SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting my avenir motor back togethr and when I put the sprockets back where they go, i marked them with a pen. I dindt line up the gold mark with the grank sprocket or the darker links with the cam sprockets. I kno that there are 11 links between both indents. 11 if you count the space between the pins. Before I pu the chain tensioner in there was slack, after I put the chain tensioner in there was less slack but sitll a lot, about .5 - .76 inches of slack. When I would hand crank the motor, at certian points there wasnt any slack at all but when I would return to TDC that huge amount of slack was gone.

Any advice would help. What should i do

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
B14 Se-Rious said:
I was putting my avenir motor back togethr and when I put the sprockets back where they go, i marked them with a pen. I dindt line up the gold mark with the grank sprocket or the darker links with the cam sprockets. I kno that there are 11 links between both indents. 11 if you count the space between the pins. Before I pu the chain tensioner in there was slack, after I put the chain tensioner in there was less slack but sitll a lot, about .5 - .76 inches of slack. When I would hand crank the motor, at certian points there wasnt any slack at all but when I would return to TDC that huge amount of slack was gone.

Any advice would help. What should i do

So... just to recount events. There was no tensioner, there was slack, then you put the tensioner in, and turned the engine over, and now there is no slack?

Sounds normal ;)

·
Banned
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At TDC there is about .5 - .75 inchs of slack, dpeending what stroke the motor is on dpeneds how much slack. At times it got very tight no slack at all, but when I returned to TDC the slack was back.

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
Are the lifters all flat? when was the last time the engine saw oil pressure? I imagine if the lifters were all flat that the cams could jump back to where they were most comfortable? That is just a WAG so don't anyone jump on me for it ;)

When was the last time this engine ran? Did you bleed the lifters before you installed them?

·
PLAY MY HEAD, MONKEY!
9,943 Posts
With everything tightened up and the tensioner in place, turn the crank pulley back and forth just a little, it'll tighten up by itself.

·
Banned
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried that a few times because i was told the chain tensioner is a self tensioner, but it dint get better. The whole head was torqued to spec and the .5-.75 inch play is still there. Any other ideas, i really need answers quick.

·
GTI-R DONE
1,151 Posts
look at dave talkin like he knows whats up, lol good job

·
Banned
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bled all the lifters and i dont know when the last time the engine was ran, the motor is an w11 avenir , thats a pretty new motor.

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
is the timing chain tensioner released? You know how it has that arm with a hook that *should* pop off when it is installed? I have found if I install a tensioner in an engine that has a loose chain sometimes I have to help it (kick it loose with a screwdriver) but don't break the arm off and let it float around :)

david lau

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts
B14 Se-Rious said:
At TDC there is about .5 - .75 inchs of slack, dpeending what stroke the motor is on dpeneds how much slack. At times it got very tight no slack at all, but when I returned to TDC the slack was back.
I just installed an Avenir motor and know exactly what your talking about.

Don't stress, everything will be ok... I compared it to the stock motor and there was more slack at I believe TDC and BDC on the Avenir. The tensioner was released... we finally said screw it and finished putting it back together. I started it that night and have since logged 1500 miles on the highway and 300 on the track with no issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts