60': 2.279
330: 6.351
1/8: 9.757
MPH: 72.19
1/4: 15.203 (woo-hoo!)
MPH: 89.48

CAI, dented hotshot Gen3 header, UR 2-pulley, 16 degrees w/87 octane

stock: suspension, tires, CAMS, ECU, exhaust

My previous best (same mods as above without the dent, add S3 cams and 93 octane)
60': 2.271
330: 6.408
1/8: 9.874
MPH: 70.78
1/4: 15.423
MPH: 87.94

Conclusion: S3 cams HATE 7100 redline

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2800-3000. Any more than that and I had too much spin (slip clutch launches).

It was cooler on Saturday (50 deg) than my previous best (probably 70-75 degrees). That temperature difference isn't big enough to gain 1/4 second, is it?

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jacen99SE:
R/T: .801 (my R/T sucked all day)
60': 2.279
330: 6.351
1/8: 9.757
MPH: 72.19
1/4: 15.203 (woo-hoo!)
MPH: 89.48

CAI, dented hotshot Gen3 header, UR 2-pulley, 16 degrees w/87 octane

stock: suspension, tires, CAMS, ECU, exhaust

My previous best (same mods as above without the dent, add S3 cams and 93 octane)
60': 2.271
330: 6.408
1/8: 9.874
MPH: 70.78
1/4: 15.423
MPH: 87.94

Conclusion: S3 cams HATE 7100 redline
</font>
You lost me...are you saying you went slower with the cams with less mph?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You lost me...are you saying you went slower with the cams with less mph?</font>
Yes.
And the stock 99 cams are the lowest lift cams available. I was in the low 15.3s on other runs, but only that one run was in the 15.2s.
I think I was slower with the S3 cams because of the 7100 redline and the stock exhaust. I have a dyno plot of the car with S3 cams so it's not a bad-install problem.

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jacen99SE:
Yes.
And the stock 99 cams are the lowest lift cams available. I was in the low 15.3s on other runs, but only that one run was in the 15.2s.
I think I was slower with the S3 cams because of the 7100 redline and the stock exhaust. I have a dyno plot of the car with S3 cams so it's not a bad-install problem.
</font>
Something was wrong then. To lose 2mph after the S3 install something was wrong.

Headwind, driving, heat soak...something...even with a 7100rpm rev limit.

The cams don't lose any power above 5K so in the worst case scenario when you were not taking advantage of the cams extra power up top the run should have at least matched the previous run all else being equal.

Post your dyno sheet and I'll plot the curve to see if you indeed lost power on the bottom end that would affect your acceleration.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
The 7100rpm redline has nothing to do with causing you to be slower with the s3 cams. Thats kinda like saying your saving weight by driving with a full tank.

True, the cams like going past 7100rpms, but it wouldn't make the car slower.

BTW, I ran a 15.454 @ 88mph with just a CAI and Header in my 98 SE.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jay,
I emailed you the chart because I haven't learned how to post a picture yet.

The 15.42 was my old car (also a 99SE). It got totaled and I stripped the parts off it and bought another 99SE. That's why my header is now dented. I was consistently running 15.42-15.44 @88.5 mph.

So the 15.2 is the recent run.

Now this 2nd car(i bought it used) I have put my old parts on except the cams (and what is left of the suspension). I am driving a little different (lower rpm launch, earlier shifting) but I even cut the same 60' time. I had to shift into 4th in both cars.

I have no idea what the headwind was either time. I was there a couple different days in the old car and was often in the 15.4-15.5 range. This was my only day running in the new car. How much wind would it take to make that difference assuming you were using the exact same car?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Jason, what was your timing set at? 17-18 degrees or 15-16 degrees? I remember recalling from both Rob Cadle and N.Dahi that the S3s yielded more hp when they retarded their timing a few degrees to 15-16 degrees. This was on the stock ECU of course. I don't think that would cause the difference in performance though. Well, my S3s come in Wed. Hopefully, I can upload some(before&after) dyno sheets once my cams are in. I also have a 99. BTW Jason, the rear sway bar works very well!!! Now if I can only get my hands on those AEBS headers...Any SELLERS?!?

G

·
Jay, This is his second 98 SE. with the first car he went 15.4 @ 87 with CAI, header, pullies, and S3s. That car was totaled and this is a differant car. He went 15.2 @ 89 with this car minus the cams. Maybe this is just a lil stronger car?

MarC

[This message has been edited by ser_200sx (edited 03-05-2001).]

G

·
I witnessed as I ran 20 seconds at 45 mph against him, we race all the time at edgewater. I find it odd too. The only thing I could think of was timing. a lot of the times we went I remember him having the timing at 17 or so. Thats all I can think of or he got a stronger car.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Thats damn good Jason. I was running the same times with the S3 cams,exhaust,hs header,CAI,timing and pullies.

Mike

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, my timing was a little too high with the S3 cams (17-18). The evidence from Cadle was just coming out the last time I was at the dragstrip so I never ran with the timing any lower.

sakerocket, has your car been working fine since the maintenance we did after the track?

G

·
I'm towing it to nissan today it wont stay at idle for nothing. It shuts off. I posted yesterday on the main list. Check it for all the details, its to long to talk about here.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Jacen, I've re-searched this topic and after all of it I'm still gonna have to disagree with stating that the S3 cams make the car slower with the stock ECU.

For one example: I'm my 91 SE-R I ran consistent 15.6's @ 88mph with CAI/Header/Exhaust, then I dropped a set of JWT s3 cams in the car and ran a 15.1 @ 90mph. Thats an increase of half a second, this was with the stock ECU mind you.

Yes I know my '91 had a higher rev-limit than the 98's do.

Now for another example, I recently dropped a set of JWT s4 cams in my '98 SE with the shitty 7100rpms limiter, and I felt a huge difference, on the highway, off the line, anywhere past like 4500rpms. I ran a 15.4 @ 88mph with my '98 SE with a CAI and Header last year. I plan on running the car again with the s4 cams at the end of the month and I'm sure my ET's will improve.

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/15 Pirelli P700Z's on SE-R wheels, 205/40/17 Kuhmos on 17" Borbet Type S's for the summer

15.454 @ 88mph at
Englishtown, NJ - stock cams

14's this season

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I seem to remember the burnout smoke drifting slightly backwards (away from the crowd). So the 15.2 was in almost no wind to slightly into the wind.

Nick, what do you remember about the wind?
All the times last year I remember the smoke blowing into the crowd, which would mean a slight tailwind.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Now for another example, I recently dropped a set of JWT s4 cams in my '98 SE with the shitty 7100rpms limiter, and I felt a huge difference, on the highway, off the line, anywhere past like 4500rpms. </font>
When I put the S3 cams in my original car, I also felt a great kick at 4500rpm. I don't feel that same kick in my current car. But I'm faster than I used to be.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Now for another example, I recently dropped a set of JWT s4 cams in my '98 SE with the shitty 7100rpms limiter, and I felt a huge difference, on the highway, off the line, anywhere past like 4500rpms. I ran a 15.4 @ 88mph with my '98 SE with a CAI and Header last year. I plan on running the car again with the s4 cams at the end of the month and I'm sure my ET's will improve.</font>
After you do, post your entire timeslip from your previous best and your entire timeslip from your new best. We can stop our friendly debating and wait for the evidence.

Now with an aftermarket exhaust it would probably be a different story. (B14)

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Oh yes, I surely will post my results. I just hope I can get a similar or identical 60' foot time for a true comparison (my 60' foot time on my 15.4 run was a 2.325 on stock RSA's)

I now have sticky Pirellis so I'm hoping my 60' foots will drop down in the 2.2's or so. I guess we will find out soon enough.

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/15 Pirelli P700Z's on SE-R wheels, 205/40/17 Kuhmos on 17" Borbet Type S's for the summer

15.454 @ 88mph at
Englishtown, NJ - stock cams

14's this season

1 - 20 of 26 Posts