SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, maybe somebody can help me out here. im confused at why some newer cars run such low times. for example, classic se-rs run like15.8 with 140hp 132torque and like 2600pds i think. then the SI has 160 hp, uhmm aroud 120-130 torque, weight around 2700pds maybe, and runs 15.6??!? how is this? same for rsx type-s, in scc they ran it 15.6 w/ freakin 200hp, 142torque, and only 2775 lbs! how?!? my only guess is that is has somethin to do with the whole variable valve timing ways of the newer cars or lots of tire spin with the crappy stock tires.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Yep, torque is God at the dragstrip. Kiko, think of it this way, oversimplified:

Torque gets you there.

Horsepower keeps you there.

I know it's an oversimplification, but it illustrates why torque, not hp, is really what matters at the dragstrip.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yah, i completely understand torque, but then what about the new se-r??? 140 torque 150torque at the wheels and an lsd! which is much higher than the classic, and weighs in at 2750lbs, does that extra 300lbs really make that much difference??? i know that imports live on weight/power, but it seems like with all that torque, it could hit atleast low 15s. but scc only 15.7, which is .1 better than the classic. pretty sad after 8 years. oh and btw, you think we could swap in the spec v 6spd into the classic?? i really need another gear!

·
boosting
1,454 Posts
KikoSanchez182 said:
yah, i completely understand torque, but then what about the new se-r??? 140 torque 150torque at the wheels and an lsd! which is much higher than the classic, and weighs in at 2750lbs, does that extra 300lbs really make that much difference??? i know that imports live on weight/power, but it seems like with all that torque, it could hit atleast low 15s. but scc only 15.7, which is .1 better than the classic. pretty sad after 8 years. oh and btw, you think we could swap in the spec v 6spd into the classic?? i really need another gear!
I know why you want another gear you must have 5 gear pop out right? LOL

·
Registered
705 Posts
It helps to know how to drive too, LOL. I know people who have gotten 15.1's and 15.2's out of an SE-R with just a muffler or and intake.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Its true, its all about the power to weight ratio of a car and how fast it is. The sr20 has very good torque and power for how much it actually weighs. Whereas the si has good horsepower, but virutally no torque, so its a slug off the line until it hits its v-tec zone. You gotta have the torque to get you off the line, good horsepower numbers are good for up top, and the less weight your pulling, the faster you will be. its all about power/weight ratio whether it be an import or domestic. The less weight you have to pull around, the faster your car. The new spec-v is too heavy....thats why its not much faster if at all then the classic.

·
Registered
765 Posts
you dont necessarily need that torque to get off of the line. Like in my brother's 99 Prelude. Sure it weighs 2900 lbs (verified on the scale) and is pretty heavy, but we launch it from around 5000 RPMS and it takes off like a mofo. If I dont get a perfect launch in my SE-R he kills me off the line. I know ppl with Si's who launch from 5000 RPM and that "no torque" issue doesnt really matter b/c theyre taking off right on the edge of vtec crossover. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

·
Registered
705 Posts
NismoNx2000 said:
The less weight you have to pull around, the faster your car. The new spec-v is too heavy....thats why its not much faster if at all then the classic.
Im just wondering, but do you even know how much the Spec V weighs?! It weighs about 2750 lbs. My car weighs 2550. Thats only a difference of 200lbs. Thats like sitting an extra person in my car, and I know my car is still fast with an extra person in it. You guys need to stop makin excuses with weight, and just learn how to drive the car to get the most out of it. 200lbs isn't gonna take 2 seconds off the quarter mile time or anything. Stop speculating.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
nobody said it would take 2 seconds off the quarter mile...you can't say that weight isnt a factor, becuase it is. A 91 G20 is 200 pounds heavier then the 91 Classic se-r....its also a full second slower to 60 then the se-r as well. Your talking 7.3 seconds as compared to 8.3 or 8.4 or so....the weight obviously makes a difference. Truly it does depend on the driver, but the power to weight raito is also a big factor when it comes to how a car performs.

·
Registered
487 Posts
SeattleSE R said:
Magazine Racers suck.
True dat...I've seen as much as a half a second difference on 0-60 times for a single car, tested by different magazine drivers.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sleeping 91ser said:

I know why you want another gear you must have 5 gear pop out right? LOL
hehe, nah, i just think my car just seems a bit too stressed at highway speeds

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh, and speaking of weight... i used this program that i made to calculate 1/4 ets with reduced weight, so i put in 2600lbs, and 15.8e.t.(stock, and just a guess). then i took off 200 lbs, and it game me: 15.18, so that a good dip in time, now how much would i need to take out for 200lbs? i was thinkin spare+seats, how much do seats weigh? and what about the sunrodf? any way to take it off?

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
KikoSanchez182 said:
oh, and speaking of weight... i used this program that i made to calculate 1/4 ets with reduced weight, so i put in 2600lbs, and 15.8e.t.(stock, and just a guess). then i took off 200 lbs, and it game me: 15.18, so that a good dip in time, now how much would i need to take out for 200lbs? i was thinkin spare+seats, how much do seats weigh? and what about the sunrodf? any way to take it off?
A rule of thumb I here from old school dragracers is: 100lbs is worth a tenth of a second. Which would mean a car running 15.4's with just a driver would be netting 15.6's with an additional person in the car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ive hear the same thing about the 100 pounds theory...Only problem is, how many 100 pound friends do you have? Most my friends weigh in at around 170-200..Also, Motor Trend recently tested the SpecV at a 15.4 as well as someone on b15sentra.net..Both these times were launching like sissies and the guy on b15sentra.net had another person in the car..With drag radials this car has the potential for some much lower times..I mean the tires are continental's??? come on...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i think it does a lot to do with how much you initially weigh. b/c a car that weighs 2000pds will gain more with 200pds shaved off, than a 5,000pd giant with 200pds shaved off, all about percentages, and the old school cars weighed like 4000 pounds haha

·
Registered
448 Posts
Kiko, get off the magazines, "calculators", GT2/3, and every other "simulator".

Go to the track. It's not as easy as saying Car X has Y hp so it should be car Z with Y hp. Not that simple.

gear ratios, power curve, tires, driver, weight, weather conditions etc all are a factor.

I went [email protected] with a cone filter in a 97 SE-R. There you go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts