SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want 100hp per liter. I was sitting around in class figuring out what mods I could use to achieve this... Let me know if I forgot anything or what else I can do:

Here is the list:

What I have:

Stillen exhaust: + 2hp
Place Racing CAI: +5hp
JWT Clutch: ----------

What I want:

Hotshot header: +10hp
JWT C2 cams: +22hp
UD Pulleys: + 2hp
JWT ECU: +10hp
JWT Motor Mounts: -----

I know thats not exacly 200hp thats why im asking what else I can do... Let me know! Thanks guys.

------------------
Greg Taylor
96 SE-R w/ stuff
My Page

·
Registered
194 Posts
Probably some head work and 11:1 CR. IIRC Mike Kojima was shooting for 200hp and came pretty close w/ all the bolt ons available plus higher CR and headwork I think. It was in SCC some time ago. Can't remember when though. Hope that helps.

Mel

·
Registered
466 Posts
Keep in mind that just because a header gives you 10hp and cams give you 22hp, doesn't mean you will have 32hp from both of those. This is a very popular misconception. One may give you big numbers by itself, but teamed together with another mod, it won't show the same gain. Mike has a lot of money, research, and time in his car, and he still hasn't seen 200hp. With a '91 intake cam, HS header, PR CAI, Courtesy b-pipe, JWT ECU, Stillen rust muffler and advanced timing, I'm sitting at 170 flywheel hp. By I also have a slow ass '96.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Here's an idea that has yet to be tested to my knowledge. Know how the 2000+ SR20DE's have roller rockers? That should give less drivetrain loss. If you can find a 2000+ SR20DE head and put in on your motor, that may yield several more horsepower.

Or, maybe it is possible to just swap the 2000+ cams, roller rockers, and shims, keeping the same valves and head? Maybe need to swap valve springs and/or valves themselves???

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Eric is that WHP or at the flywheel? I was talking flywheel HP. I basically want to be able to run high to mid 14s and I will be content. Im only 17 so im not looking to drop a 5k turbo kit in just yet.

·
Registered
466 Posts
That was flywheel HP. My car makes 144whp, so after a 15% driveline loss, it comes out to right around 170 flywheel HP.

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Mid to high 14's? That's pretty easy to achieve. All you have to do is put the car on a diet and practice, practice. I'm shooting for 13's this year with my mods.

------------------
96 se-r with a few goodies

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'd give anything to be at 200HP N/A.

------------------
Peter
..on AIM = NyceP26
97 200SX SE-R
PR CAI,JWT ECU (with correct timing now @ 15TDC),91 INTAKE CAM,
KYB AGX,EIBACH SPORTLINE,
FSTB, F/R X-DRILLED ROTORS,

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Who wouldn't. They again a 50 shot and you're probably close.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ben98SentraSE:
Here's an idea that has yet to be tested to my knowledge. Know how the 2000+ SR20DE's have roller rockers? That should give less drivetrain loss. If you can find a 2000+ SR20DE head and put in on your motor, that may yield several more horsepower.

Or, maybe it is possible to just swap the 2000+ cams, roller rockers, and shims, keeping the same valves and head? Maybe need to swap valve springs and/or valves themselves???

</font>
Ben you cant just swap the heads from a b15 to a b14. 2 things i think....Rob can verify. i *think* there was changes made to the intake manifold, and then there is always the emmissions stuff too
As for the roller rockers.....JWT is in the making of a conversion kit to make our engines accept roller rockers. i think it was Rob who stated this in a recent email to the list about the C cams finally being made available.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
440 Posts
RPWSER, you are right, the intake manifold is different. I remember reading about the new SR20 and they(SCC I think) said the intake manifold was longer or lengthened or something like that.later

------------------
2000 Sentra SE w/PP, JWT POP, timing @ 17 deg.,205/50ZR16 Bridgestone Potenza RE730s

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NoVTECSER:
That was flywheel HP. My car makes 144whp, so after a 15% driveline loss, it comes out to right around 170 flywheel HP.</font>
That is not the proper way to deduce flywheel hp from WHP. Rob did it once but I do not remember how. too mathematical and too complicated for my social science mind
But I do know that 15% out of 144 does not add to 170 hp. It adds to 165 flywheel hp. At least I think it does.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got that it should be between 169 and 170 FHP.

G

·
Naji is right, its your whp times 1.15.

Btw i dont think it will be for long till a lot a se-r's are getting over 200hp to the flywheel. I think as soon as someone designs an short runner intake manifold that se-r's will be reaching that mark. Mind you with all the bolt-ons.

Louis

·
Registered
466 Posts
Geez I'm so glad we have a bunch of mathematicians on this board. I was stating my flywheel HP off the top of my head. If you read my post, I said AROUND 170hp.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
mine put out close to 200 whp at one time, and was fast, all motor I would put a tacky ass body kit with clear tail lights for a fair trade

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brian:
mine put out close to 200 whp at one time, and was fast, all motor I would put a tacky ass body kit with clear tail lights for a fair trade
</font>
LOL.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
94 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Louis200:
Naji is right, its your whp times 1.15.
</font>
Actually, I think NoVTECSER is right. Assuming 15% drivetrain loss, I think it's wHP x 1.18.

Algebra:

WHP = CrankHP x (1 - LossPercentage/100)

...Therefore

CrankHP = WHP / (1 - LossPercentage/100)

So assuming 15% drivetrain loss, WHP/(1-0.15) = WHP/0.85 = WHP x 1.18. You can't just add 15% to 100% and multiply, otherwise it will come out wrong. Remember, you're "back-calculating," based on a loss of the original number.

By the way borguesian, another point about HP gains per modification is that you have to remember that some of the power gain figures are listed as peak gain, not gain at the HP peak. For example, the peak power gain with S4 cams on a 1994+ SR20DE is ~30 HP according to SCC. This doesn't mean you can throw a set of S4s in the engine, and go from 140 HP to 170 HP - that HP figure is actually at 7300 RPM. Your gain at the peak would be more like 10 HP or so.

Sorry for babbling, heh.

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How much are the S4s and how much are the C2s? Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by borguesian:
How much are the S4s and how much are the C2s? Thanks!</font>
I think the regular price on the S4s is ~$550, and the C2s will be ~$1400 (I'm not entirely sure about this - $550 [cams] + ~$800 [ required valve springs and titanium retainers].)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts