SR20 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 nissan sentra se-r. Boosted.

I had a guy put in my tranny and he put 10w30 motor oil in it. Just over 4.5qts.

In idaho it can get around 15 degrees in the winter. Just wondering what you guys think, whether its ok to put 10w30 in or what.

I am a noob at this so I just wanna make sure that my tranny is gonna be aight. Any help would be awsome, if that **** won't work I wanna get my tranny flushed tonight.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would highly recommend Redline Shockproof trans fluid. I run it and love it. They offer it in several different weights. In my opinion, something as thin as 10W-30 is going to be very prone to sling off, and you need all the help you can get running a sr20 trans w/ boost. Here's a link that might be useful...

http://redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?subcatID=20&prodID=61

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
motor oil in your tranny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nuts

Who is the crack head that did that for you??? you should get gear oil at 80 w 90 as well as it takes 3.7liters get yourself an FSM as well

he should pay you to work on your car, or buy you a new tranny soon cause it ain't gonna last long

Also Redline MT90 go get it NOW its worth it

trini

·
Hostile Aberration
4,820 Posts
trinispeed said:
motor oil in your tranny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nuts

Who is the crack head that did that for you??? you should get gear oil at 80 w 90 as well as it takes 3.7liters get yourself an FSM as well

he should pay you to work on your car, or buy you a new tranny soon cause it ain't gonna last long

Also Redline MT90 go get it NOW its worth it

trini
Yup. WTF is the that idiot with a wrench thinking?!? NEVER take your car back to him, he is a complete moron.

Redline...

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=76903&highlight=redline+tranny

Here's how to do it:

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=131242&highlight=redline+tranny

WOW :eek2: . The award for "WuRsT meChaniK eVAr" goes to the retarded monkey working on your car.

I would flush that bitch immediately. I don't think I would drive it across the street with f-cking motor oil in my transmission. :squint:

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Breakinit said:
I have a 91 nissan sentra se-r. Boosted.

I had a guy put in my tranny and he put 10w30 motor oil in it. Just over 4.5qts.

In idaho it can get around 15 degrees in the winter. Just wondering what you guys think, whether its ok to put 10w30 in or what.

I am a noob at this so I just wanna make sure that my tranny is gonna be aight. Any help would be awsome, if that **** won't work I wanna get my tranny flushed tonight.

Technically, motor oil in the tranny is okay. Technically.

Why? "Oil", whether motor or transmission based is provided there for a couple of specific reasons:
-Lubrication. Without this, parts would not move freely. You get mass friction, heat, and wear. Nto good.
-Heat removal. Ideally, you want a liquid that holds and transfers heat away from moving parts onto the outside block/transmission case for heat transfer. Heat is bad for wear. You "could" use water for this, but then, you lose the lubrication.
-Longevity of parts. See both points above. In addition, parts also include the oil itself. Each oil is specifically formulated for certain environments (believe it or not).

Certain additives are put into motor oil that help it reseal rings and such and provide less wear on other places (remember, oil still provides a bit of friction, causing a tiny bit of wear).

Transmission oil is specifically formulated to "squish" and provide a certain amount of cushioning power during gear rotation (think about how gears mesh together, it aint pretty). Tranny oil also has certain properties that make it thicker and last longer than motor oil. Not to mention, the motor is a much more hostile environment than the tranny (in most cases), provided you're getting spark, combustion, and rotating parts in the motor.

... long story short, use transmission fluid.

... side note, I'm bored @ work.

... help.

·
Blast From The Past...
1,994 Posts
As stated already this is the wrong section to post this question but, I will answer it anyways. You should use gear oil not motor oil and I also believe I read somewhere on this forum awhile back ago that you should only use gl-4, nothing with gl-5 don't quote me though. I have been using a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of Redline MT-90 and Heavy Shockproof and I haven't had any problem's at all with my tranny. Redline make's great stuff!! This is just my .02 cents...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well the viscosities at running temps arent all that different, the viscosity is measured differently hence the large numerical difference. But as the others say, its not a wise thing to do, change asap.

Mike

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
Shawn B said:
Yup. WTF is the that idiot with a wrench thinking?!? NEVER take your car back to him, he is a complete moron.

WOW :eek2: . The award for "WuRsT meChaniK eVAr" goes to the retarded monkey working on your car.

I would flush that bitch immediately. I don't think I would drive it across the street with f-cking motor oil in my transmission. :squint:
What type of warranty does this "mechanic" have? I'd get it in writing just to be safe..... :biggthump

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts