SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5th gear finally went on me this morning.
It started popping out a few weeks ago, and I had been nursing it along using a bungee cord to hold the shifter in place when cruising along in 5th gear. But this morning, it wouldn't stay in 5th gear w. the bungee cord or me holding the shifter in place. Put it in 5th, put enough pressure on the shifter where my veins were popping out, breathe on the gas pedal and watch the rpms climb.

·
Registered
496 Posts
slowSER,
You can just have my tranny, who needs one anyways...
Why don't you call Eric G. and ask to borrow his. If all else fails just think you don't have to downshift anymore to squash hondas and celicas..

gpser96

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anybody hear of people having their trannies fixed for 5th gear popout and having problems afterward? Like it started popping out again a little while later or the tranny was just plain f*$#ed up afterward? I'm trying to figure out if I should buy a used tranny from a junkyard or just buy the parts and having someone fix it (I know a couple competent mechanics around here -- *I* ain't gonna trust myself ripping open something like a transmission).

·
Registered
194 Posts
We'll probably be doing mine this weekend so I guess I can let you guys know how that goes. I'm hoping I can get the whole thing documented cuz that would be great to put up on the net.

Mel

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
yeah, it sure would! Especially since those punks at SE-R.net dont do a damn thing anymore except update classifieds... which is like pulling teeth to get them to do!

·
_______
3,640 Posts
If its going to cost more than $500 to get it done just upgrade the trans to a 95+ unit and be done with it.

Mike

·
Registered
466 Posts
Ok this is off topic, but Jason what do you want to add to the site? If you have a good write up, please send it to me and I'll post it. I'm an editor, so I will do my best. Mel, if you replace 5th gear, please document it, and I'll see what I can do. Just because the site doesn't get updated, doesn't mean the editors are lazy. There is not much new in the SR20 world. If you want something added, please let me know.

eric

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will a 95+ tranny fit in a 93? I remember that there was something about some sensor not lining up correctly or a hole for a sensor not being the right size. Anyone? What about the VLSD (for a tranny from an even later car w/o it)? Is that inside the tranmission or separate?

·
Registered
466 Posts
The tranny from a '95+ car will fit in an earlier car. The difference is a sensor on the front of the trany on the '95 and later that is not on the earlier ones. The speedo sensor has to be changed if you have a cable. I can't remember if the '93s are mechanical or electrical. I believe John Heer has all this on his web site. And I think Jay Stewart does too. Good luck Pat.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Yes the 95+ will work. Same axles etc. You will need to swap out the electrinic speedo with you mechanical one. and you will have one unused sensor hold in the fron of the tranny. Just plug it up and your all set.

Mike

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
COOL! Ok, I'll send you a write up via email this weekend!

Thanks,
J

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
I hope I wasnt too harsh up there; I didnt realize any SE-R.net related people were here.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info Eric and Mike. I'll start looking at some options next week. The problem is just finding an SE-R tranny.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Where are you located? I know of some place on the east coast. Actually I know of some poeple that got 95+ trannys for cheap around here.

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts