SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my buddy has a Zex nitrous kit on his Saturn SC2. Im thinking of buying it from him for 400. Anybody else here have any experience with this on their car? I would definetly go the JWT way if I had the cash but with school and all I heard that this isn't a bad way to go. I only plan on running the 55 shot..the kit has jets for a 75 and 125 shot but don't think i'll be trying to run those. Also any suggestions on things I should do to prevent any major damage...I heard about going with colder plugs..should I back the timing down also? ?Thanks guys! Also what types of prices did you guys pay for you Aftermarket clutches? Im thinking of the ACT street/strip combo..but any other suggestions would be cool

------------------
Irwin 96 200sx SE-R (stock)

·
Registered
846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Soopastank:
Hey guys my buddy has a Zex nitrous kit on his Saturn SC2. Im thinking of buying it from him for 400. Anybody else here have any experience with this on their car? I would definetly go the JWT way if I had the cash but with school and all I heard that this isn't a bad way to go. I only plan on running the 55 shot..the kit has jets for a 75 and 125 shot but don't think i'll be trying to run those. Also any suggestions on things I should do to prevent any major damage...I heard about going with colder plugs..should I back the timing down also? ?Thanks guys! Also what types of prices did you guys pay for you Aftermarket clutches? Im thinking of the ACT street/strip combo..but any other suggestions would be cool

</font>

I don't know a lot about nitrous, but I know on Si's you have to retard the timing... so I would assume so with the SE-R. The main thing I've heard is that Nitrous is safe as long as you know what you're doing (sorta obvious I guess)... I'm just learning about it on clubsi... there may be some good information there for you and there should be plenty of people to ask for other Nitrous based web sites. Hope that helps...

btw, is your setup a dry or wet nitrous kit?

------------------
- Yosho
'96 200SX SE-R
'00 Civic Si EBP

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...if I remember correctly the Zex kit is a dry..for the fact that they don't have a seperate nozzle for fuel..but the kit does incorporate a hose that runs to the fuel pressure regulator and then to the main brain box of the Zex kit and supposedly it causes the fuel pressure to rise when running the nitrous...If this is the case that would be the best way to get the extra fuel there, instead of it spraying through the TB its being sprayed by the injectors. (right?)

------------------

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
See I have heard many people mention that "brain" in the Zex kit. Well My NOS setup runs solenoids that raise your fuel pressure. So I don't see the difference in the kits. One thing that you do want to do if you decide on running the Nitrous. Get a spare set of plugs. Preferrably NGK non plats. I don't know the exact part number. And you're going to want to retard your timing. What other mods do you have?

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im currently running Place CAI, Stillen 4-1, Greddy SP exhaust, and Advanced timing...

------------------

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
'Stank;

I've outlined a lot of my nitrous experiences in posts in the Classic Forum, but I'll give you a few ideas.
The spark plugs you want are NGK BKR6E-11, gapped at .030-.035 or so.
Your timing will need to be cut back, and each engine is somewhat different as to what it likes, doesn't like. The plugs are one step colder than the norm, and your car won't run very well with them in there when not on nitrous.
Read your plugs after every nitrous hit, or run on the dragstrip. Any brown specks mean detonation. Dial the timing back a degree or two, then repeat until the specks disappear.
My engine, at 75hp shot of nitrous, likes 15 degrees timing. YMMV.
Hope this helps. Feel free to email me with other nitrous questions. I am by no means an expert, but I've worked my way through this over the last year, so I have learned some things.

------------------
Greg P., '93 SE-R w/
148,000 miles, JWT
pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS
50--shot (direct port
installed, yet to run), Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4
mile, [email protected] 1/8
mile, 2.05 60-ft.
My SE-R page, with videos

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Serprise,

Thanks guy! I'll definitley E-mail you if I have any questions about the Nitrous....I gotta hurry up and decide what clutch I want so I can hurry up and see how she runs with the Nitrous....but yeah Thanks again..hey how much did you pay for you clutch and how do you like it?

------------------

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
'Stank;

My clutch is a ProActive unit, which will is supposed to handle a 100-shot of nitrous. I bought it last year for about $300 (if memory serves me correctly), paid $200 for the install (I watched the install, and it is a bitch -- you've been warned).
I LOVE the ProActive clutch, as I've made close to 100 dragstrip launches on it over the last year, and it just keeps grabbing. I launch at 5,500 rpm, by the way.
I just posted earlier that today my '93 set new records for itself: 8.95 @ 76mph in the 1/8 mile (about 13.8 in the 1/4 mile), 1.98-second 60 ft. time (which blows me away just thinking about it). This was with the 75-shot, timing at 16 degrees (your mileage may vary -- YMMV), on Nitto drag radials @ 14psi.
Any more questions, let me know
Gotta' use my new sig now...

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, JWT pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS direct-port 75hp, Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4
mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.
My SE-R page, with videos

1 - 8 of 8 Posts