SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your guys' opinion on this kit?
Is it street worthy? What I mean by street worthy is, can it be used on the black tarmack with street tires successfully?
Would I actually end up being slower due to traction problems?

------------------
Chris Alfonso
AIM: RaySERinSD
1992 Honda Civic HB DX
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R (AGX/GC combo, Hotshot CAI, New door and ignition locks(damn vandals!))

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
I'd say a 50 shot would be more streetable as you'd be able to hit the juice in 2nd, while with the 100 if you hit it in second you would just blow the tires off, not that doing that wouldn't be fun.
Traction with the 100 on street tires probably wouldn't come until mid third IMO.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
I've been in my friends car with a 100 shot and it is very prone to wheelspin. Rolling launches in 3rd were always fun though

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
I've been in my friends car with a 100 shot and it is very prone to wheelspin. Rolling launches in 3rd were always fun though

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
100 shot is fine if you can control the wheelspin and throttle. I ran a 70 on mine for about 2 weeks and 3rd gear scratches were not a problem, if you are rolling and hammer it in 2nd you should not have a big problem though.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Actualy everything I do with my car is legal....and i dont race either. But intake and brakes are far from illegal.

·
Registered
350 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brian:
100 shot is fine if you can control the wheelspin and throttle. I ran a 70 on mine for about 2 weeks and 3rd gear scratches were not a problem, if you are rolling and hammer it in 2nd you should not have a big problem though.</font>
I agree with Brian. Get to learn how your throttle response is with nitrous and it shouldn't be a problem.

Fred
99 Sentra SE
(bottle still full after 4 weeks)

·
Registered
111 Posts
This post applies to the street LEGAL aspect of NOS.

I may have found a loophole in CA law for nitrous. As far as I know, as of now, it looks like you can have a nitrous equipped car, as long as the bottle is turned off and not easily accessible while driving (i.e. in the trunk).

The guys I race with (RaVer Motorsports, of Central Cali.) have taken these measures to insure that their nitrous isn't detected by law authorities:

1. Before bolting bottle to trunk floor, slip a zippable duffle/gym bag around it. When your driving, make sure it's zipped up, as an officer (at least here in CA) needs either your permission or a warrant to search your vehicle and its contents (i.e. a duffle bag), unless he has probable cause. An exhaust/lowered car/speeding is not probable cause to suspect nitrous. Acutally, short of smelling your exhaust fumes while racing, there is no probable cause to search for squeeze. And if he's close enough to be sniffing your fumes while racing, you have bigger problems than a ticket for nitrous, my friend.

2. Put black looming on every hose and fixture that you can. Beware of temperatures, you don't want the plastic to burn. If possible, gut an emissions (charcoal?) canister and throw some solenoids in there. "Looks like emissions equipment to me, officer."

3. Have some creativity and discretion when plumbing your lines for crying out loud. I've seen guys with steel braided NOS lines laying across thier motor, next to thier accelerator cable. The price of showing off, isn't worth an impound. Try to hide those suckers as much as possible.

4. Most importantly, know your rights. If the officer doesn't have reasonable suspicion, call him on it. Politely, tell him he can search your car when his shift commander comes to the scene and shows you a warrant for whatever he wants to search for.

I don't expect to get flamed on this, as I'm researching all this stuff to help every one out. Any other people fascinated with loopholes in the law, feel free to contact me. I think a lot of our legal woes can be solved by knowing our rights in given situations. I know I've been targeted for things I didn't do just because of the car I drive. It sucks, and I don't want to give the government my money for their error in judgement anymore.

Be safe, guys,

Ryan
Newsed B13 w/ Hotshot Gen. 4, s/s, AGX/GC/Potenza RE730's going on tonight...WOO-HOOO!!!

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
On street tires, yes, the 100 shot would pose traction problems. Even at a 50-shot on drag radials @ 15psi, my '93 spins *a bit* on launch. When you hit the nitrous throttle switch is key: Too early, and tire spin. Too late, and you've got some catching up to do, and may be back down to too low an rpm for safe nitrous activation.
It's a fine line to walk. Learn it with a 50-shot, then move up from there. It's taken me over a year to get it somewhat right, on drag radials no less.

------------------
Greg P., '93 SE-R w/
148,000 miles, JWT
pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS
50--shot (direct port
installed, yet to run), Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4
mile, [email protected] 1/8
mile, 2.05 60-ft.
http://www.geocities.com/herdinsider/serpage.html

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey bro thanks for the info I'm in the process of buying a NOS kit and had ?'S on my rights as far as getting pulled over goes, as you know COPS around here a bitches when they see a lowered import.

, as an officer (at least here in CA) needs either your permission or a warrant to search your vehicle and its contents (i.e. a duffle bag), unless he has probable cause. An exhaust/lowered car/speeding is not probable cause to suspect nitrous.

------------------
92'xe/w-primera swap
Soon to be NOS fed

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
Spinning drag radials at 50shot? Dude thats gotta suck! How big of tire are you running. I was running 205/50R15 555Rs with a 75hp 4 fogger system, no spinning at all. But guess every ones different , 75 on the street was usable if you didn't hit it till about 4000-4,500rpm still spins street tires easy in 1 or 2 , I agree 100 would be useless until 3rd gear.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
I *do* spin the Nitto drag radials on a 50-shot, yes. Keep in mind that the two tracks I run at aren't the greatest (but not the worst, either). It varies from run to run.
Usually, though, the 'spinning' is very short, but enough to cost me .1 to .2 of a second.
I run the 205/55/14 drag radials. I also have a set of 205/45/15s, and the same thing happens.
It's not that bad, but could be better.

BTW...I just finished hooking up my new direct-port NOS setup, and have it set at 80hp. I'm curious as to how the drag radials will act when I hit it. Should be interesting...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts