SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all think about the new Sentra SE??? Hot? Cold? Shitty? Cool? It's gotta be ok if it has the sr20 in it. Has anyone driven one?

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
yeah, rev limiters suck, that's why we have JWT!! woo hoo!!

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I LOVE all the new Sentras. Sat in a GXE a week ago and it was sweet. Interior is TOP notch. Auto shifter is really cool. Nissan did a GREAT job.

G

·
0 Posts
i think that it is the best four door sentra yet. maxima styling, great engine, and a price a real person can afford. i drove one from the nisssan dealership my dad runs and it was great. reminded me of my g20 with a different body.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
I have yet to drive or even see a performance package one yet but the one I drove was nice. Its really stong and well defined. Dont like the rev-limiter and low redline but thats coming from a classic owner :D I love the looks. If I was going for a new 4 door car for cheap that would be it I do believe.

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
While I like the 2000SE, I will hold for the 2002 SE-R. When I see the 2K SE I think the Maxima and the Altima had a baby :)

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2002 SE-R?!?!?!?! Where's the info on that???

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
It has been discussed on the main list.
2002 Sentra SE-R: 4 door, 2.5L (4cylinder??), 6-speed from Mike Kojima. He knows more but wont tell. Here is what he said:
"The 2002 SE-R will have 180 hp, a 2.5 liter all aluminum balance shaft, very
compact motor that is about the same size and lighter than the SR, a six
speed tranny and 17 inch wheels and sell for around $17k. It will be the
biggest bang for the buck on the market just like the old SE-R was."

G

·
0 Posts
you may notice i'm diggin up old stuff. i like to read b4 i jump so i can avoid posting stuff that you have discussed over and over. (still got alot of reading to do.)

i do have a 2000 SE with the performace package. not quite the SE-R it comes from but i am satisfied. there are a few downsides that i've seen, particularly lack of aftermarket anything @ this point. hopefully p.s.t. will come out with some AGX's for me soon! i'm sure eibach will follow. i have fab'd a CAI, as i mentioned before but would love some headers and the usual bolt ons!. guess i'll have to be patient.

the rev limiter does SUCK! but the low end grunt isn't too bad either. once again, c'mon JWT! the handling of this car is quite impressive, especially from someone who never owned a car with a backseat, let alone 4 doors to boot! i do have a couple of questions if you could indulge the new guy ;D

what's up with the cat coming right off the exhaust manifold? when headers come out, is it a simple as relocating the cat further back in the system? also, it has the valved muffler, which regulates back pressure as it's needed. i need something deeper and a LITTLE louder. would the straight thru mufflers help low/high end or would i have to lose some of one to gain the other?

Thanks for your time

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Congrats on the car!

As far as the cat on the header, I believe someone said they had experience with this on another car (Maxima maybe?) and just replacing the header with an aftermarket one with no cat on the header did fine, just the cold engine emissions might not be as great since it takes a little longer to heat up the second cat. So maybe the current SR20 headers would work fine?

Dunno about changing the muffler. You could get your noise, but dunno about the change in low end/high end power. That's uncharted territory at this point in time. Wanna dyno the change for the good of the SR20 community? You could be the one... :)

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
And the JWT ECU, I know the 97 will work on the 98 ok, possibly the 99 (not sure), and maybe on the 2k? Call JWT and ask if a 97 ECU on a 2k would be similar to a 97 on a 98. If so, there you go :)

G

·
0 Posts
i have no problem being a lab rat for the good of the hood. actually, a local car club is trying to get some dyno time @ a cheap rate. i have concrete plans to be there. i want to test my cai vs using it as a pop. just to see the actual #'s. i'll most likely not be able to come up with the cash by then for a straight thru muffler, but when i do, i'll definately post the dyno's.

i believe the maf is different from the 99's. i know it was visually. i'm assuming functionality has changed as well. JWT and STILLEN both have a 2k se they've been toying with. they said a chip s/b out shortly after they complete the 98-99's. i just have to wait my turn.

while i have this on my mind, i have to ask. i think i know the answer but what the hell...

fmax turbo vs. imported turbo from the DET. i think the fmax w/b better bcuz it bolts on. i think i've read that if you do the det's turbo, you'll have to change your compression ratio and pistons? let me know how far i'm off!

thanks for your time!

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
If you are talking the plain DET versus the plain stage one FMAX kit, the FMAX kit will net you better power because it has a better turbo and good front mount intercooler. The FMAX also has a JWT ECU which means it's well tuned.

Now if you want to upgrade later, the DET *might* have an edge with the lower comp crank and rods, unless you wanted to go with new forged internals in your DE. People do good both ways.

G

·
0 Posts
I also now own a 2000 SE with Perf Package, 5spd. Love the car, great, cheap, little car. I still have my 91 se-r, just traded in the maxima for the new sentra! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts