This past weekend's CNY rallycross event at Rolling Wheels Raceway Park was simply awesome. They had my favorite [not counting ice and snow] conditions: dry hard packed dirt/gravel for quick runs with great traction. The thunderstorms and rain they predicted never materialized. Yes we did have a mid day 15 minute sprinkle that mixed with the dust on our cars to provide a "Monster Energy Drink" looking paint scheme.
The forecast must have scared away many because there were only 11 cars: 8 Subarus, 1 Audi Quattro, a PT Cruiser, and one old Sentra.
The field we used was just outside of the Speedway. It is perfect for rallycross.
We used part of this hard packed crushed gravel access road as well.
I ran the event on my transit tires, which were an old pair of Gislaved Nordfrost 3's, with only 5/32nds tread depth. As I had no direct competition in M2, I felt no need to burn up my like new Winterforces. I was however, scored with the rest of the field for overall position. I was the only 2WD driver there in a sea of Subarus.
Lots of seat time! Each round featured four runs for each class. We had three rounds for 12 runs. On my first run I missed a gate. I did not realize until later how severe the penalty was for this. It was the equivalent to hitting 10 cones, or 20 seconds. Next time I'll back up!
After 8 runs we took a break and it was announced that I had clawed back alot of time and got back up to third place overall. I continued to set the quick times and at the end of the event I missed first place overall by just .8 of a second [or 19.2 seconds ahead
as I like to look at it].
The overall winner was Justin Hinman who drove a really nice older 2.2 liter Impreza.
[numbers are rounded off to the second for ease in posting this]
1. #811 PA Justin Hinman 1995 Subaru Impreza 632 sec.
2. #46 M2 Mike Kamm 1991 Nissan Sentra SE-R 633 sec.
3. #434 M4 James Quattro 1995 Audi 90 Quattro 636 sec.
4. #124 SA Allen Stauffer 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS 641 sec.
5. #8 M4 Scott Newton 1995 Audi 90 Quattro 642 sec.
6. #153 SA Kris Tafner 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS 645 sec.
7. #20 SA Marc Bonbrest 2005 Subaru Forester 652 sec.
8. #666 PA Brandon Berger 1999 Subaru Forester 658 sec.
9. #1 SA Jay Cartini 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 664 sec.
10. #16 SA Mae De Bruin 1998 Subaru Forester 721 sec.
11. #282 PA Brendon Raymondi Subaru Impreza DNF
The property needed to be put back in the condition it was found in originally so we raked it up after the event.
I'll post up some SE-R pics from the event when I get a link to them.
I drove the Sentra to and from the event and as a bonus I averaged just over 38 mpg for the trip. I also found a station on Rt.20 that was still selling regular for $3.69. Everyone else was $3.85 - $3.97. I thanked the older gent who ran the station for his good price and he said that the other station owners are simply just gouging the public.