SR20 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some wheels/tires from some guy that said he had them on his b14 for a couple of months, and they wouldn't fit for beans on my b13. They're 205/50/15s. I thought b14 and b13 tire sizes were about the same, but I guess not. I haven't tried spacers, but I doubt they'd work, as the tire is so firmly planted on the strut that I was able to tighten the lug nuts with the tire off the ground! So my question is, has anyone been able to fit a 205/45/16 tire on a b13 before, or should I stick with 205/40/16? Thanks.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Spacers are exactly what you need to make the, fit. Make some out of wood to test fit (obviously don't drive your car with them) and see how big you need to go. I recommend H&R spacers they come in a package with longer studs. You can get them from Options Auto Salon or there is a place in Cleveland that you should be able to find with Google. They are about the same price.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I was planning on getting either 205/45/16 or 205/50/16's pretty soon, so I'm kind of glad this thread came up. I'm assuming that they won't fit because they'll rub where where the springs seat in the struts? Anyone verify?

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2xSE-R said:
I was planning on getting either 205/45/16 or 205/50/16's pretty soon, so I'm kind of glad this thread came up. I'm assuming that they won't fit because they'll rub where where the springs seat in the struts? Anyone verify?
Exactly. Whatever you do, don't get 50's. 45's might fit if you get big enough spacers, but I'm not going to bother. I went ahead and got 40's, and I'll tell everyone how they worked out when they come in the mail in another week and a half.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have 205/40/16 and wouldn't you know it only one rubs....The rear driver side....so at my friends work yesterday since my tire was getting wrecked after 2 days of being on there we made a quick solution and put 1 washer on each of the 4 lugs and just about 1/16th of an inch or whatever made it not rub anymore.....I dont know if this is a great idea or not but we will soon see

·
Registered
159 Posts
also my car is pretty low i have some tire tuck in the rear so i couldnt us a spacer if i wanted or else i would have to roll the fender...so thats why i use the washers

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
Mackin has some 3mm spacers that I used for my 16's.

·
Registered
504 Posts
SE-R1992ReD said:
put 1 washer on each of the 4 lugs and just about 1/16th of an inch or whatever made it not rub anymore.....I dont know if this is a great idea or not but we will soon see

Not a good idea. Fix that as soon as possible. You run a high risk of losing a wheel. The lug nuts are not what hold the wheel on, it's the friction between the hub and wheel... and that method eliminates a significant portion of the force holding the wheel on.

Andy

·
Registered
504 Posts
SE-R1992ReD said:
Try to drive around with out lugs and tell me if the wheel falls off
The lug nuts provide the friction but they don't "hold the wheel on". The wheel isn't hanging on the lug studs as soon as you tighten the lug nuts down.

Trust me, spend the $5 for a spacer.

·
-
3,560 Posts
FYI, 205/45R16 fits fine with a 38offset on my car.

Lowered with Hyperco Gen1s, the rear rubs the fender on large bumps with two rear passengers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts