SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've had my tranny out, ES front control arm bushings installed, struts off several times, so I know I need one for my NX even though it goes pretty straight. I also disconnected my passenger side lateral links in the back to get the one piece aftermarket exhaust that was on the car off as well. So I know I need a 4 wheel alignment done. Local shop charges $79.50. They haggled me a little like "are you sure you want a 4 wheel?" as if that was abnormal or something. Anyways, is this an average price? Pretty spicy when coming from B14 rear beam axle land.

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE stock, slow, and for sale
93 NX2000 Quaife ATB diff, JWT clutch, SMC short shifter, front STB, front ES control arm bushings, JWT POP charger, B14 SE-R wheels as soon as I get my tire swappin' done

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
That's a shitload for a 4-wheel. I'm used to paying about $50

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Called around a little. Cheapest I found was $65. Most expensive was $98. Aren't there any relatively inexpensive alignment products out there?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
the place i go to does it for 60 bucks, which is the average price i believe.

------------------
White
92 Nx2000
Cone intake, 19* timing, bosal performance muffler, 2.25" custom cat-back

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Ben98SentraSE asked:
Local shop charges $79.50... Anyways, is this an average price?</font>
I pay about that amount to have mine done, but I'm picky - REAL picky.

I set the car up like it's going to be on the track, with track wheels/tires, pressures, seats/spare/jack/etc. removed, proper load of fuel, and me in it.

The shop I use (which happens to be the local Nissan dealer, BTW) then aligns the thing *perfectly*, down to 0.1 degrees, for thrust angle, toe and camber on all four wheels, and caster on front wheels. I'm happy to pay it because they do a good job and always fit me in. The whole process usually takes them an hour to an hour and a half sometimes.

------------------
'91 Classic w/the usual stuff

"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yea i had a 4 wheel done since the toe on my left rear was way out. its uncommon on most cars since alot have went to a semi live axel like the b14's use. on a fully indepenent you have adjustment you can make so occasionaly its needed. I got my alignment done for around 50 i think. and a good shop will put you in the car after they get it done and see if it dramaticaly changes any of the settings.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
E-mail some local SCCA members on their opinions on local alignment shops.

Of course, if you have a special request, a green note can go a long way with the alignment man.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I set the car up like it's going to be on the track, with track wheels/tires, pressures, seats/spare/jack/etc. removed, proper load of fuel, and me in it.</font>
Best way to have it done IMHO. Your body weight will affect your suspension. Especially if you're big (5'11", 225lbs) like me.
There's a local alignment shop here in L.A. that uses the old school way. Chalk and measuring tape. Most of the SoCal-SERCA guys go there to have him set up their race cars. And the guy always aligns the car with you in it.
Of course we pay a little more than you guys do. The last time I had my NX done, I paid something like $75.00.

------------------
Thomas Fox
93 NX2000
SUBCULTURE'S 93 NX2000!

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
I agree that you get what you pay for here. The local shop does a very good alignment where they give you a print-out of the before and after settings. Including camber, caster, toe, SAI, Included Angle, Turning Angle Diff., and lateral offset. Hell they also include specs. for individual front and rear settings as well. I don;t know if this is normal, but I was impressed with the thoroughness of the shop. ALthough it doesn;t totally help you, because have aB14. I'm not entirely sure what is able to be adjusted on the B13 chassis cars. I did pay $45 for the front end alignment though.

Good luck!

late,
wes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts