SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys--I am well on my way in getting ready for the boston meet. I installed my new 15 inch rims and tires today, my new suspension,zex no2, aem-cai, header, catback, and cat are all in the mail!! I should have everything installed by the meet. I am a little worried about one thing though. I installed the rims/tires today and I noticed only < 1/2" between the back of the rear tire and the strut body. Can someone please verify if this is normal? Will my new suspension--(lowered 1.5") make this worse--and actually rub?

as always---thanks in advance your advice and tips

mark

------------------
93 se-r
so stock--it is scary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are your other 1900 posts as helpful as this one storm?

------------------
93 se-r
so stock--it is scary

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Doesn't sound like your car is scary stock anymore
My car had similar issues.. try taking it in for an aligment. I had weird issues like that with a set of wheels on my car. But when I put them on my brothers classic they wouldnt even rub. What size tire and brand are you using? That'll be a good start. Half an inch sounds like enough space to me, the wheel shouldnt come any closer than that when in motion.. unless you plow into something sideways

Luis
93 Classic 235k+ Sorta happy

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Half an inch? That's huge. Boston Marathon huge.

Really, <1/2" is around 5mm, which is on the edge, but sounds safe to me. The B13 has rear clearance issues to begin with, so I would give your rims a shot before looking at spacers.

I've run 205/55 Kumho R-compound tires on stock Classic rims, and they still fit (with enough room to slide a few sheets of paper between the tire and rear strut). The only time I've had them rub is at a track lapping day, and not badly.

·
Ironman
1,820 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JimR:
Half an inch? That's huge. Boston Marathon huge.
</font>
I concur. I was going to say something similar. The rear of my Classic has about 5-7mm space. The rear of my G20 has about 3mm!

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Listen to the guys:

You've got TONS of room, compared to some of us. My Classic has, oh, about 3mm or so clearance between the inside edge of the rim and the strut body.

You can *barely* get the tip of a finger in the gap between the two.

205/50/15 is about as wide as you want to go on a Classic.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Sounds pretty good to me Matt. I just got my header in the mail, but I'm sending it back because the holes don't seem to line up correctly. I'll let you guys know when the new one comes in. I will get this thing on and pass inspection yet!

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts