SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, gang--

For my assault this spring on the youth of America at the dragstrip, I've purchased a set of Lenso VPD wheels in 13x7.5 size, with 13x8x22 M&H slicks. Only Louis Anaya could verify that these wheels would fit over the NX2000 brakes, and quite a few people want to SEE the fitment.

Well, here you go:

That pic is the wheel mounted straight up on my SE-R over the NX brakes. There is maybe 1/16" clearance between the wheel lip and the base of my Koni strut at the bottom. The calipers clear just fine, and there is 1/8" or so between the bleeder valve and the inside of the rim.

So, they DO fit. It's tight, but they do fit indeed.

A little bit closer shot of the caliper and wheel. Tight.

I am going to run my set of 1/2" wheel spacers with these wheels, just to give me some breathing room between the strut/hub and the inside edge of the VPD wheel. I test-fitted with the spacer on there, and it erases any and all doubts about something rubbing on the wheel. 1/2" spacer is PERFECT for this setup.

Important note: If you buy a set of 13" VPDs, you will need a machine shop to bore the center hubs to 59.1mm. I had these bored to 60mm, and they fit like a glove.

Another cool detail with these wheels is the fact you can use regular 19mm open-ended lug nuts readily available at AutoZone for $0.99 each. The wheels require a lug nut with a conical base, just like the stockers. No washers needed, either.

The slicks will be mounted in the morning, and my assault on the 12.66 ET record for a SR-powered car with 370cc injectors will begin on Saturday afternoon. I will be running the car at the NICO national convention/meet at Mt. Park Dragway in Kentucky.

Hint: The car now has S3 cams. :)

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
www.mandhtires.com

You'll land on MAP Auto Parts' site, which is really MandH tires. Odd, but true. They have the 13x8x22s for $111 each right now. Good price.

Tell John at M&H I sent you. Way cool guy. He even writes way cool messages on your slicks:

-GP-

·
Registered
317 Posts
i have the same wheel and tire set up except i have 9" slicks. that was all they had at the time and i didn't want to wait. now i wish i had. the left slick will rub the strut sometimes(slightly more neg. camber) anyway the wheel & tire set is really light and slicks are awesome to launch on... a little scary at first when trapping @ 106mph on a rough track.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which is why I'm using the 1/2" spacers, so that there is no chance of contact between the strut bottom and the sidewall of the slicks.

I had to use the spacers with my previous setup, which was Bogart wheels and 15x8x22 MT slicks. I went 13" to get more sidewall.

-GP-

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
I expect to hear the FULL details of a 12.55 run on Saturday. I think that it is possible personally.

·
Registered
317 Posts
the spacers would be great but i don't have the longer wheel studs yet. GP where did you get your studs and spacers, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
It really looks good Greg. Oh man I cant wait. I'll be making my assault on a NA 13.9 this saturday too with Greg at Nico. I cant wait to see your car Greg. I know we'll have a good time.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Excellent news Greg. I hope you can get some in the car movies of your runs. Good luck.....

·
No soup for you
2,266 Posts
Thanks Greg for taking the plunge. Now I have another thing to add back to my list.

John

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mser-2 said:
GP where did you get your studs and spacers, if you don't mind me asking?
I bought the Nismo 60mm studs from Courtesy in Dallas, via Brian here on the forum. Mossy, Quality, and other large-ish dealerships should have them, as well. They're pricey at $60 for 8 of them, but worth it.

The spacers came with my previous set of Bogarts, so I kept them. :)

Chris--
In-car video will be there, possibly out-of-car, too. In case I break something, it'll look SPECTACULAR. ;)

-GP-

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
H&R also makes very high quality hubcentric spacer kits for out cars that inlcudes longer studs. They are available in several sizes.

Greg, what to you think about using a full set of 13's with some super sticky Hoosiers for the autox freaks? I bet that would be a sweet setup.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
paNX2K&SE-R said:
H&R also makes very high quality hubcentric spacer kits for out cars that inlcudes longer studs. They are available in several sizes.

Greg, what to you think about using a full set of 13's with some super sticky Hoosiers for the autox freaks? I bet that would be a sweet setup.
Good points, Matt. I really like the idea of a set of these VPDs (they are a +25mm offset) with some 13" Hoosier A3SO3s on them, for autocross duties. They would stick out of the fenderwells a little (about 1-2"), so some classes might not allow that in SCCA.

An even better setup, I think, would be some of the Compomotive copies of the Panasport wheels, in 13" and slightly less offset. The wheels are pricey, but should be worth it.

Also...I just discovered that Volk makes the TE-37s in 13" diameters. Ooooh.

-GP-

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
But will those clear the brakes like the Lenzo's? I noticed that the Lenzo wheel was relatively thin all around which gave lots of clearance to begin with. Thanks so much for updating us on this Greg!!!!!

Brent

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd sure as hell like to find out if the TE-37s clear NX brakes, Brent. :) Maybe one day. They do come in a variety of offsets, so I imagine it's possible.

I ran into a problem with this slick/wheel setup. I took the car out for a short spin, to scrub the tires before going to the track tomorrow. About 2 blocks away, I hear a rubbing sound.

The lower spring perch is rubbing the inside wall of the driver-side slick, just *barely*. I removed the wheel/slick and adjusted the strut for more + camber and got about 1/8" clearance.

I believe this situation is unique to my setup. I have a set of Steve Foltz-designed shortened Konis up front. Unlike most GC setups, we used 10" long Hyperco springs (3" longer than the 7" springs in most coilover setups). These longer springs in turn moved the perches lower on the strut body, right to where the sidewall is at its fattest.

On a conventional AGX/Hyperco equipped car, this wouldn't be a problem at all, as the perch is WAAAAY up there, compared to my setup.

So, now it all clears and no rubbing. If the weather doesn't screw us, we'll run this setup on Saturday. Not looking good as of now, but it might change.

-GP-

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE: I only got one run in on Saturday, before the rains came and ended the day. And, that one run was crap. A Neon had fragged a tranny in the same lane I was in, about half an hour before I ran.

Naturally, they didn't get all of the tranny fluid up. So, I launch and head right for the wall. I got completely off the throttle, corrected the car's attitude, then got back into it.

Still ran a 14.03 @ 103mph on only 8psi of boost. The run was a total write-off, in my book.

I *did* use 100% of the 370 injectors on that run, according to the peak recall on my CMX-100. I'll have to look into that...

-GP-

1 - 20 of 34 Posts