SR20 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Noobish..
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just had both axles replaced.

Now the car, from 20-35mph ( mostly at 30mph ) seems to have a vibration... most noticeable when i have the car in gear and have my foot on the gas pedal.
I do not really notice it out of gear when the car is just moving.

I had the passenger side and driver's side redone seperately. The vibration started after the passenger side axle was replaced.

The first axle replacement made my steering wheel off center to the left.
The second axle replacement made my steering wheel off center to the right.

Any ideas on what this could be... maybe my alignment is jacked up now?
Or.. maybe one of the axles is bad? of note.. this problem doesn't seem to happen over 35mph.

·
SE-R Abuser
789 Posts
im curious, do they have the balance weights on them on the shaft between the boots? if not they're cheap crap an thats prolly your problem

·
Noobish..
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
F***********************************

The driver's side has a rubber dealy about the size of an inch that looks like the dynamic balancer.
The right side is missing this entirely. There is a ridge in the axle, it looks like that's where the balancer would go.

They are both cardones.
Time to yell at someone.

·
Noobish..
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Napa says they're balanced from the factory, and blah blah blah.

I'll get a new one tomorrow.
Could alignment be causing this ?

·
Noobish..
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh boy, just got back from the alignment shop.

-1.9 degrees of camber on both front wheels, -1.2 on both rears
Toe adjustment on passenger side is off by 0.75 degrees

Could my springs be causing the ~ -2 degrees of camber?

·
Drivin' my life away. . .
409 Posts
Did they get the center bearing installed properly when they replaced the passenger side axle?
That is a lot of negative camber for stock springs in front unless they have sagged badly, which I don't think is likely. How much of the suspension did they take apart when they replaced the axles? Did the alignment tech look over the suspension carefully to see if everything was bolted up correctly? Your ball joints could be loose.
The rear on a B14 is solid with no camber adjustment. If you show that much negative camber and you have not had your beam bent, then I would suspect the alignment shop is wrong.

·
Noobish..
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Center bearing? I'm not entirely sure what that is. Are you referring to the place where the pass. side axle bolts up to the motor/transmission for support?

As for my alignment.. i have not had it aligned yet, i popped over to Midas and they did a free lookover. I had a mechanic who works on the side do the job. The suspension does not seem to be sagging, so i think Midas is giving me some bull. This car definitely has no bent beam on it, it's stock as it comes.

I've been told to replace my motor mounts, which i will do soon. They are certainly shot, being the original ones the car came with at 200k miles.

·
Drivin' my life away. . .
409 Posts
Yes, the place where the passenger side axle bolts to the engine is actualy a bearing. It can wear. However, a new axlw should have had a new bearing with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts