SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would I expect to run in a '93 classic high port(injectors over TB) with: Custom ram air intake, header, into straight through piping and muffler from the cat, and S4 cams.

Just general times...like low 15's, high 14's??? With a decent driver

Also with the S4's, how bad is the idle and do they sacrafice low end power? i am debating if I wanna get them. thanks, shea.

·
Registered
270 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sheabird:

Just general times...like low 15's, high 14's??? With a decent driver

Also with the S4's, how bad is the idle and do they sacrafice low end power? i am debating if I wanna get them. thanks, shea.
</font>
You will definitely have a low 15s car or possible high 14s. As far as the idle is concerned it is not bad but you would lose a little bit of lower end power but will gain a lot of high end power. I think it's definitely worth the cam change.

------------------
k&n filter,g3 hs headers, no cat,greddy,fpr,jwt motormounts,54mmAFM,stage3 clutch,jwt flywheel,jwt s3 cams,aerospeed springs,konig tuners, 15.1 @ 91.6, no LSD

·
Registered
94 Posts
Also with the S4's, how bad is the idle and do they sacrafice low end power? i am debating if I wanna get them. thanks, shea.</font>
The S4 cams lose a noticable amount of low-end power (it's not noticable until you start doing a lot of stoplight-to-stoplight driving) under 2000 RPM. The idle isn't too bad, but it is very noticable if you have stiffer aftermarket engine mounts installed.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pit_Viper:
The S4 cams lose a noticable amount of low-end power (it's not noticable until you start doing a lot of stoplight-to-stoplight driving) under 2000 RPM. The idle isn't too bad, but it is very noticable if you have stiffer aftermarket engine mounts installed.</font>

Yeah, just go for a drive with me in my car! I have the S4 cams and the full ES mounts set...as WELL as a suspiciously low idle (about 600-700rpms on average) in my car. It idles like a ****ing 18 wheeler truck or hopped up Mustang. I had several people ask me what the hell was wrong with my car when they heard it idling, either as a passenger in my car or sitting next to me at a stop light. I've also watched Mustang and Camaro guys mouths drop wide open after listening to my idle and I tell them it's just a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder. They didn't believe me and made me pop the hood.

------------------
Jordan (Stormy)
Black 1998 Sentra SE w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys (NI), KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
what would I expect to run in a '93 classic high port(injectors over TB) with: Custom ram air intake, header, into straight through piping and muffler from the cat, and S4 cams. </font>

Which header? Hopefully the Hotshot or AEBS.
A '93 SE-R with I/H/E/Cams should definately be in the 14.7-15.0 range, assuming you can launch the car properly and everything else is in good shape mechanically.

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
Hey storm try and get the idle up alittle if you keep the idle to low you will get poor oil presure and that might cause cam wear, rockerarm wear ect. Please do something about it OK, or you can loose you investment in cams and your motor.

G

·
man storm, you really make me wanna buy a set of cams now! id love to hear that idle! anybody have any sound files of an idle with those cams?

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Andreas Miko:
Hey storm try and get the idle up alittle if you keep the idle to low you will get poor oil presure and that might cause cam wear, rockerarm wear ect. Please do something about it OK, or you can loose you investment in cams and your motor. </font>
You know what, I never thought about that....that's a good idea....well bad idea for my part. The idle WILL NOT respond, it goes up once you disconnect the TPS, and you can raise it with the idle screw, but as soon as I re-connect the TPS it drops down to like the 600-700rpm range. Any ideas? I just think I need the JWT S3/S4 ECU.

·
Registered
858 Posts
storm you can adjust the tps by loosening the screws and tilting it to raise it up a bit (RPM). then play with the screw(idle).

[This message has been edited by redman007 (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
94 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Andreas Miko:
Hey storm try and get the idle up alittle if you keep the idle to low you will get poor oil presure and that might cause cam wear, rockerarm wear ect. Please do something about it OK, or you can loose you investment in cams and your motor. </font>
Ah, thanks... my idle is a bit low on occasion also. (~700 RPM.) It was fine for the first ~2500 miles after I installed the cams, but then I re-gapped my plugs and changed the catalytic converter. About ~1500 miles later, the idle is occasionally low, and the car comes close to stalling out when coming to a stop. Weird...

Oh, by the way, if you think that the S4 cams have a "mean-sounding" idle, you should hear it with a Flowmaster 50-series 3 chamber...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright well maybe I already have the S4 cams? I bought the car slightly modded from a kid who bought it like that and had no clue what was going on...And my low end power is pretty bad...I am gonna do a timing check soon and then we'll see. So how will I ever know if I have cams??? I doubt I do because they probably were not out when the other person ahd the car....Hey Storm, you wanna meet up sometime and we can converse about cars and what not?

I think they are stillen headers but not sure, as they were on the car when I got it. Although there are Stillen stickers under the hood

Thanks, shea

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Hey Storm, you wanna meet up sometime and we can converse about cars and what not?
Thanks, shea
</font>

Definately dude! I live about 10-15 minutes from you. The funny thing is you live about 5 minutes from SE-R central. Ray Kawski lives in right off 80 (get off exit 52) and he has 3 SE-R's and like runs SERCA and stuff. In fact I was just there on Sunday for a little bit. Let me know whens good for you.

------------------
Jordan (Stormy)
Black 1998 Sentra SE w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys (NI), KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pit_Viper:

Oh, by the way, if you think that the S4 cams have a "mean-sounding" idle, you should hear it with a Flowmaster 50-series 3 chamber...
</font>
Hehe. Well mine is arguably *WORSE*....I have a univeral Pilot straight thru muffler. Only 14" long so it's LOUD as it is. You should hear it at idle.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
alright well maybe I already have the S4 cams? I bought the car slightly modded from a kid who bought it like that and had no clue what was going on...And my low end power is pretty bad...I am gonna do a timing check soon and then we'll see. So how will I ever know if I have cams???
Thanks, shea
</font>

Highly unlikely your car already has S4's. They haven't been available all that long, but it is possible you have S3's. See if you can get in touch with the kid and ask him if he ever swapped out the cams.

I can look in the oil cap hole and sorta tell the difference by looking at the cam if it's stock or not. Well maybe.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:

I can look in the oil cap hole and sorta tell the difference by looking at the cam if it's stock or not. Well maybe.

</font>
haha, cool. Well I am thinking more and more now that I have sopme type of aftermarket cams because of the idle-cutting out rarely when first started, weak low end power and ripping high end...Somehow I will have to find out.

Storm, maybe this weekend or somthing. I am done with school after Thursday.

·
Registered
513 Posts
You know, I've been thinking the same thing sometimes. Mark Merliss can attest to this. My car feels ok at low rpm's, but once you get to around 4500, it feels like I have cams. I know that my car was modified at one point by a previous owner. Gotta wonder if some sort of mild grind is in there....

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
You know what, I never thought about that....that's a good idea....well bad idea for my part. The idle WILL NOT respond, it goes up once you disconnect the TPS, and you can raise it with the idle screw, but as soon as I re-connect the TPS it drops down to like the 600-700rpm range. Any ideas? I just think I need the JWT S3/S4 ECU.
</font>
Are you locking in the ECU in the adjustment mod? After you disconnect the TPS yuo MUST rev the engine 3 times above 3K rpm to lock it in the adjustment mod. Then you need to adjust the Idle. My G20 had a diving Idle and I adjusted it. It was too low. I moved ti up to a 850 base idle. All is great now. The diving idle is all but non-existent.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nj1266:
Are you locking in the ECU in the adjustment mod? After you disconnect the TPS yuo MUST rev the engine 3 times above 3K rpm to lock it in the adjustment mod
</font>
Yep, revved it like 5 or 6 times just to be sure. It lets me adjust it but as soon as I plug the TPS back in it drops down to way below normal. Ever since the S4 cams got installed it's been doing this.

------------------
Jordan (Stormy)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts