SR20 Forum banner

The SR20DE(t) Compression/HeadCode List

104K views 135 replies 82 participants last post by  y2kg20 
#1 · (Edited)
This new thread has been carried over from:
http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=132558

This is a post for pople trying to identify what engine they have...
Lets keep this to ONE POST PER PERSON UNLESS YOU NEED TO ADD SOMETHING. Make sure to include your USDM motors also. Also Inclued other markings on the head like 5R 1R 3L and such Tell alittle about your engine so we can get a list of what to look for in 10:1's and so on.. Pictures would be great also! Turbos will be added soon This list will be updated often!!!!

Head #'s
1N5 V1 - SR16VE
1N5 V2 - SR20VE
5J -
51N -
52F - Larger Exhaust Valves Silvia engine
53C - JDM Pulsar GTi-R. 8.3:1 T28 Turbo Low Imp. 444cc Injectors Larger Top Mount Intercooler Larger Oil Cooler Solid Lifters Ind. TB's Oil Squirters
53J 2L- Flat Pistons, highport, egrless and gold/black Valve cover (*)
53J 2R - Normal pistons, highport, egrless and gold/black Valve cover
53J 4R - found in South African Nissan Sentra's and Sabre's. Silver valve cover and 10:1 compression.
53J 7R. Gold Valve cover with black strip down middle, egr-less, tubulor exhaust, highport
53J V1 - USDM Black Channel Valve Cover Highport 9.5:1 1990-92 Red Injectors EGR OBD-1
53J V2 - 1R USDM Silver Valve Cover Highport 9.5:1 Red Injectors EGR OBD-1 1993 RIBS
53J V3 - 5R JDM Ribs on head Silver Valve Cover Red Injectors Mitsubu Alt. tubular ex. manifold 1/1 in circle and /5 in circle on head beside 53J
53J V4 - JDM Black Channel valve cover
53J V5 - JDM Silver Valve Cover No Ribs
53J V6 - BlueBird SR20DET 8.5:1 sodium filled valves 7mm stem Oil Squirters T25 Turbo High Imp. 370cc Injectors Top Mount Intercooler Oil Cooler Hydraulic Lifters Single TB
53J V7 - JDM Black Channel valve cover tubular ex. manifold 10:1
53J V8 - 2L W11 Avenir 8.5:1 silver valve cover Ribs 370cc purple injectors T25 ball bearing turbo Big TPS No EGR Mitsu altenator High port Internal coil OBD-I Stock oil catch can steel pipe has a built in restrictor.........the one the runs from the valve cover forward then behind the distributor to the stock catch can. same BOV/CBV as teh 1stGen DSM
53J V9 - W10 weaker BOV then the W11 Non ball bearing turbo 8.5:1
53J V10 - 3L 10:1 JDM bare aluminum cover w/ black in the middle No Ribs under the coil there is a circle with a line through it and a small number 7
53J V11 - 2R I think this is a W10 BlueBird SR20DET 8.5:1 sodium filled valves 7mm stem Oil Squirters T25 Turbo High Imp. 370cc Injectors Top Mount Intercooler Oil Cooler Hydraulic Lifters Single TB Red V/C black channel
53J V12 - 3L JDM Ribbed head, All silver valve cover, either a 6 or 9 and a 1 in circles under the coil.
53J V13 - 8R JDM with an 8 in a circle behind the coil bare aluminum vc tubular header external coil and egrless of course highport ribs on the side of head
53J V14 - 8L USDM Ribs 93 NX2000 All Silver Valve cover 9.5:1
54C - N14 Pulsar DET
54D -
58Y - SR18DE JDM highport.
64J - SR18DE SR18Di JDM lowport.
65J - 2R 2J2 10:1 JDM Silver valve cover
78E - BlueBird SR20DET (53J Head) Larger Exhaust Valves
79E - Larger Exhaust Valves
89H - SR20DE Silver Valve Cover U.K. '94 SLX P10 lowport No ribs 10.0:1.
89J - SR20DE Red Valve Cover UK lowport sodium filled valves 10:1 Gray 259cc Injectors .
94Y V1 - 3L SR20DE US lowport 9.5:1 OBD-1 1994
94Y V2 - SR20DE US lowport 9.5:1 OBD-2 1995-99
96J - 1R UK Redtop 10:1 Highport (UK 101 1R 96J head)Gray 259cc Injectors Mitsubu Alt. sodium filled valves
Unknown - USDM B15 Roller Motor Nonpainted VC 9.5:1 OBD-2
Unknown V1 - AUTECH 11.5:1 175hp for Lucino Nonpainted VC
Unknown V2 - AUTECH 11.5:1 180hp for Primera Nonpainted VC
Unknown - 53J 4R, JDM 53J 3L, 53J 1R McRib USDM, 53J 4J???, 53J 4L

Cars With 10:1's or higher

Nissan 100Nx GTi
Nissan Sunny GTi
Nissan Almera 2.0 GTi
Nissan Almera Tino 2.0
Primera HNP11
Primera 2.0e HP10
Primera 2.0eGT (5 door) FHP10
Primera 2.0GT FHP11
Primera 2.0Te HP11
Primera 2.0T4 HNP10
Primera Wagon WHNP11
Nissan Primera Wagon 2.0 WHP11
Prairie Liberty GF-PNM12
Autech Sunny Lucino Version B13
Autech Lucino Version 3 door N14
Autech Pulsar SERIE Version N14
Pulsar GTi Autech version N14
Autech Primera 2.0e HP10
Tommy Kaira ZZ-S
Tommy Kaira ZZ
Nissan Avenir GF-PW11
Nissan PRESEA 1.8L R11
South African Nissan Sentra's and Sabre's.

PLEASE KEEP IT TO ONE POST PER PERSON UNLESS YOU NEED TO ADD SOMETHING

Ribs on the head

See less See more
#3 ·
I just looked over mine.
Silver/Champagne VC with black channel. 53J 1R head.
On top of the head, where the valve cover sits there is a tab right over the Radiator hose that says Y68. On the distributor side I have a tab similar to the other that reads 23. Red injectors, EGRless, and came with tubular manifold.

I ordered it from Soko.com. It's a jdm motor, supposedly a 91/92 model. JDM VIN # on block reads 009223A.

#4 ·
WAFFLES said:
I just looked over mine.
Silver/Champagne VC with black channel. 53J 1R head.
On top of the head, where the valve cover sits there is a tab right over the Radiator hose that says Y68. On the distributor side I have a tab similar to the other that reads 23. Red injectors, EGRless, and came with tubular manifold.
I ordered it from Soko.com. It's a jdm motor, supposedly a 91/92 model. JDM VIN # on block reads 009223A.
I added this one since it is one of the "unknown" headcodes, thanks.

#5 ·
JTstyle said:
Just bought this Donor car for my swap with JDM engine, valve cover appears to be champagne/silver with black channel. I think I have an older motor, here is the code I found.
that is the vin code on the block, look for the code next to the distributor on the HEAD

#11 ·
evilnissan said:
ok i have the autech lucino serie pulsar n15 shape with the sr20de motor
with a 53J no other numbers or letters after it does have the non painted vc
also i have the 10:1 comprestion
also as far as i know the autech never cam out in the n14 only the n15 shape
so what do you people think i have
go dyno your car and we will know. The autech should make like 150whp or something bone stock.

#14 · (Edited)
JDM motor with 53J 2L on the head. Silver valve cover with black stripe down middle of plug valley. Highport motor. Unknown compression.

edit*** was looking at old compression list. found this. "We recently pulled b14xxxser's head 53J block & 53J 2L Head, It had 10:1 pistons, same red injectors, and an aluminum colored VC."

#15 ·
the engine is a primera engine the code on the block reads 53J 3L it has the black stream in the middle . i saw on this thread that the engine with this code is a 10:1 JMD engine with a 7 and a slash thru it under the coil , but when i look under my coil i see a 8 with a slash thru it.
is this the same engine /or is there a difference? what does the 8 means?

#18 ·
nevermind....i didnt have my new JDM DE motor at my house, its at my shop, and i couldnt remember the stamping on it

ANYHOW I went there today....I Have a 4R head...anybody know the compression or am I going to have to pull the head off?

red injectors, bare alum. VC, the Mitsu Dist. has the internal coil and power transistor, and it has the cast iron tubular-syle manifold...I think thats it

#19 ·
BRE92SER said:
nevermind....i didnt have my new JDM DE motor at my house, its at my shop, and i couldnt remember the stamping on it
ANYHOW I went there today....I Have a 4R head...anybody know the compression or am I going to have to pull the head off?
red injectors, bare alum. VC, the Mitsu Dist. has the internal coil and power transistor, and it has the cast iron tubular-syle manifold...I think thats it
you just contradicted yourself, how can you have a cast iron tubular-style manifold?

It sounds like a newer motor with the internal coil.

#20 ·
its cast iron...but it has longer primaries then the one from my 92,amd they are more seperated from each other....like it matters anyway, ive already put the gen5 on it.

yeah it has a similar dist to the later USDM ones. If I ever have to tear the head off i'll measure the mechanical compression, and look at the valves to see if they're soduim

#23 ·
no luck....all I see is a dark fluid substance!
...guess i'll have to replace that HG after all....i just hope it doesnt need stem seals, too

maybe thats the reason the h20 pump bearing was so bad, and all the hoses are so gummed up..?

#24 ·
venom2727 said:
the engine is a primera engine the code on the block reads 53J 3L it has the black stream in the middle . i saw on this thread that the engine with this code is a 10:1 JMD engine with a 7 and a slash thru it under the coil , but when i look under my coil i see a 8 with a slash thru it.
is this the same engine /or is there a difference? what does the 8 means?
can anyone explain this engine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.