SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, you saw my question. i am starting to make a budget for my future with my se-r and i want to be getting 300hp out of it when i'm done. thus, i need some SE-Rious help from you all. right now all i care about is the engines cost. keep in mind my car has 100,000 miles on it so i'll probably need a rebuild. anyways, i would kinda like for you to throw some awesome setups and estimate prices at me while i try to get my own also. i want to stay with the sr20de and not go 'det since that's an extra 2500 or so out of my pocket. please, and thank you.

------------------
never saw me coming did you honduh owner?

http://www.geocities.com/monsoonsite/myser_intro.html

G

·
buy the deT!
seriously, the de will require some MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR rebuilding to get 300 horsepower, unless you want to rig up like a 150-shot nitrous system. if you rig up a system like that, tho, your de will blow up prolly the first time you crank it. really. buy the deT, redo the internals to withstand this much HP, do all the engine externals, I MEAN ALL, and crank the boost up!

sucks, but 300 off a de would be a little over DOUBLING the HP output, which is too much for the little beauty to handle.

i'm sure somebody will tell me i am completely wrong. i am stupid.

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

·
Registered
858 Posts
yeah definitely need a det.much cheaper to go with a gti-r det 230 hp stock then dial up the boost ,cobra maf, and 300z fuel pump, remap ecu if you have jw ecu then you should be around 280-300 hp easy but for about4-5 thousand bucks. I've spent more than this on my NA engine and am no where near 300. if I only had this forum 9 years ago .(damn I want a turbo bad) good luck.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Monsoon:
det ehh? what about this engine:

Nissan SR16VE N1 Motor - This is the motor that you have been looking for! 1.6 VVL N1 Spec. Stock HP on this motor is 205! STOCK!
</font>
If you wanted on of those you should'a started saving when you were still in the womb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
what the feck is it!? if a det is the way to go though, i guess it'd be worth it. i am only 16 so i am prepping a list for the future of this car. that engine above is over 5 grand though, so that idea is out.

</font>
Yup. If your motor is in good condition go with an F-max kit. Or if you have high milage go for the GTI-R DET. More power!!!

Mike

G

·
what about milling it, then adding oil sqt's, 300z pistons w/ high compression (10.5-11?), head work then maybe a JWT 50 shot nos?

·
_______
3,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike's$800SE-R:
what about milling it, then adding oil sqt's, 300z pistons w/ high compression (10.5-11?), head work then maybe a JWT 50 shot nos?</font>
With that your probably looking at 250-260hp. Plus it would only be when your on the bottle. Off the bottle you looking at around 190-200hp the most from a street able high CR motor. I think the only way to make a SR have 300hp is to go Turbo. The BTCC SR's are around 300+hp but those are all out race motors. You don't want to be rebuilding it every week.

Mike

G

·
But would the turbo make it dependable and last in the long run?
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Gosselin:
With that your probably looking at 250-260hp. Plus it would only be when your on the bottle. Off the bottle you looking at around 190-200hp the most from a street able high CR motor. I think the only way to make a SR have 300hp is to go Turbo. The BTCC SR's are around 300+hp but those are all out race motors. You don't want to be rebuilding it every week.

Mike
</font>

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Well yes. NOS can last along time also. It just depends on how you take care of things. The DET is a factory turbo motor. They are designed to last the lifetime of the car.

When you get a kit (F-max or HS) you getting a solid designed mod. A turbo motor can last 200 even 300K miles if treated rite. The things that kill turbo motors are mostly to much boost,low oil,bad rings,detonation(from to much boost) and blown head gaskets(from to much boost). So as long as you don't over do it you should have a very reliable car.

Mike

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what about milling it, then adding oil sqt's, 300z pistons w/ high compression (10.5-11?), head work then maybe a JWT 50 shot nos?

how much would that cost? i've heard bad things about nos and people saying stay away from it because it burns an engine. what if i use it for the occasional street race where i have competition (let's say a camaro or mustang)? but not every race. maybe once or twice a month at the max. then i have to look at refilling the bottle, and will it do damage down the road or WAY down the road if i do this? is there a way to beef the innards to prevent it? it just sounds cheaper than buying a whole engine, intercooler, and all that crap. but reliability wise, which is better? as you can see, i know crap about these cars.

------------------

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
alot, the boaring, piston modification (you have to mill the piston) oil squirters, ecu, all of that stuff adds up. dollar for dollar, you should go turbo. nitrous is fun, until you find out you don't have it all of the time.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
det ehh? what about this engine:

Nissan SR16VE N1 Motor - This is the motor that you have been looking for! 1.6 VVL N1 Spec. Stock HP on this motor is 205! STOCK!

what the feck is it!? if a det is the way to go though, i guess it'd be worth it. i am only 16 so i am prepping a list for the future of this car. that engine above is over 5 grand though, so that idea is out.

------------------

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
good luck getting the 16ve....very limited production engine espcialy the N1 version. I would guestamate probaly 4 to 6 thousand for one easily....not very cost effective. for the most HP probaly best bet would go this way. get a used DE and have it rebuilt and add in oil squirters to the cylinders. maybe coat stuff if you are conserned with longegitvy even tho i dont know if its totaly neccessary but "while you're in there". then grab the FMAX stage II kit. Ryan B.s car is a stock de with the kit on it making 400 whp. so that would probaly be the most cost effective. say 300 max for a used DE. then maybe 1000 for a rebuild(being very libaral here). then what is the II kit running these days....4000? that kit on a high compression de (9.5:1) will yeild quite a bit of hp and hell Ryan is still running his car pretty hard and its lasted a few years now.

Or get you a DET. i would say go with the BlueBird motor. That GTi-R motor is way over hyped. on bad thing about it is that it costs maybe double that of a bluebird and if your not a mechanic you will end up spending more on it getting the valves adjusted than its probaly worth. mechanical lifters good for higher hp and not as much worries at high rpm but i dont think its really worth it for a daily driver. the bluebird motor has proven itself very well. get that then get a cobra maf, larger injectors, large front mount intercooler. that should allow you to turn up the boost a little getting you damn near 300hp i would guestamate.

or you could go the expesnvie and tricky way of NA and NOS. build up a "beast" getting near 170 whp then throw on a 50 shot. not 300 but still fast and no turbo lag, no good days/bad days cause of tempature/humidity that affect intercoolers and turbos soo much. oh well. easier way totaly.....sell the bitch and get a lt1 car like a WS-6
ooooooh i want one damn 1950's technology(push rods)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Originally posted by Bowlcut:
the bluebird motor has proven itself very well. get that then get a cobra maf, larger injectors, large front mount intercooler. that should allow you to turn up the boost a little getting you damn near 300hp i would guestamate.

What is the max boost that the t25 can run on the Bluebird w/ the above mods? Plus how easy would this swap be compared to a gti-r? Considerin that my only experience with workin on car is a header/intake install, tons of oil changes and one rack and pinion in a 87 supra (damn PITA!!!)

[This message has been edited by CruznSER (edited 12-31-2000).]

[This message has been edited by CruznSER (edited 12-31-2000).]

·
_______
3,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CruznSER:
What is the max boost that the t25 can run on the Bluebird w/ the above mods? Plus how easy would this swap be compared to a gti-r? Considerin that my only experience with workin on car is a header/intake install, tons of oil changes and one rack and pinion in a 87 supra (damn PITA!!!)
The T25 is only designed to run 10psi max(everyday use). You can run higher but it gets real hot and they tend to self distruct quickly(at 14psi the t25 would be spinning at ~250k rpm's!!). I run mine at 10psi all the time with no problems. The other problem with the t25 is the exhaust turbine housing is very small. When you start turning up the boost it creates lots of back pressure and it is enough to have reversion of hot exhaust gasses into the clinder. If you run 12-14 psi on the t25 you'll have around 50psi of BP in the manifold. The reversion will cause detonation and could even crack the manifold.

Now if you had a bigger turbo I'd say you could run 18psi with the BB DET on pump gas. This also depends on the effency of the turbo and size of the IC.

My future plans are to get a GTI-R mani and turbo and run 14psi all the time. At the track I'll turn it up to 16psi for some fun runs. I already have the MSD injectors and cobra maf so its possible to do.

Mike

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
the swap wouldnt be that much different with the bb instead of the gti-r. well the throtle cable lines up on the bb instead of the gti-r. but the main thing is less matience on the bb instead of the gti-r and cost. the bb has hydrolic valve lash adjusters where ad the gti-r has solid lifters that require adjusting like every 30k or so i dont remember. like a honda. if you are making a daily driver the bb would be a better choice.

like mike says the t25 doesnt like much boost. so its pretty easy to change out the turbo to something a little bigger if you are wanting more than like 250. mike? wouldnt you guess that for the BB 10psi bout 250whp? im pulling that number out of my ass at the moment. but for max hp a fmax probaly would be a better way to go if you engine is in decent shape.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bowlcut:
like mike says the t25 doesnt like much boost. so its pretty easy to change out the turbo to something a little bigger if you are wanting more than like 250. mike? wouldnt you guess that for the BB 10psi bout 250whp?</font>
Yup Yup its rite around their! I calculated my hp from 1/4 mile trap speeds and got rite around 240hp. On that run I was pushing 10-12psi.

Also another thing about the T25 it won't hold boost to redline even with a EBC. If I have my EBC set to 10psi in 3rd it will start to taper off to 7-8psi after 6k rpm's.

Mike

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm jus throwing this question out there but what if you install a f-max turbo kit on a bb det, what is the max "safety" amount of boost that this motor can handle stock? And at what horsepower will this put to the wheels? Obviously this would exceed the 300 hp goal daily driven.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm jus throwing this question out there but what if you install a f-max turbo kit on a bb det, what is the max "safety" amount of boost that this motor can handle stock? And at what horsepower will this put to the wheels? Obviously this would exceed the 300 hp goal daily driven.</font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Gosselin:
Now if you had a bigger turbo I'd say you could run 18psi with the BB DET on pump gas. This also depends on the effency of the turbo and size of the IC.</font>
Look up
at 18 psi on pump gas would be pushing it to the limit of detonation with the bb det. I'd say 16psi to be safe. I asked Rob C. the same thing and that is what he told me. Assuming you had the fule management to run it I think you'd be putting down well over 300hp mebey even 350.

Mike

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hey Mike,

I checked out your page and did those MSD injectors bolt right on to the intake manifold? Or are my eyes failing me?

Chris

1 - 20 of 30 Posts