SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I decided to drive around and get a few esitimates how much it would cost to get 3" piping to a muffler that I would provide the shop. This is the conversation I had with a muffer shop guy.

Me: I would liek to get a 3" mandrel bent preferably but crush is ok, into a muffler I will bring you guys

Ignorant mechanic: 3" is over doing it

Me: its a turbocharged car

Ignorant mechanic:even so it being turbocharged, 2" is over doing it and there is no difference between crush and mandral

me: sir, its been dyno proven and you certainly dont know what your talkin about.

Ignorant mechanic: This isnt a muslce car, there isnt space to run 3" piping over the axle

me: www.vrsexhaust.com sells piping kits and catbacks specifially for this car.

me: you obviously dont know what your talkin about thank you for your time. (turn my back on him and walk out)

·
_______
2,170 Posts
You should have asked him to price you out some 1" diameter piping. Then you could have asked if he could recommend some nice 12" steel wheels and some all-season tires.

And you could have kept going until he got it (which might have been a very long time).

James

·
Registered
765 Posts
What do you guys expect?! Most of those dudes at muffler shops dont know jack about turbo import cars. The fact is, a lot of those dudes are from the muscle car era and you cant just walk in and expect them to know absolutely anything about your car, much less your car turbocharged. I wouldnt have even bothered to explain myself about the dyno proven, blah blah blah. Look at who you are about to talk to and ask yourself, 'does this 40 year old ******* with Harley Davidson tattoos look like he know anything about or even gives a **** about my turbo SE-R?'. The answer would most likely be a firm 'no' across the board.

·
Yes Dear.
2,503 Posts
ha, if i were the mech id be like sure buddy whatever you need.. $$$$ dollars please..
lol

·
Now accepting donations!!
3,394 Posts
I just would've told him that I didn't come here for opinions, I came here for an estimate.

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
Reminds me when I took my NX to get the 3" exhaust put on with the Apexi dunk muffler. One guy told me it was "impossible" to put 3" on there. I told him its VERY possible, he said if i can find a place that can do it, bring the car back so he can see it. Sure enough the next day I went back and made him put the car up on the lift just so he can see the exhaust. Freakin ignorant mechanics, gotta love em.

·
Nissan Mut Car...
1,125 Posts
Serban said:
Reminds me when I took my NX to get the 3" exhaust put on with the Apexi dunk muffler. One guy told me it was "impossible" to put 3" on there. I told him its VERY possible, he said if i can find a place that can do it, bring the car back so he can see it. Sure enough the next day I went back and made him put the car up on the lift just so he can see the exhaust. Freakin ignorant mechanics, gotta love em.
Thats bad ass. I cant belive you went back up there just to show him... priceless.

The muffler guy around here is pretty cool. never gave me any trouble!

·
Registered
85 Posts
im in NY and we have the junkyards behind shea stadium which is the home to over a dozen of tire and muffler shops. muffler shops customizes your exhuast any where from 1 to 3 inches in 1/2 intervals and are mandrel bent also. were'r lucky i guess?.... and even luckier if you can hustle a hustler.

·
Turbo-VVL finally
780 Posts
I just got my 3" mandrel bent done, the shop out here put up a short fight with how long it was going to take, how many welds he was going to make because of the pre-fabbed bend, and how my car didn't need it...... Then I pulled out a pocket full of cash and that was the end of the conversation.

3" is really large for a 4cyl. compared to what most people run..... You can't blame the guys for trying to steer you in a different direction.

·
Hostile Aberration
4,820 Posts
El Gabito said:
I just would've told him that I didn't come here for opinions, I came here for an estimate.
My response exactly. :biggthump

1 - 20 of 23 Posts