"muddy" colored oil? - SR20 Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 02:27 PM
SE-R Geek
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: philly, pa
Posts: 3,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
(Thread Starter)
"muddy" colored oil?

I have a quick question. What does it mean when the i drop the oil pan and see some "muddy" colored and feeling oil? This is from a gtir motor, which hasn't ran in a few years and has been sitting in a warehouse. Could there be something wrong? or maybe just from sitting this happens?? I am starting to worry a little bit about this, but its not in the head, because i had the valve cover off and all was fine, besides a little sludge build up. I am assuming the motor wasn't taken care of very well, but definitely not beat up. To me it seems like the oil wasn't changed enough and maybe thats just what you get when you don't change your oil enough??? My next thought would be a blown headgasket, which I am praying its not??

Anybody have any ideas?

91 SE-R: SR20DE (soon to be stock)
jonwepa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 02:39 PM
JMAN
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa Canada
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Muddy as in you can feel sediment? I'd personally stay away. Blown HG would be milky like.

1993 Altima/SR20DET
4DoorSR is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 02:48 PM
SE-R Geek
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: philly, pa
Posts: 3,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorSR View Post
Muddy as in you can feel sediment? I'd personally stay away. Blown HG would be milky like.
First off i already have the motor, but no there is nothing in the oil, like metal or anything it's just sludgy and thick. Now this isn't all the oil, just a little in the oil pan. Like I said though the car has been sitting for a few years and everything that was up is all at the bottom now.

I looked in the upper pan and its fine, with just again some black sludge. The oil in this motor wasn't changed very often.

91 SE-R: SR20DE (soon to be stock)
jonwepa is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 02:50 PM
SE-R Geek
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: philly, pa
Posts: 3,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Damn, so milky would mean blown head gasket huh? I guess I am going to have to take the head off and change the head gasket. Is it definitely a head gasket?

91 SE-R: SR20DE (soon to be stock)
jonwepa is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:01 PM
SE-R Geek
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: philly, pa
Posts: 3,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Anybody else? When i bought the motor it had no intake mani on it, so couldn't some moister gotten in there that way? Also I sprayed some engine cleaner and brake clean all over too inside the intake and exhaust manifold ports. Maybe that? And it wasn't alot either just a little......

91 SE-R: SR20DE (soon to be stock)
jonwepa is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:09 PM
SE-R Geek
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: philly, pa
Posts: 3,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Ok well I am going to take the head off and do a head gasket while the motor is still out. It can't hurt. I am jst really bummed because i was ready for a swap and now I have to do a Head gasket. Any recommendations??

91 SE-R: SR20DE (soon to be stock)
jonwepa is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Tunner Pride
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: OK
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if you let oil sit in an engine for that long period of time it will sludge up and and become realy nasty. i would say the you couldnt realy tell if it was a headgasket unless you put new oil in and ran it for a couple weeks, or just pulled the head. i would say that you ok. just clean it realy good with parts cleaner, put it together put some castrol gtx(realy good anti sludge oil) in it run it for about 5-10 min, change the oil and just wait to see how it holds up. moisture, oil and time can create lots of sludge. hope this helps
boosted_nx is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 08:38 PM
SE-R Geek
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: philly, pa
Posts: 3,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted_nx View Post
if you let oil sit in an engine for that long period of time it will sludge up and and become realy nasty. i would say the you couldnt realy tell if it was a headgasket unless you put new oil in and ran it for a couple weeks, or just pulled the head. i would say that you ok. just clean it realy good with parts cleaner, put it together put some castrol gtx(realy good anti sludge oil) in it run it for about 5-10 min, change the oil and just wait to see how it holds up. moisture, oil and time can create lots of sludge. hope this helps
Yeah, after some thinking and talking to some knowledgeable people I am going to put it in without touching the headgasket. I think from sitting without a intake mani on it for a couple of years in some nasty warehouse caused this sludge build-up???? I just can't see a car with 50,000 miles on it, built as well as this motor is having a bad head gasket. I mean I am sure it can happen, but I highly doubt it.....well we will see what happen's when it cranks over for the first time in a LONG time this weekend(fingers crossed)

91 SE-R: SR20DE (soon to be stock)
jonwepa is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Done.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 'Deen, MD
Posts: 3,923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Do it right the first time, or you'll be doing it often.

You've got the motor sitting there, now is the time to replace some key components. I'd replace the head gasket, headstuds, water pump, oil pump, and gaskets. Better to do it while the motor is out of the car, and before you put it in and end up having issues. A motor that's been sitting in a warehouse for 3 years probably isn't the best to just toss in a car and run.

SR20DEEP MD

12 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium
04 Subaru WRX 'goon
Cliff is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:50 AM
SE-R Geek
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: philly, pa
Posts: 3,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKKiE View Post
Do it right the first time, or you'll be doing it often.

You've got the motor sitting there, now is the time to replace some key components. I'd replace the head gasket, headstuds, water pump, oil pump, and gaskets. Better to do it while the motor is out of the car, and before you put it in and end up having issues. A motor that's been sitting in a warehouse for 3 years probably isn't the best to just toss in a car and run.
Well I already changed the oil & water pumps, cleaned the head & oil pan. I am doing a leak down test today and if it fails then I'll do the head gasket, which I think is fine anyway. All the cleaning fluid from me cleaning the head had to go somwwhere and thats where it went.

I'll keep you all updated.....

btw why would i mess with the already very strong head studs

91 SE-R: SR20DE (soon to be stock)

Last edited by jonwepa; 07-25-2008 at 02:55 PM.
jonwepa is offline  
#11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 10:06 PM
SE-R Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: stratford CT
Posts: 1,759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
because if your gonna do a head gasket why would you be silly enough to re-use your origional bolts?

if you were going to buy new bolts why not just get head studs for extra peice of mind.
dxpxe is offline  
#12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 10:23 PM
SE-R Geek
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: philly, pa
Posts: 3,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxpxe View Post
because if your gonna do a head gasket why would you be silly enough to re-use your origional bolts?

if you were going to buy new bolts why not just get head studs for extra peice of mind.
Makes sense. Hopefully I won't have too. I got the motor in today and should have it running by the weekend.

91 SE-R: SR20DE (soon to be stock)
jonwepa is offline  
#13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 10:36 PM
SE-R Lightweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: EASTERN CT
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKKiE View Post
Do it right the first time, or you'll be doing it often.

You've got the motor sitting there, now is the time to replace some key components. I'd replace the head gasket, headstuds, water pump, oil pump, and gaskets. Better to do it while the motor is out of the car, and before you put it in and end up having issues. A motor that's been sitting in a warehouse for 3 years probably isn't the best to just toss in a car and run.
X2^^ I also purchsed a gtir motor that sat for atleast 3 years. i did a compression test before i put it in the car and got 25psi and no more than 45, even using oil in the cylinders! I said screw it and threw it in...BIG MISTAKE! lots of issues, and tons of time wasted. compression did end up going up to the norm but i had a intake mani leak, my oil pan was dented,water pump leaked, timing was off a tooth and the company sent me the wrong maf!! wish i did it right the first time You should also check the injectors, fuel rail and fpr because mine was all plugged up with rust and corrosion. At the time it was my first swap and didnt know much about our engines or this forum boy i wish i knew what i know now!! Anyways PLEASE DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!! GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING!

George
B13GFB4 is offline  
#14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 10:37 PM
SE-R Lightweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: EASTERN CT
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwepa View Post
Makes sense. Hopefully I won't have too. I got the motor in today and should have it running by the weekend.
I hope all goes well for you bro
B13GFB4 is offline  
#15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 07:57 AM
SE-R Geek
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: philly, pa
Posts: 3,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B13GFB4 View Post
X2^^ I also purchsed a gtir motor that sat for atleast 3 years. i did a compression test before i put it in the car and got 25psi and no more than 45, even using oil in the cylinders! I said screw it and threw it in...BIG MISTAKE! lots of issues, and tons of time wasted. compression did end up going up to the norm but i had a intake mani leak, my oil pan was dented,water pump leaked, timing was off a tooth and the company sent me the wrong maf!! wish i did it right the first time You should also check the injectors, fuel rail and fpr because mine was all plugged up with rust and corrosion. At the time it was my first swap and didnt know much about our engines or this forum boy i wish i knew what i know now!! Anyways PLEASE DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!! GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING!

George
Everything that went wrong with YOUR motor has nothing to do with mine. I changed the intake manifold and gasket, all injectors, valve cover was also removed and all timing is fine, I didn't get a maf, my oil pan's were removed and cleaned and checked, my water and oil pumps were both changed too, so basically my situation and yours are completely different.

Anyway engine's in and will be cranked over in a few days when all wiring and vacuuming are done, so i will keep you all updated.

91 SE-R: SR20DE (soon to be stock)
jonwepa is offline  
#16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 05:31 PM
SE-R Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: stratford CT
Posts: 1,759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
i could type a whole big long post explaining that your situations are very similar.

but im just gonna call you a douchebag

george posts a reply to give you some words of advice and your snotty with him? maybe thats not how you meant it but it sure as heck seems that way to me.

theres thousands of threads on gti-r swaps and everything related to it aswell as oil sample tests and if you've been a member for over a year then you should know this.

so heres a suggestion, say thankyou when someone offers advice and if you dont want to then get used to using the search button. not to many people are going to help a 30 year old unappreciative jerk
dxpxe is offline  
#17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 05:51 PM
SE-R Geek
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: philly, pa
Posts: 3,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxpxe View Post
i could type a whole big long post explaining that your situations are very similar.

but im just gonna call you a douchebag

george posts a reply to give you some words of advice and your snotty with him? maybe thats not how you meant it but it sure as heck seems that way to me.

theres thousands of threads on gti-r swaps and everything related to it aswell as oil sample tests and if you've been a member for over a year then you should know this.

so heres a suggestion, say thankyou when someone offers advice and if you dont want to then get used to using the search button. not to many people are going to help a 30 year old unappreciative jerk

If I came off as snotty I apoligize. I meant no disrespect and listen to everything I'm told. How many things have u told me and I listened? I did a leakdown test and everything was fine, changed both the oil and water pumps, etc......so where did I come off as a jerk, which btw I take ALOT of offense to.

91 SE-R: SR20DE (soon to be stock)
jonwepa is offline  
#18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 06:16 PM
SE-R Geek
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: philly, pa
Posts: 3,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Ok, I am home now and see that your talking about B13GFB4. How in the hell did I come off as snotty or duchebag or whatever other derogatory word you used to describe me???? All I was saying was that he was basically telling me things i already knew(searched for) and or was already told. How is that being a jerk?? I went over all the things he said and was just saying that his situation and mine were different, because of the reasons stated above thats all. I think you got a little carried away with all the name calling bro. I always take advice from anybody who is willing to give it including yourself who has helped me out tremendously with this swap.

Again if i came off like that to george (B13GFB4) I apologize and didn't mean it that way. I hope we can move on from this, because I am not a jerk or douchebag and think that was way out of line. I mean if I said he was stupid or something of that nature then fine i would deserve to be called a jerk, but what I did was harmless and just said that his situation and mine were not the same again becuase i already did everything he said in his thread.

and btw searching is overrated because it takes me over a hour to eventually find something that helps.

91 SE-R: SR20DE (soon to be stock)

Last edited by jonwepa; 07-29-2008 at 06:22 PM.
jonwepa is offline  
#19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 06:40 PM
SE-R Lightweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: EASTERN CT
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwepa View Post
Ok, I am home now and see that your talking about B13GFB4. How in the hell did I come off as snotty or duchebag or whatever other derogatory word you used to describe me???? All I was saying was that he was basically telling me things i already knew(searched for) and or was already told. How is that being a jerk?? I went over all the things he said and was just saying that his situation and mine were different, because of the reasons stated above thats all. I think you got a little carried away with all the name calling bro. I always take advice from anybody who is willing to give it including yourself who has helped me out tremendously with this swap.

Again if i came off like that to george (B13GFB4) I apologize and didn't mean it that way. I hope we can move on from this, because I am not a jerk or douchebag and think that was way out of line. I mean if I said he was stupid or something of that nature then fine i would deserve to be called a jerk, but what I did was harmless and just said that his situation and mine were not the same again becuase i already did everything he said in his thread.

and btw searching is overrated because it takes me over a hour to eventually find something that helps.
Well it did come off sounding snotty...definetly! I dont like to hold grudges against people so we are all good Yes searching is a huge pain in the ass but hey you do what you gotta do.

Anyways, It sounds like you have coverd everything and hope she fires right up for you

Thanks dan for having my back homie

G
B13GFB4 is offline  
#20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 09:04 PM
SE-R Geek
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: philly, pa
Posts: 3,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B13GFB4 View Post
Well it did come off sounding snotty...definetly! I dont like to hold grudges against people so we are all good Yes searching is a huge pain in the ass but hey you do what you gotta do.

Anyways, It sounds like you have coverd everything and hope she fires right up for you

Thanks dan for having my back homie

G

Well again I do apologize and I hope your boy there dan can forgive me too. Like I said I didn't mean for it to come off snotty in anyway. I must have been having a bad day

Anyway thanks for being cool and like I said I hope your boy can come around too, because he helps me out alot!

91 SE-R: SR20DE (soon to be stock)
jonwepa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  SR20 Forum > Main Forums > Turbo


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome