SR20 Forum banner

5th gear pop out.

2K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  510&SE-R 
#1 ·
I am thinking of buying a '93 SE-R and I was wondering if the 5th gear pop out thing was prominate in the '93's. Or what year was it?

Thanks, shea

#3 ·
Actually, it's supposed to be '91-'93. Not too sure about '94. However, one of my friends with a '94 G20t with about 90k miles developed 5th gear pop-out. My NX has over 130k and has yet to get 5th gear pop-out. *knocks on wood* But they did make improvements to the tranny on the '95+ cars. So, supposedly, the B14, B15 and '95+ P10 and P11 are not affected by 5th gear pop-out.

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R
1993 NX2000

#4 ·
Thanks for the info.

I test drove it today and I told him about it(he didn't even know) and he said sometimes when you hit the gas you can feel it pull a bit but never popped out and I did the brake trick and everyting and no pop-out. Don;t all cars shift knobs pull a little when you hit the gas. I know mine does now. Thanks again.

#5 ·
I have a 95 200sx ser

RollcageSR20 said:
Actually, it's supposed to be '91-'93. Not too sure about '94. However, one of my friends with a '94 G20t with about 90k miles developed 5th gear pop-out. My NX has over 130k and has yet to get 5th gear pop-out. *knocks on wood* But they did make improvements to the tranny on the '95+ cars. So, supposedly, the B14, B15 and '95+ P10 and P11 are not affected by 5th gear pop-out.

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R
1993 NX2000
Hey I dont know if that 95 thing is all true or not, buecasue I just recently bought a '95 200sx ser about 3 weeks ago and the fifth gear dosent want to go in sometimes, and when I go to put it in it just like grinds. I dont know if it has something to do with the tranny, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel or what, or if my 5 gear is about to do the whole pop out thing. I know in order for me to put it into 5th I have to barley put down the clutch and then slam the stick into 5th, but even then it dosent want to go in somtimes. I dont think that the guy replaced tranny. The car's got 180000 miles on it so I dont know. If any of you Know what the problem is let me know.

#14 ·
I don't have this problem :D

#16 ·
My '93 had the 5th gear pop-out fixed under Super Extend-O Warranty at 56K. I paid a $25 deductible on a $1,500.00 dollar repair :eek: .

My '93 started popping out again at 150K and got fixed at 158K. Do not even ask what a reputable tranny shop asks to fix the tranny. I had it done prior to finding this forum :( .

I could have bought a pre-converted P11 (right?) from Andreas, had it shipped and installed. And my entire suspension would already be done with the left-over funds. LOL. Complete insanity coupled with ignorance, or total dedication and love for my Classic, I'm not sure which.

Moral: If you (and/or buddies) can't buy the parts and fix it yourself, buy a used one from a reputable forum member or shop.

IIRC, used/rebuilt B13 lsd trannies on the forum run $250 or so up to $600, depending on condition and who may have done the rebuild. The P11's run $450-600 at a junkyard, and you have to convert them from hydraulic to cable actuation (I believe there is a sticky on this). You can buy a preconverted P11 from Andreas Miko (one source at least) for about $900'ish, last time I searched.

.02 cents

#18 ·
I just bought the Courtesy kit to fix the popout before it happens. My trans blew up (cracked the case) and i DONT want to pull it again. I know for a fact that if I put it back in with the new case, it will pop out of 5th. Story of my life! Fix things 2x or more...

Is it all that difficult to do at home? Or is this something i should leave to a good tranny shop?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.