SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe you guys know about this already, but Nissan, here in Japan, in addition to the 250hp R Spec Silvia with the SR20DET, is now selling a normally aspirated Silvia with 200hp (at the crank, so I assume it's comparable to what you guys are getting on the dyno in your super tuned SE-Rs and so on...)
Anyway, the car magazine I was reading said that it feels like a real tuner-car... the idle is kinda rough (the cams, no doubt) but it's got the R Spec's 6 speed manual transmission, and it's only about 2,100,000 yen, which is about $20K USD... not bad for a pre-tuned car! That's about $4000 USD cheaper than the turbo R Spec car, and about $1000 more than the plain vanilla SR20DE entry level Silvia. I'll see if I can get a brochure and scan it for you guys...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and I forgot to mention, it has a pretty metallic red valve cover... :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Your pretty red valve cover is making me green with envy......so you live in the land of great cars? Congratulations on your wonderful selection of fun machinery.

Please do scan a brochure if you can find it - I would venture that this 200hp NA SR20 is the VE variant. The more cars they offer it in, the more available/less costly it should be. Hmmmm....I like this pattern.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, it's a normal SR20DE with all the Nismo parts you can throw at it bolted on... the VE is only available in cars with the CVT, and the Autech Silvia, as I said, has the 6 speed manual...

The VE is only 190hp, and that's at 7000 rpm, so like Honda's VTECs, it probably redlines near 8000... I'll try to get some brochures when I have free time, and pass on the info to this forum...

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
I was always under the impression the sr20de in japan had the varible valve's on most of their engines. cause the sr20ve is totaly different setup than the sr20de. cause the japan speck sr20det has the variable valves but no v in the name. there is somewhat of a disscussion at freshalloy.com about this. kinda like the q45 has the variable valves and the 300zx but no v in the engine nomnclature.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the Japanese engines are rated at 10 more crank horsepower than the American ones (150 vs. 140) but I always thought this was due to looser emissions regulations here in Japan... the exhaust on the Primera and the G20 are apparently totally different, for example...

Remember, Honda's VTEC is a two-part technology... variable timing AND lift... I wouldn't doubt that newer SR20DE engines could have variable timing, as a lot of Japanese (and lately, American and German) engines apparently do... but the total VTEC style engines have only recently begun to show up, I think. Probably something to do with Honda's patent... Mitsubishi and Toyota are both using similar technology (Mitsu calls it MIVEC, and use it on the FTO... I forget what Toyota's name was, but I'm sure the new Celica is using it).

Here are some comparitive hp and torque specs... you'll have to convert the torque to lbs. ft yourself... they are all for 2000 models:

Basic SR20DE (Primera, Pulsar):
[email protected], 19.1kg/m [email protected]

"Twin-Cam SR20DE" (since they are all DOHC engines, I assume it's just a marketing thing to add "twin cam" to the name) in the base Silvia:
[email protected], 19.6 kg/m [email protected]

SR20DE tuned for the Silvia Autech Version:
[email protected], 21.8kg/m [email protected]

SR20VE mainly used in mid-size wagons, and the Primera Te-V sedan (the current top-line Primera sedan):
[email protected], 20.0kg/m [email protected]

You'll notice that the SR20VE alone has to rev higher to develop it's full torque, which is also pretty much how the VTEC Hondas perform... the Autech Silvia does not look to me like it has VTEC (Neo-VVL? in Nissan speak) because of the lower rpm torque peak, and it's engine is listed as a "DE", not "VE", on the web site. Be interesting to see how they tuned it 50hp over stock, and 35hp over the base Silvia. Might be some hints under the hood for aftermarket tuners to pick up on, as well... the cam is definately different, but I would love to have a look under the hood. I'll see if I can get to a dealer on the weekend and take a peak... Just a chance to see the red factory valvecover would make my day...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to ask again... any mechanics/engineers out there to offer any speculation why the VE engine is only being offered with a CVT and not a manual or automatic transmission? Something to do with the torque curve, by any chance?

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yea I heard they patented it or something. ANd it ran out just recently. But theres a difference in varible vlaves and the VVL engines or even an engine coded with a V.

To early or I might go into details. Cause the 300zx here has always had it, or something like that. Oh well its way too early on the small side of noon.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honduhhs VTEC patent ran out over a year ago, Nissan uses VTC- variable intake cam timing on their VH45DE- older Qs, GA16DEs 91-99, 90-96 300ZX TT and NA, and on 92-94 VE30DE Maximas and on the new VQ35DE on the 01 Pathfinder and QX4. Nissan does sell the VE engines with 5spds, and CVTs ans HCVT. If U ever heard of Pulsar Serie VZ-R N1 Spec Version II that engine has 200ps from 1.6L SR16VE and has a 5spd. Sunny VZ-R with the SR16VE and 175ps has a 5spd too. U can get the VEs with Hyper Continiously Variable tranny and 5spds. No S15 has NEO VVL technolgy avalible. U can adapt the VE head onto the DE block but U have to run a external oil line for the VVL switchover. One thing I like about VE is that JWT could make a cam that is mild on the low end and then WILD on top end and make killer HP, get a short intake runner and engine will really wake up at high RPMs. Also the new stroker kit would do it wonders. 2.4L and over 100HP per liter would be about 260-280HP from our beloved SRs.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm.. Mike, have you heard if there are any SR20VE cars available with a manual in Japan? I've scoured the Japanese homepage, and I can't find anything...

Everything I've heard about the CVT cars indicates they are not suitable for sports driving... downshifting is nearly impossible (too much lag) and the response is fairly sluggish; as much as I like the idea of a shiftable auto style car for everyday driving (traffic here is awful), I need something with at least as much kick as a good electronic auto; the CVT sounds like it's not my thing at all... haven't driven one yet, though, so I'll see...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts