SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Enjoying the Ride
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2012 Nissan SR20 National Convention sponsored by SR20Deep

Original posting from Rob Ocasio (SE-Rican)

After many phone calls and decision making I am proud to announce that the 2012 Convention is coming to Ohio. Rob (SE-Rican) along with Lourok and XxToKeSxX will be organizing the 2012 festivities. Once we got approval from the powers that be (the wonderful SR20Deep family) we hit the road running. We have some great ideas and luckily things are falling right into place perfectly. We still have some things to fine tune but, in a nut shell things are pretty much set in stone.

The Official Convention dates will be Friday, June 1, 2012 through Sunday, June 3, 2012.

Hotel Info

We will be staying at the Hyatt Place located in Independence, Ohio (20 min south of Cleveland, Ohio). Hotel rates and reservation information will be posted once contract negotiations have been finalized. We have a meeting room set up for Thursday, May 31, 2012. I am planning a very informal meet and greet. Pretty much some time to meet people and talk about the fun filled weekend. As of right now I am thinking to start this meet and greet at or around 8:30 PM. Also for people flying in the Hyatt Place offers to and from shuttle service at no cost. There is plenty of parking for us and for those of you who may bring their cars on trailers the space is available. The cool thing about Independence, Ohio is that there is a lot to do locally. Many restaurants and some cool hangout locations. Another kicker is that we will all get free breakfast every morning. Also there is a small bar so we can get our swerve on. Now I made sure that they didn’t have a water fountain…. Is that OK with you WILL????

TRACK DAY!!!!

For all of you all out turn crazy gear heads on Friday, June 1, 2012 we have the pleasure to be able to have our track day at Nelson Ledges Road Course located in Garrettsville, Ohio. Track rates are at $130 dollars for 6 hours of fun all out racing on a great 2 mile road course. We are pretty much guaranteed to run 20 minutes out of every hour from the hours of 10 AM to 4 PM. The event we are joining is called a Fun Day Run Day. Pretty much it is a test and tune type environment and for the most part we may be the only organized group there so track time should be plentiful. Standard road course safety equipment is required such as helmets, seat belts, and a properly running car with no leaks and what not. Pretty much a properly running car will be allowed to run.

More details will be added as we get closer to the dates.

Drag Day…….

For all you “I live my life at a quarter mile at a time” type of guys we have a drag day scheduled for Saturday, June 2, 2012. Times for this day are still pending. I am waiting to hear from back from the track to get exact times and prices. Tentatively we will be running at Thompson Raceway located in Thompson, Ohio. It is a very nice NHRA sanctioned track that has a very good reputation from the locals. Again once I get confirmation I will edit the details. If things fall through we have two other tracks to choose from. We will get our drag on for sure……..
Also on this day for those of you who are not into drag racing there is a lot to do in the local area. You will be hop, skip and a jump away from Cleveland. It is a very centralized location with the options to do many things.

Picnic /BBQ Day

This is something that I truly wanted to keep simple and family oriented. After speaking with Ameen and Lou we decided to host our Picnic/BBQ at a place called the 103rd OVI. Now the story behind this place is interesting. My wife’s family are members of the 103rd OVI. The 103rd OVI was a voluntary group of men who fought in the Civil War many moons ago. After the war was over this group of men and their families on a yearly basis created a reunion. After many years of theses yearly reunions the group decided to purchase some land (4 acres) located right on the bank of Lake Erie. So as the years went by these people started to build these really nice cottages that to this day have been converted into full time homes and summer homes. I am fortunate enough to now be part of this and our family happens to own 3 houses on this property. There is plenty of parking and there is a nice simple meeting building/kitchen that is often rented out for baby showers and wedding rehearsal dinners. So it is the perfect place. If you want to go for a swim or just want to sit back and relax and talk car smack this place is perfect. The 103rd OVI is located in Sheffield Lake, Ohio. If you are a Civil War buff then this place is for you. We have a very nice Museum as well so tours can be set up.
During the picnic we have a raffle planned and we hope to be able to give out some great items once the sponsors get lined up.

Car Shoot Out!

This will be organized by the one and only Wes. I will let him post the details of this in his own thread.

Guys our goal for this Convention was to keep it affordable and it will be a pay as you go type of weekend. Meaning that no money will be needed up front. This avoids the transferring of money from hands to hands. I feel this is something that hurt some Conventions. The SR20Deep Family wants to keep the Conventions alive and going. We also wanted to keep the driving down to a minimal while you are all here. As of right now everything is within 1 hour of the hotel. I feel this is great. This will be my first Convention so what better way to ensure that I go? I decided to help organize one .
To avoid any miscommunication I will use this post and edit it as I gather details. I will make sure to post that updates are available.
So with that being said I promise you that this Convention will be great. Ameen, Lou and I will not have it any other way. We have some great ideas and like I mentioned above we are still fine tuning some things so when the details come in as far as hotel contact information and airport info for those of you flying I will post it all up.

Thanks to everyone for giving Ohio a chance to show you all a good time.

Rob Ocasio

I quickly created a Facebook page. I will try to keep this up to date as well.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/2012-S...=wall&filter=2

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
Thanks for posting the info here Joe.

I will do my best to keep things updated here. I know Chris should be editing the sub forum's name here soon.

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
Hotel details below

UPDATE

Here are all the hotel details as promised. As of right now we have 25 rooms blocked off. The rooms are all a suite style set up. We have the choice of a single king size bed room or two full size beds per room with both of them having a sleeper sofa. Comfortably in the two full size bed room with sleeper sofa 3 people can sleep and of course they can be filled with more . The room rates are locked in at $89 a night plus tax. This rate will be available only if you book your rooms prior to April 30, 2012. After the cutoff date the rates will go up to $149 a night plus tax. So please get these rooms reserved so you can get the group rate. They will need a major credit card to make the reservations. Just mention you will be attending the 2012 Nissan Convention. As you all know my name is Robert Ocasio just in case they ask who the hosting party is.
Now once you book a room you have up to 72 hours prior to your arrival date to cancel. If you do not cancel prior to that 72 hour deadline you will be charged a minimum of one night’s rate ($89 + tax). I have no control over this so please make sure you guys stay on top of this. This is all part of the contract so take this as me telling you so. You are 100% responsible for this as well as any other charges made to the room and or damages.
The room rate of $89 + tax is only available from May 31, 2012 through June 3, 2012. Any other nights outside these dates will be charged the hotels normal rates.

The Hotel is located at:

Hyatt Place
6025 Jefferson Drive
Independence, Ohio 44131
PH: 216-328-1060

I know it is still far out but, as far as parking we will be parking in the back of the hotel. There is plenty of space for our cars and for those of you who plan on tailoring your cars.

·
Registered
74 Posts
can't wait!!!
now if anyone in the Cleveland area would like to pitch in to help me put my engine back together it would be appreciated no rush just need to have it up and running by jun 1st.

·
Is that wrong??
2,118 Posts
sweet, i'll be close by in 2012

·
98 b14
1 Posts
New to this side n new in ohio really will like to meet new friend n new ppl.. i stay in cleveland oh like 5 min away from independece.. again like to meet new ppl n make friend.. n if u seen a black 4dr ser out in cleveland with florida tag yea thats me

·
Hostile Aberration
4,820 Posts
I am alive! If we can free up time Pam and I will try and attend, even though we no loner rock a SR20 beast.
That is A-OK, half the folks going own a damn Subaru. :tongue:

·
slave to the grind
2,707 Posts
I am alive! If we can free up time Pam and I will try and attend, even though we no loner rock a SR20 beast.
Its a lie! We need proof! LOL:tongue:

·
NX Lightweight Not SE-R
859 Posts
Are these the correct addresses/numbers for the various places not listed?

Nelson ledges- 10342 Ohio 305 Garrettsville, OH 44231 (440) 548-8551

Thompson Raceway -8233 Sidley Road Thompson, OH 44086 (440)298-1350

103rd DUI- 5501 E Lake Rd Sheffield Lake, OH 44054 (440)949-2790

·
sr20freak
4 Posts
Rob, I think it is really awesome you have taken the time plan out a SR20 convention. My wife and I did the one back in 2008 in Las Vegas. It was alot of work, planning, and money gathering. I really love that there is still SR20 love out there! My wife and I wish we could be there. Not in the budget for 2012. Hopefully next year though! Have a good time and keep Enjoying the ride!! Long live the SR!!
And I'm always down for questions and helping out with Tech help Still. Now, Officially I have been a SE-R guy for 18 years now. OMGosh, I'm old.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Rob, I think it is really awesome you have taken the time plan out a SR20 convention. My wife and I did the one back in 2008 in Las Vegas. It was alot of work, planning, and money gathering. I really love that there is still SR20 love out there! My wife and I wish we could be there. Not in the budget for 2012. Hopefully next year though! Have a good time and keep Enjoying the ride!! Long live the SR!!
And I'm always down for questions and helping out with Tech help Still. Now, Officially I have been a SE-R guy for 18 years now. OMGosh, I'm old.
18 Years... Old Fart!!!! Lets see... I started in 1996 .. Only a few years behind you!! After 8 years I am resurrecting my B14 - Turbo Again..

SE-R Story ... This guy George has been probably the most influential person in my life... We started chating on the SR20 IRC Chan way back and 1st hung out at a Stillen meet way back! Headed to Carlsbad raceway "RIP" and got hooked. Less then a year later George and I built my GTI-R Motor back in 1998 I think it was and in Feb of 2001 my car made it to the Cover of Sport Compact Car with one of the most powerful SE-Rs in the country at the time 560HP or so... Lots of late nights working on cars together and lots of days and sometimes late night geeking out at JWT where George worked!! Humm Then next some chick "Amber" comes into JWT and said theirs a guy here know knows SE-Rs and SR20's inside and out... George gave me a call and told me DUDE you have to go help this chick I am married and so on!! So I go help... Somehow she had a Roller motor ?!?! We never seen one and they didn't hit the states in production for another 2 years.. She pulled the 1.6L out of her 4 door by her self with Sara "Big SE-R Chick" aka Ask Sara!! Yah.. Anyways she had a few wrong things like Tranny,ECU,Axels Etc.. She was broke and I was balling out of control like I always do! ha :) I bought her everything she needed .. A few years later we ditched her 4 door and got her a bucket NX2K and fixed it all up.. Amber was the 3nd person in the US to have a VVL Benind Carl "I think his name was" with the Automatic NX2K then Joker and about 2 weeks after him Amber had hers dropped in.. In short its now 2012 me and Amber are married with her 13 year old daughter whom I have known since 6mo old ...

So George got me into car's and hooked me up with the most amazing wife. This is why I think George is one of the greatest guys in the world... Thanks Bro!!

So the SE-R Community is very special to allot of us and I am also glad to see the conventions still going strong... Thanks guys for keeping it going!!

·
sr20freak
4 Posts
If it is in Phoenix, I'll be there. So will my cousin in my old B-13 N2O Beast. :jammin:
I know Kyle Davis would go If I told him I was going to be there. For that matter Justin M.
might even help out. Justin..???

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
I have a feeling that this year is gonna determine next years location. I say lets go back to the southeast!! O_O :)

·
officially a boost addict
1,025 Posts
it'll end up in the east for sure again next year. This convention is going to top all others...

·
Sr20Deep CT
467 Posts
Who had the Grey G35 at the track? i need his info because he left his cd case in the truck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts