SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
i read somewhere that it was 15lbs.. i weighed mine with the tire and it was ~34lb

·
Old
744 Posts
It's actually 17lbs. Remember I bought my 15.5 lbs rims to be lighter...not heavier. :)

BTW totally off topic but how much do stock si rims weigh...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yes Chrissy I remember.. i go through and read EVERY single one of your posts because I wouldnt be able to sleep at night unless I knew what you did to your car and why you did it every step of the way :rolleyes:

·
Old
744 Posts
I know, I feel the same about you!:p

·
Newbie? more like Old-bie
202 Posts
Chrissy wrote:
It's actually 17lbs. Remember I bought my 15.5 lbs rims to be lighter...not heavier.
If you're looking for lighter wheels, but stock size (15x6) for stock autocross, 99+ Miata sport wheels work very well and only weigh around 11.5 lbs. You will, however, have to get the center bores opened up to 60mm from the Mazda 54mm.

I did this for my solo car and it's a very noticeable difference.

If someone is looking for a cheap set of Miata wheels to do this, I know someone who's willing to sell a set of 4 wheels for much less than dealers or Miata.net classifieds.

Larry MacLeod
'96 "Chipped" SE-R in ES (soon to be GS)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SERCA96 said:

You will, however, have to get the center bores opened up to 60mm from the Mazda 54mm.
I did this for my solo car and it's a very noticeable difference.
how did you go about doing this? Ive wanted miata rims for some time but i wasnt sure if the centers bores would fit.

Same thing with honda rims, they are smaller and will not fit cleanly on a se-r.

any advice on what tools i would need to accomplish this? Ive tried a ghetto method before.. but i want it to be clean and professional.

Thanks!

markp

·
Newbie? more like Old-bie
202 Posts
how did you go about doing this? Ive wanted miata rims for some time but i wasnt sure if the centers bores would fit.
It's not something I could do myself. You'll need a very good mill and the proper fixtures.

I talked to a few people around here that have had custom wheel work done. They recommended a local shop that does wheel repair and custom wheels.

The place I used did an excellent job of keeping the c-bore centered on the wheel, keeping it round, no burrs, etc... all without damaging the wheels at all.

The downside was they charged me $30 per wheel ($120 for the set). But if you can find a set of wheels for under $400, even the added cost of the wheel shop, it's still much cheaper than buying a set of Volks at $250+ each wheel.

Strangely, I've stumbled upon an extra set of 99+ Miata wheels. I'm not sure if I'm going to bore them out, too or just sell them. I already have 1 set of Miata wheels custom fit, as well as 2 extra B14 SE-R wheels all for just race tires. I don't know if I need another set of 4 Miata wheels for more race tires (or maybe for the street).

-Larry MacLeod
'96 SE-R in ES (soon to be GS)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Miata Rimz

Larry, get me those 99+ miata rims...I'll pick up the tab..email me privately..
gpser96

·
Registered
125 Posts
SERCA96 said:
Chrissy wrote:
If you're looking for lighter wheels, but stock size (15x6) for stock autocross, 99+ Miata sport wheels work very well and only weigh around 11.5 lbs.
Hmmm. Retire stock 200SX SE-R wheels to snow tire use, move 2000 Miata wheels over to the 200, leaving an opportunity to get a set of SSR Comps for the Miata. Droolsville...

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts