SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
grease monkey
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i use a 205 tire,what offset is needed for good fitment,any pros and cons for that size wheel?thanks,and yes i searched but couldn't find specifics.
Denske.

·
egg-less
348 Posts
zexynx said:
if i use a 205 tire,what offset is needed for good fitment,any pros and cons for that size wheel?thanks,and yes i searched but couldn't find specifics.
Denske.
I used to have 205/40-17 on 17X7 rims 35 mm offset. No rubbing on the struts in back, but the gap couldn't have been but 2 mm. 35 offset is the largest I'd use.

I don't know if you'd wanna use a 205/40 on Philly streets, though. Damn short sidewall, and the potholes gotta be worse than the ones in Tallahassee, FL. YMMV....

·
I got turbo envy
253 Posts
damn.....i just got some 17x7's with a 40mm offset. sounds like ima need some spacers. don't wanna steal the thread and this is probably gonna sound dumb....but what range of tired width can you do on 7 inchers? ie 195-215? or what?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have 205 on my 17 inch rims and I have a 42mm offset. no spacers, no nothing. and my car is dropped a few inches. the ride is bumpy for sure with the lowpro tires. check out my site for how the rims fit. there is a picture on there of the rims on before doing the suspension.

·
egg-less
348 Posts
cruceno21 said:
I have 205 on my 17 inch rims and I have a 42mm offset. no spacers, no nothing. and my car is dropped a few inches. the ride is bumpy for sure with the lowpro tires. check out my site for how the rims fit. there is a picture on there of the rims on before doing the suspension.
Weird...I tried 17x7 with 40 offset and they rubbed on the rear strut (I also have the AGX's). Hmmmmmmmmm....

·
Registered
493 Posts
I might be wrong. But I swear they are a 42mm offset.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
not sure on the offset, I have 17 x 7 konigs, using 215-40-17 and a 1/4" spacer in the rear. Very little strut clearance in the rear (tokico blues). Some inner wall rubbing all around during hard corning but overall, no complaints.

·
allmotorKA24DE
607 Posts
and the potholes gotta be worse than the ones in Tallahassee, FL. YMMV....
damn....our potholes are famous now!!! they are pretty damn bad here...

·
Registered
493 Posts
I don't know... the potholes in Chicago I think take the cake.

·
BOOST OR GO HOME!!!!!
1,883 Posts
nyc potholes are king . i was looking to get 17 but 16's may be my number. if you guys are looking into puttting tires on your car look into putting in a coilover suspension. because with the rear your tire will rub the strut.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
LONEWOLF said:
nyc potholes are king . i was looking to get 17 but 16's may be my number. if you guys are looking into puttting tires on your car look into putting in a coilover suspension. because with the rear your tire will rub the strut.
Fortunately, it seems like Galveston hit the lottery and started fixing streets like crazy.

If you use a 1/4" spacer in the rears you will have absolutely no problems going with a 215-40-17, no strut rub at all here. I only rub during hard cornering on the apex side of the car.

·
getting close
2,002 Posts
I have 16x7in te-37's with +42 offset. I am using 215/45/16 falken azeins and the back needed almost a 1/2 in spacer and longer wheel studs. The tire in the front rubs a little on the inside of the wheel well when cornering hard at full tilt, but nothing major.

Later,Jon

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
aknapp said:
Your inside rear stays on the ground during hard cornering??? :tongue:
I just ordered D2's and we will see what happens with clearance and rub in 4-6 weeks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts