SR20 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the rear squared away but what exactally do I need for the Front 5 lug conversion?
BTW I already got Front 300zx suspension here.(For the brakes) But can I use any of it?

THANKS!`

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
You need S14 spindles and S14 SE hubs iirc. There is a great faq on one of the 240 foums with a parts list. PM Shoes59 and see if he still has his extra set of S14 spindles for sale.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
paNX2K&SE-R said:
You need S14 spindles and S14 SE hubs iirc. There is a great faq on one of the 240 foums with a parts list. PM Shoes59 and see if he still has his extra set of S14 spindles for sale.
So the 300zx stuff it crap then?

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Not necessarily. You may be able to use that stuff but I don't know for sure. The Z has a very similar suspension setup to the S cars but I don't know if they are interchangable or not. I would look at the 240 forums and see if anyone has used that stuff before.

·
Registered
127 Posts
the owner/admin of this forum has the S14 from hub swap. pretty sure he said you need the upright, and ball joint. then theres an issue with the 2 bolts between the coilover and the upright, but you just need to a get a sleeve fab'ed to fix it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you want to go the easy way, and not search junkyards, and mabye spend a few more bucks, go with the gto 5 lug front hubs from jspec.com, or tougefactory.com...even sometimes on ebay. they usually go from between $350-500 shipped depending on availablitly, but they're direct replacements for the stock front hubs...oh yeah, and 300zx brakes bolt right up once you have the hub in place, all you need is the 300zx lines, you can get braided lines front and rear for around $130.

IF you're going to do the 5 lugs for the rear, all you need is 300zx non turbo rear hubs, or s14 se rear hubs...they bolt right up to the stock upright, and then you can redrill the rear discs, or get s14 se discs, they bolt right up as well to the s13 caliper.

I've heard that doing the rear 300zx twin piston setup is overkill, with 300zx front brakes, 300zx master cylinder, and stock rear discs and good pads all around, the braking is very balanced, and the fronts will always lock up just before the rear does with (which is what you want)...

And if you really want to have fun once you have the 5-lug setup taken care of, throw some 12.5" vr-4 2 piece rotors on the front, with these adaptors http://ztuner.com/brakes.php and 300zx tt calipers, you'll have a better than gt-r setup.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NismoB13SE-R said:
If you want to go the easy way, and not search junkyards, and mabye spend a few more bucks, go with the gto 5 lug front hubs from jspec.com, or tougefactory.com...even sometimes on ebay. they usually go from between $350-500 shipped depending on availablitly, but they're direct replacements for the stock front hubs...oh yeah, and 300zx brakes bolt right up once you have the hub in place, all you need is the 300zx lines, you can get braided lines front and rear for around $130.
For $500 I can get it all new from the dealer!

NismoB13SE-R said:
IF you're going to do the 5 lugs for the rear, all you need is 300zx non turbo rear hubs, or s14 se rear hubs...they bolt right up to the stock upright, and then you can redrill the rear discs, or get s14 se discs, they bolt right up as well to the s13 caliper.
For the rear I got 300zx uprights. I heard all I need is 300zx Rear struts?

NismoB13SE-R said:
I've heard that doing the rear 300zx twin piston setup is overkill, with 300zx front brakes, 300zx master cylinder, and stock rear discs and good pads all around, the braking is very balanced, and the fronts will always lock up just before the rear does with (which is what you want)...
Ya but Im missing a rear caliper. Plus I got the front n rear setup for $275. I may as well. all I need now is the MC...

NismoB13SE-R said:
And if you really want to have fun once you have the 5-lug setup taken care of, throw some 12.5" vr-4 2 piece rotors on the front, with these adaptors http://ztuner.com/brakes.php and 300zx tt calipers, you'll have a better than gt-r setup.
What do you mean adapters? Wont those make my wheels stick out?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Haha..good luck finding all new equipment for a s14 from the dealer for under $500. At a junkyard you can get the setup for probably $300 but it's a bitch finding them in my area...And I like the idea of just pulling off the hub nut, taking off the old hub, and bolting on the new one...takes 15 minutes as opposed to a couple hours and then fabrication to get the strut holes right on the upright.

From what I've heard with 300zx uprights, you can run 300zx shocks, but it will have to be fabricated to fit the stock upper shock mounts...I believe that SCC did an editorial on the the install of the rear, and they just bolted on 300zx lower coilover sleeves/mounts to their s13 coilovers...which works well, but is spendy.

Those adaptors are for your calipers, they move them up from the stock uprights about an inch to be able to fit around the larger 2 piece vr4 rotors...you may need to get spacers to get them to fit seeing as 1.25 extra inches on a rotor is quite a bit as far as pushing wheel clearance. But check out that link to the guys site that fabs the bracket for the calipers...I'm going to run this setup because a 2 piece rotor setup is much better for heat dissipation than a 1 piece, and the extra rotational surface area also aids in cooling the rotors for more efficient braking..

Good luck with your install man, it sounds like you have everything pretty much ready to go...I will do the same once I complete my brake setup, and I'll document the install for everybody. I guess I just like doing things the easy way :D hehe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts