Update time. I never did make it out to an ice race this winter. I planned to run the last event of the season on Lake George but a snowstorm cancelled that weekend. So I removed the front portion of the cage, [using it as a four point] and will keep the main hoop for now so I have somewhere to mount my harnesses and Kirkey aluminum seat back to.
A bit of history regarding my "new" rallycross car.
It's a '91 that was ice raced in the new unstudded class in 2005. Ben Stratton is seen here wheeling it in this classic photo, that was used in an A.M.E.C. ice racing ad in Grassroots Motorsports back then.
The car had about 160-k miles on it then. I bought the car from Max after the 2005 ice racing season, did a bunch of needed repairs, and then used it as my daily driver for about a year.
I ran it at a Rally New York winter rallycross in Monticello the following winter. The car was then in great shape.
I sold it in the spring of 2006 to a friend and he drove it another three years, adding another 90,000 miles!
Now it was on its last legs and I bought it back. I should
have used it as a parts car. But I decided SE-R's don't grow on trees and that I could fix anything,
The price was right at $200. So I decided that I would make a new rallycross car out of it.
The car had a list of problems a mile long. I almost didn't know where to start. Mechanically, you name it, it needed attention. I thought I'd be ice racing this car at Lake George this winter so I put in the roll cage from the white '91 Sentra XE I bought last winter.
This was during disassembly to repair the numerous oil leaks. [I hate leaks and will not tolerate them]. The oil pump o-ring between the timing cover and block was the main source of the leak. I looked at the rod bearings and they were fine, so I buttoned it back up.
I made patches and welded in new sheet metal wherever holes were present. I'm not worried about perfect body work for this car. I'm just closing the holes up.
I thought I was about done with metal patching when I looked inside the right rear wheel well and noticed a patch of undercoating peeling. So I grabbed it and pulled it back. I wasn't ready for what I saw next. This is what it looked like after poking and prodding.....
Prepped for repair......
Hand made patches welded in.....
This was not a 10 minute job. I also did similar repairs for the rear floor pan and rocker boxes as well.
Additional repairs/modifications include:
1. Heater core replaced - used from parts car
2. Right rear wheel bearing - ebay
3. Exhaust system - home built
4. Windshield - used
5. AGX adjustable Struts - [fronts] - $79 ea.
6. Eibach lowering springs [rear] - donated
7. Brake lines replaced
8. Momo "Monte Carlo" steering wheel - donated
9. Replaced bent engine crossmember - from parts car
10. Energy urethane engine mounts
11. Kirkey aluminum seat - from old B11 race car
12. Simpson 5-way harness - free from a drag racer - [2007 date]
I still have almost no money in this car, but if you count labor, I have about $10,000 in it. :p
To be continued......