SR20 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I'd find puddles under my car, I thought it was power steering fluid...which it was, but now, there are oil puddles too.

I tracked down the problem, the stock det oil feed line has a crack right by the banjo fitting coming off the block, and it was pissing oil like crazy today.

Right now I put some jb weld on the crack, and I'll leave it for a while...will that hold, or do i need to get the crack soldered...or a new line?

·
WWJD
2,092 Posts
Serb, I would see how the jb weld holds up for a while then if it doesn't get it soldered!!!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Yeah, that's a temporary solution, but maybe will hold for a long time...keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I put some jb weld on the line, and got it all back together, I will wait until tomorrow before I turn it on, I want to make sure the jb weld cures. In the morning, I will crank the car on, and see how it is. I figure if its going to leak, it will do it on a cold start, since thats when you have the highest oil psi. If it holds, I'll drive to the store, and get a steel braided line. I basically have a ticking time bomb.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
if the nipple is cracked then just get it tig welded, the same thing happened to me when the fitting was put in too tight. easy fix, but yeah i would definately do a steel braded line also

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it was an expensive fix, but its done.

I got 2 HKS banjo bolts, and 3' of steel braided line (dont ask why i got one so long) and I took the stock det oil feed line out.

Here's a question though. I know most people run a restrictor...is the hole in it REALLY small? Because the banjo bolts that came with these fittings have a VERY TINY hole in it for the oil to go through. I just hope its not too small.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
a restrictor is usually 0.040" so yeah, it should be small.

dont Solder anything other than wires on a car. you weld ****, not solder.

also, running with a leaky oil line is DANGEROUS, especially with it RIGHT next to the red hot exh manifold. you can very easily start a nice car-b-que this way. fix it, or dont drive it.

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, here is one of the banjo bolts that I have left over..you can barely see the pinsized hole. I hope its not too small, but then I figure, HKS made this for a Garrett turbo, they wont make a product to harm your turbo....will they?

·
Registered
157 Posts
That inline restricter could be for a ball bearing turbo, which IIRC uses less oil pressure than a standard turbo bearing. Someone on here should know for sure, so consider this a bump :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts