SR20 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've recently come across a vz-r 16ve+t that has a 5th injector setup. Now the problem is, after googling for a while now i still dont know exactly how or what it is used for. what are the pro's and con's and are they reliable, would anyone with experience in the turbo world recommend purchasing a vehicle with it?

thanks for the help guys, i did try to use the search function and even looked in faq's but nothing popped out to me.

cheers,

Brad

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The only time I've seen 5th injectors is on toyotas. They were for cold starting. I bet that's what this one is for.

·
SLOW SE-R
110 Posts
Chrysler LeBaron. Dodge Omni. New Yorker.

·
SLOW SE-R
110 Posts
The turbo models. I don't know much about them so that is all I wrote.

·
Registered
117 Posts
A fried of mine used a 5th injector set-up on his 1000cc motorcycle engine in his mini-sprint car. His was positioned at the air inlet to the airbox over his four individual-runner throttle bodies and at high RPM (above 9500) it would provide additional fuel because the duty cycle of the injectors in the fuel rail could not keep up with the demand (alcohol). Made the thing really pull on the end of the straight.

I doubt that this is why your intake has a 5th injector but just wanted to share to give you some things to think about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so its not at all something that should be frowned upon? i've noticed there are a few people who have nothing nice to say about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
some street racer kid that came to test drive one of my cars was telling me they run 5th injectors. he said they mount it right on the intake manifold and spray it in like nos so they get extra fuel. mind you this was a n/a honda he was talking about.... sounded like a lot of bs..... why not just put bigger injectors in.

·
Nissan Gazelle (S12)
9 Posts
In the bad old days 5th injectors were used (as Rob E said) to compensate for maxed out injector duty cycle. It is a crude method not used any more as now you can easily get bigger injectors. There is a cold start injector that could potentially be used in the same way, but again a crude method of overcoming a problem better solved with the right injectors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the bad old days 5th injectors were used (as Rob E said) to compensate for maxed out injector duty cycle. It is a crude method not used any more as now you can easily get bigger injectors. There is a cold start injector that could potentially be used in the same way, but again a crude method of overcoming a problem better solved with the right injectors.

thanks mate thats pretty much what i needed to know. thanks heaps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts