SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe it. My wife actually has no problems with me going next year, even though it's all the way in California... we live in Tampa Florida.

The catch... she wants to come with the kids. I'm in heaven. I was so torn at the convention this year, wishing I had at least brought my oldest son(he's 4). Now, it looks like we'll be taking 2 weeks off and driving out. Since we were looking at Durango's, maybe even a jeep cherokee... I'll be trailering my semi-stock Classic.

Price of New Vehicle: we're already making payments, so who cares
Time of from work: Vacation pay, baby
Cost of Gas: I don't want to know
Cost of Tow dolly or half trailor: it's necessary so that doesn't count

Look on my oldest son's face when he sees his daddy really, ahem, "racing": Priceless

Later,
Mark(guess who's car budget just got whoppersized for next year;)?)

·
SR20VE or a T28? I dunno!
1,664 Posts
My family would LOVE to go to So Cal for the 2004 convention, but I don't think I'll be making it since I would want to drive my car, I just started a new job and I would want ALOT of new parts to make it there in speed, comfort and style :D

Oh well... there's always the 2005!

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Mark--

Great news! Don't worry about the cost of gas to tow a long, long, long way. It is inconsequential. We don't do these things for money, nor do we not do them because of money.

Just so you know: My gas bill (93 premium, 24.5 gallon tank) for 1,300 miles last week was right at $240.

·
Bitter Old Man
2,623 Posts
Yup, Kerry's Durango pulling the race car averaged about 12 miles per gallon, and that's the SMALL V-8.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
Slartibartfast said:
Yup, Kerry's Durango pulling the race car averaged about 12 miles per gallon, and that's the SMALL V-8.
It didn't help that you and George were in the truck too. :eek: ;)

·
Bitter Old Man
2,623 Posts
Ouch!!!

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whatever vehicle we get will have to have cruise control. After 17 years of cruise control in my old Honda, my right calf must have gotten flabby. It's funny, I drove almost the identical distance down from Durham to Tampa when I bought the car... yeah, I must be getting old, it hurt like heck then, too.

Yowsa, Greg... $240? Oh well, money isn't the deciding factor here... finding a vehicle that will safely tow the car and double as my wife's daily driver and kid hauler is. Don't know if the trip will be considered my part(ok, all) of my "upgrade" budget or if it will remain mostly stock. At the very least, no matter the upgrade state of my car, I'll bring extra oil, coolant, extra set of bedded pads... ummmm, cheap set of wheels with heat cycled azenis on them.

Time to get the calculator out, attempt to plan for the unexpected during the trip across country... with 3 kids, that's a given.

Later,
Mark(Dear Santa... I want an H2, trailor with built in storage compartments, and a Red Ryder BB Gun)

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Mark--

Yep, $240 for 1300 miles. My truck gets 14-15mpg normally. When towing, 12-13mpg is pretty darn good.

F-150 Lightning = 4,600 lbs
Trailer = 1,200 lbs
SE-R = 2,500 lbs

That's 7,300 lbs moving down the highway. It is hard on any vehicle. You'll need a tranny cooler, etc. to really make it work well without blowing up.

IMHO.

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still, that's what we "pay" to have fun with our friends. I'm not looking at getting a full tow trailer, just want to get the front wheels off the ground. Tranny cooler, eh? New info for me... makes sense, though.

I'll start my usual research, I've got about 7 months... 4 to really play with(I spent 6 months looking for the "right" Classic, ditto for researching and buying new wheels and tires). 14 mpg towing the car would be awesome. That's not the deciding factor. My wife works outside advertising and drives alot at times. Mileage has got to be at least as good as the Green Turtle she's driving now. Still, Keri's Durango looked really nice, it can obviously pull a car... and, we've already found a '02 with the smaller v8 for a great price and low mileage and accteptable cost. Worried about the recall on the cv joints, though.

One way or another we'll be there. I'd prefer to take my car, obviously. But even that isn't the deciding factor.

Thanks,
Mark(I love all my children dearly... can't wait for them to get out of daycare;)

·
Bitter Old Man
2,623 Posts
What recall is that, Mark?

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm still looking up the specifics myself, Greg. Caught a hint about it on a 20/20 program. Lisa called the Dodge dealership today and Jeff(nice trouble shooter at the dealership) did confirm that there was a cv joint problem. Unfortunately Lisa didn't get specifics for which models or years and the dealership was closed by the time I came home from work. She did mention that Jeff included the phrase "catastrophic failure".

I'll find the info, like the vehicle but don't need a headache. I'll also find out why JD Power and assoc.'s only gave it a 2 out of 5 rating. Everyone I've talked to and the reviews I read really like the vehicle.

Later,
Mark(Slow drivers keep to the right... that's me!)

·
Ironman
1,820 Posts
vladha said:
I'll also find out why JD Power and assoc.'s only gave it a 2 out of 5 rating. Everyone I've talked to and the reviews I read really like the vehicle.
Yeah, everyone I've talked with who has owned one also have loved it, including us. I had very low expectations of Dodge, but I've been tremendously happy with the Durango. Hell it's way more reliable than my Bummer, er, Bimmer. ;)

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here's where I'm starting, George.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm

Looks like the investigation is still open.

Later,
Mark

Poop, link isn't working very well. I looked under defect investigation... hasn't resulted in a recall, yet. This is for an '02 Durango, by the way... didn't search for other years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts