SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I did it :) I went out and bougt the NOS kit 05122. That is the kit with the little microprosessor that connects to your tb and when you hit full throttle :))))))) I am hoping to put it in sometime this week, maybe even as soon as tommorow, so stay on the main roads b/c I am going to be doing some testing on the backroads :) I will probably start out at a 60 shot, back the timing down a bit, gap the plugs about .05 closer, that kind of thing, try to dump a few bottles of octane booster in the tank and if it does not lean out, ping or detonate, I will probably turn down the timing a little more and put in a 75 shot (if I get kind of ballsy) trust me, I will keep yall' updated :):):):)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well, me again, I got the bottle mounted, the solinoids put together, and everything after is put together, so basically all I have to do is wire it, install the regulator, run the line from the trunk and I will be up and running, cobras, tt z's, lt1 z28's ;-) anyways me and a buddy from work are going to finish it up on wed, so I WILL tell you how it runs, if I can hook up :)

·
_______
3,640 Posts
What are you using for engine managment? Do you need any or can you just run with the stock ecu?

Mike

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya, you can run it with the stock ecu, the kit I bought has a fuel pressure regulator that you hook in to your return line and bumps the pressure to 50-60 lbs when you are on it, I also bought that a/f ratio meter and put it in the a-pilar, just so I can keep an eye on what my engine is doing (leaning out, detonating, ect.) I am also going to try to invest in a shift light this week, I know they look kind of cheezy, but I am going to get it as close to the door/ a-pillar as possible, no cheeziness for me :) the only reason I am going to get this is to keep from hitting the fuel cutoff (7k) I am going to set it at 6800 to give me a 1/2 second to think about what I am doing. I am confident in what I bought not to blow my engine and if I see it starting to run bad I will immediately take it out of my car. oh, and an update : I have everthing run except for the regulator and the line from the trunk. everything else is ran and should be running by tommorrow night (if my plan goes right) and no rain

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
It's a GOOD thing you started reading the SR20DE Forum! Don't apologize! :)

And it's not Brian Buck, it's Randall I believe, right?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ran out of time tonight (look at what time I posted at) and ALL I have to do is run the line from the trunk to the front, everything else is done, I have tested the solinoids and they work. the only problem I had was putting the regulator in line of the fuel line, but after I pulled my head out and pushed the line up closer to where it needed to be and after loosing about 6 gallons (jk) after finding out I had a BIG lead, there were no problems even though I am still parinoid about the fuel line, but sure it is ok, I WILL have this thing running tomm. night if it kills me :) only have probably 30 more min. left on this hella project with quite a bit of fab work :)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DONE, it is not running right though, I am going to check out how much of the bottle I have left and also I have a leak right before the regulator. I think that if I got the leak taken care of it should run right b/c it adds pressure to the stock fpr, causing it to dump gas, and when the pressure saftey switch does not see enough flow, it does not kick on, but when it does kick in f&%k this thing is fast, me and a buddy went out to do a little testing and when it was on, it would suck you back like you would not believe for a little four :) I am going to ask a few buddies that know what they are talking about and go from there, and do a little playing around with it, even though it is like playing with fire :), but I think that when I get it to run right, it is going to be THE rice rocket in my area (i'm gonna go look for the little turbo crx rolling around :)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, played with it a little tonight and talked to some people today. I don't know? it makes me mad that I cannot get this thing running right. I am going to try to reseal everthing, make sure everthing is wired right, that kind of crap tomm. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!! (oh well, I think when it is done, I will be happy)

G

·
0 Posts
Brian, check the filter right before the solonoids. They could be clogged and you didn't notice it. It happens. My friend in his 95 Maxima runs low 13s, and plans on high 14s with 125shot of nos, and he wasn't getting near his power for a while and he finally found that it was clogged.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya, I heard that too, I was told just to knock it out though? I guess I will check it out, you never know what kind of crap you can get in there, me and a few experienced buddies played with it a little last night and it was hitting, but just not getting to the place where it needs to go.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FINALLY !!!!!!!! it was something really cheezy and almost embarassed to say it buuuuuuut the microswitch was not getting pushed down far enough so the system was not turning on, duuuuhhh. oh well, not the first time I have overlooked something so dumb, and I am 100% positive that I will do it again :) oh, and I bumped it up to a 60 shot and runs like a champ :):)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, on my way home from work tonight, I finally got to use it against someone to compare what I have. I unknowingly ran against a buick t-type (slightly modded) and it only beat me by a car, I just though it was some stupid buick with a 350 in it or something, until you know what, I hear a wastegate and a blow off valve, and I though to myself "what did I get myself into?" and when he finally turns, I get a chance to really look at it and see the hood, rims and tires, and that kind of thing, but the funny thing is that guy had taken all of the turbo badging off =total sleeper, oh well I am happy though, with what I saw tonight my car is probably running a low 14 or a really super high 13 on street tires as I put in the 60 shot Saturday. I also think that this might put me at the FASTEST 98 IN THE COUNTRY, I have no scientific proof of this, but I do not know of any other 98 w/ more than bolt ons, but I would like to be corrected if I am wrong.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, update, I just upgraded to a 70 shot tonight and, well its fast, I think I raced the notorious 100 shot maxima tonight on the way home from a movie with the g-friend, it was door to door, until booom, just kidding, almost, I hit the speed limiter and the engine shut off and I slammed on my brakes and it was shaking a little bit, I seriously thought that I was dragging some rods, pulled over and looked and waited for some overheating, but nothing, BIG scare, first thing I did was close the bottle so I could not get myself into any more trouble tonight, has anybody else experienced this? (engine shutoff) or know someone who has? I am just curious, it did not seem to hurt anything (visually) no oil leaks, no gas leaks, nothing like that, it still runs good off the bottle (like it did before, but a little more putty b/c the timing) it kind of shook me up, but now that I know everthing will be ok, I am not really worried about it, I will just keep my racing on the track (most)from now on, so I will not have to worry about the speed limiter (or just get the jwt compter when it comes out, if ever)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
took it out today and is running GOOD, it is about 85 degrees outside and the bottle was hot, so I was going to go do some testing (unfortunately all I could find is an integra, yawn) I seriously need to get a warmer for it. I drove it around for about an hour before I squeezed, so there is nothing wrong with the car. I went up to work today and asked a few other bottle users if this had ever happend, and first they said "70 shot, wholly crap" and then Mitch told me that there could have just been an air pocket or something that killed the car, he said it just acted like it ran out of gas or something, and I asked about the maxima and they said that there is one running around with the stillen blower on it and puts about 300 at the wheels, but I don't know, the guy comes up there all the time anyways, so I will just ask him about it, but I think he has diffrent exhaust than what I saw (I saw greddy, my buddy in the car behind me saw a stockish looking tip) the car with the blower is the same color I raced, and has a stockish looking tip, I don't know, I guess I will find out later, as always I will keep you posted :)

G

·
0 Posts
Are you using stock injectors, because I think you'll find them maxing out pretty soon if you plan on running more than 70+ boost.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
soon to max out, or maxed out right now :) 70 is the most I am going to go without the computer upgrade. since jwt does not have the computer for the 98+ yet, I can't do an injector upgrade, but as soon as they do, I promise I will get one (and I promse to put more juice on it too)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, I had to jet it down to a 60 shot :-( still fast, but I was showing one of my honda friends (never even ridden in my car until last night, he was always running his mouth, until.....)and it was kind of popping and surging around and did not like what I was feeling, pulled the plugs this morning and they were chalky and looked like charcoal was dumped all over them, so I decided to tone it down just a little :-( I wanna get a msd ignition, but would have no clue on how to install one, anybody ever done one?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts