SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I drove to Peoria, IL for some work-related meetings.
I left Madison, WI with 15 miles on the trip meter, made it down and back before filling up.
427 miles, 11.152 gallons to fill up = 38.29 mpg!
My previous fill was 8.467 gallons for 283 miles = 33.42 mpg for 50/50 mix city/highway.
I had some cross winds for part of the way there and back, but most of the way back on I-39 there was a bit of a tailwind. I also had the sunroof up and the passenger window down all the way back.
My previous best was 36.25 going to OH last summer.
['93 SE-R with HS gen4,AEM CAI,JWT S4, JWT ECU, RT cat, Greddy cat-back, UR 2 pulley, CF hood]

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
Damn! I hope to be doing that good on my road trip to Omaha, NE this summer(950mi each way and I use premium/super unleaded.... :( )
That's pretty darn good!!!! :eek:

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
neonphire8604 said:
wow, the most i have gone on a tank after my motor swap was 320 miles.... maybe i need some tune up parts
Indeed. If there's any issue with gas mileage, it's always best to start with the basic tuneup. I had gotten almost 450 miles on one tankful after a tuneup once.....

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
civicdragon said:
well you gotta put the mph and rpm you were driving at... that plays a key part in high mpg's
IIRC, I was averaging 70-75mph or so at a steady cruise(can't recall the RPM though....). No jack rabbit entry onto the freeway, just a nice leisurely cruise to New Orleans. Also, I should add that the G20's tank capacity is about 15.9 gallons versus 13.2 for the Sentra.

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
howard_w13 said:
IIRC, I was averaging 70-75mph or so at a steady cruise(can't recall the RPM though....). No jack rabbit entry onto the freeway, just a nice leisurely cruise to New Orleans. Also, I should add that the G20's tank capacity is about 15.9 gallons versus 13.2 for the Sentra.
I was going about 70 most of the way on the interstate, around 60 elsewhere.
So around 3250 RPM on the interstate, per the MDM-100.
It's also interesting to watch the AFM voltage and injector times - with the cruise control set, you can see the results of the load on the engine with incline/decline, change in wind direction (high winds), etc.

The low fuel light didn't come on until around 415 miles on the trip meter.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
jp314 said:
I was going about 70 most of the way on the interstate, around 60 elsewhere.
So around 3250 RPM on the interstate, per the MDM-100.
It's also interesting to watch the AFM voltage and injector times - with the cruise control set, you can see the results of the load on the engine with incline/decline, change in wind direction (high winds), etc.

The low fuel light didn't come on until around 415 miles on the trip meter.
My wife's '03 GTi VR6 has a multifunction display, and I swear, I'm obsessed with the instantaneous and average MPG readout. 90% of the time I drive it like an old lady. Even with a 6 speed, that thing sucks down the 93 octane. I'll average high 20's on the highway and that's totally babying it.

C

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
atomicbomberman said:
damn.. i'll be lucky to get 280 a tank...

time for a new 02 sensor i guess
Don't replace the O2 sensor unless you know for sure it's not working properly, they're not cheap.

The O2 sensor in my car is OLD.
I thought it was bad a couple years ago, and swapped in the one from my '91 (with 135k miles) into my '93 to see if it made a difference.
That was before I had a Techtom MDM-100, and didn't know how to check the sensor.
It didn't make a difference so I left it in. (Turned out to be a bad cap & rotor)
So now it has 135k + 47k since = 182k miles on it.
MDM shows it switches RICH to LEAN and back plenty often, and I'm getting great mileage.

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
jp314 said:
Don't replace the O2 sensor unless you know for sure it's not working properly, they're not cheap.

The O2 sensor in my car is OLD.
I thought it was bad a couple years ago, and swapped in the one from my '91 (with 135k miles) into my '93 to see if it made a difference.
That was before I had a Techtom MDM-100, and didn't know how to check the sensor.
It didn't make a difference so I left it in. (Turned out to be a bad cap & rotor)
So now it has 135k + 47k since = 182k miles on it.
MDM shows it switches RICH to LEAN and back plenty often, and I'm getting great mileage.
Well, if a person doesn't have access to a Techtom MDM-100, unfortunately there's really no way to tell until after most of the other basic tuneup stuff has been done. In fact, I should have changed mine already ago but I've just been lazy....... :(

BTW, how long are they supposed to last?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
damn, NOT BAD.

I get 427 miles per tank.
HOWEVER its on an 1800lb SE-R.
My best has been 472. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts