SR20 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Racing Spirit Project Silvia
heavythrottle
R390 Sports

You can expect to pay about 5 grand for a complete setup. I believe you will need the rear diff with it. I have heard (but not confirmed) that the speed sensor reads off of the rear end. I would do lots of research on this before you purchase. I also hear that the wiring is a little different. Good luck and keep us posted. :D

·
Registered
249 Posts
IMOA said:
There's really not much point. The S14 motor is the same as the S15 and the six speed is, well, pretty avergae. Not as strong as the 5 speed and whines like a banshee.
Ok well there are lots of minor differences. Turbo specs are different, bigger injectors, better oiling. All this and about 25 more horses. 6 speed is a little weaker from what I hear. I suspect that it may handle decent power and as long as you don't beat on it real hard it should do ok. For a daily. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Difference in power is basically due to the factory 3" exhaust (jdm only) and a bit more boost. Yep, it has bigger injectors but all else is the same. The difference in turbo specs are for all intents and purposes irrelevant.

The six speed is considered to be very poor, a lot of people needing replacement syncros or full replacements after only a few thousand miles, these are standard cars.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I believe it's the S14, difference to the S13 is the VVT and intake manifold (as well as bigger injectors etc). That said, I ripped off the VVT and put on vernier gears, this worked better than the VVT once the car was modified a bit. If you're keen for the six speed you can always bolt one of these to the S14 motor, I believe you can also bolt this to the S13 motor. I'd be wary though as if you blow syncros you'll be in for a long wait, at least we have the parts at hand.

·
Registered
249 Posts
IMOA said:
Difference in power is basically due to the factory 3" exhaust (jdm only) and a bit more boost. Yep, it has bigger injectors but all else is the same. The difference in turbo specs are for all intents and purposes irrelevant.

True but those are real differences that may matter to him. May not to you but that is your opinion. Depends on what he want's out of it. :D

Oh and it does have improved oiling. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fair call

Though the big difference is the exhaust and the injectors. Exhaust he won't be getting and at and those injectors would be the most expensive 60cc upgrade ever ;)

I haven't see anything on the improved oiling, what exactly changed?

·
Registered
249 Posts
IMOA said:
Fair call

Though the big difference is the exhaust and the injectors. Exhaust he won't be getting and at and those injectors would be the most expensive 60cc upgrade ever ;)

I haven't see anything on the improved oiling, what exactly changed?
The bearings and I believe the passages are different. maybe I am thinking different from my redtop. Can't remember exactly. Will get back with you on the improvements. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes i would have loved to have a S15 engine but apparently syncros blow on that thing really fast. so im just gonna get myself a S14 engine. for the difference in price the S15 engine isnt worth it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Syncro's are in the tranny and have nothing to do with the motor. Also there are tranny upgrades from companies that may help strengthen the 6 speed. Just something to think about. But I agree with ya the S15 is still not worth it. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
All S14's came with a T28, in japan they were BB and in other markets they weren't. All S15's a BB.

For the export market the series 1 S14's had 380cc injectors, series 2 were 420. I can't imagine this was different for JDM as they've never run different injector sizes before.

As has been said the S15 6 speed will bolt up to the S14, if you really want the six speed then this is an option. I'd save my money though, they bit you _reeally_ want off the S15 is the diff, S14 diffs are crap (I'm 99% sure you get the same diff in the 240 as we do in the silvia) and the S15 diff is a stunner.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts