SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I like food
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to research but couldn't really find any.
For auto x, what size rims would be more preferable? I wanted 14" but other(a friend) thinks 15" would be better suited. Can't decide. Can anyone give me a hand in choosing size? I'd appreciate it if someone with actual auto x experience give their opinions. Thanks in advance.

·
SR20VE or a T28? I dunno!
1,664 Posts
15x7

http://www.sentra.net/tech/garage/suspension.php

Don’t over tire or wheel your car. Our cars will go the fastest and handle best with the widest, lightest 15 inch wheel that will fit. 16, 17 and 18 inch wheels which look radical, really slow the car down because they are heavy and the bigger diameter screws up the gear ratio (yes, I know that I run 17 inch wheels on my car but I love the look and don’t mind being a rice boy sometimes). There are no R type tires out yet in these big plus sizes to my knowledge yet either. The widest tire that you should run unless you have a turbo or some other ungodly power is a 205. Wider tires will result in more drag that our relatively low power engines can accelerate. A 205/50-15 works well in most cases and a wide variety of R compound tires are available in this size. The maximum rim width that the B14/B15 can run is 7.5 inches with a 35-40 mm offset. A Classic B13 can run a 7-inch rim with a 30-35 mm offset as there is less wheel clearance in the rear of a B13. Since this always comes up, the bolt circle measurement on our wheels is 4x100 mm. The competition wheel that impresses me the most is the Volk TE37. This wheel is forged so it can be much thinner than a cast type wheel. It weighs a feathery 9 lbs which is twice as light as a regular wheel. The other good light wheel is the Enkei RPO-1 it weighs about 13 lbs which is still very light. Remember that 1 lb on the wheel is worth about 10 on the car due to the wheels rotational Inertia. We took 0.4 seconds off of Mike Saiki’s ¼ mile time just by going from 16 inch Axis wheels to 15 inch TE37’s. The difference is all in the wheel weight and tire diameter.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
14" tire sizes for our cars have taller sidewalls and less section width. 15" tires fix both of these, the 205/50/15 size Azenis have very stiff sidewalls and are pretty wide.

The wheel weight is not much of an issue between 14 and 15" wheels with how much more tire you get from the 15s.

·
I like food
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmn.. i could have swore, falkens made 205/55/14s. I guess only benefit to having 14" are cost of the tires. Thanks. I think I will get some 15" slipstreams.

·
VE powered
556 Posts
Pro 14": Better gearing for coming out of tight corners, lower cg, don't have to roll the rear fenders.

Con 14": Less wheel choice (Panasport is the defacto 14x7" wheel), less tire choice (no Kumho V710), Azenis sized in 195/60/14.

Pro 15": Better wheel choices (15x7 Kosei K1's are $129 each, 15x7 Enkei RP-F1's weigh 10 lbs and are $176, all kinds of 15x6.5 Rotas for $450-500 set), better tire choices (Kumho V710 available), Azenis sized in 205/50/15.

Con 15": Worse gearing, higher cg, must roll the rear fenders.

For me it ultimately came down to tire choice. The Kumho V710 is much, much faster than the V700 so I was forced to go with a 15" wheel. The better bite and grip make up for the worse gearing coming out of a corner. If and when they come out with a 14" version of the V710 then I'll probably bring the Panasports back out.

Steve

edited to acknowledge Hoosier S04's available in 14".

·
NX2000 Racer
1,300 Posts
...less tire choice (no Kumho V710 or Hoosier S04)...
I agree with everything written above except for the quote; that's a mistake. I can't speak to Kumhos, but I run 225/50-14 Hoosier R3S04 on 14x7 wheels. It's also available in 205/55-14 and both sizes are in the "A" compound.

Greg Amy
http://www.kakashiracing.com

·
VE powered
556 Posts
Grega said:
I agree with everything written above except for the quote; that's a mistake. I can't speak to Kumhos, but I run 225/50-14 Hoosier R3S04 on 14x7 wheels. It's also available in 205/55-14 and both sizes are in the "A" compound.
Yup, you're right. It's only the Kumho V710 that isn't available in the 14". Incidently, I was told by a very reliable source (and not Hoosier or Kumho affiliated) that the V710 is every bit as good as the R3S04 until after a few heat cycles where the Hoosiers decline gradually but the V710 falls off dramatically.

Steve

·
I like food
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked out your link, and wow. That's really coo. Are you Mark? if so where are in wallingford are you? Most of my family live in wallingford, right next to durham line. I think it's exit 15 off 91. yeah, haven't been there in while. I don't usually look for the exit, it's kind of auto pilot thing. I just go, and not think about it.
As for the rims... stilll sooo tormented. 15" sounds good, but 14" is cheaper/lighter. I'm going to have to research little more on cost/benefit factor.

·
NX2000 Racer
1,300 Posts
Our shop is on Industrial Park Drive in Wallingford, off I-91 exit 15. Instead of going left to Durham we're right, all the way down 68 almost to Yalesville.

Please note that while I agree with the performance advantage of 14" wheels versus 15", we're running 14" primarily because the rules require it. As such we have very few wheel choice options. <- THAT is the primary - if not exclusive - disadvantage of 14" wheels.

When/if SCCA approves 15" wheels for us, and we either wear out or break our current wheel inventory, we will probably go to a very lightweight 15x7 wheel and 225/50-15 tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts