SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what MPH 3rd gear topped out at. I want to keep the car in third the whole way down the track and I know the speedo in the car is off by a little bit. I think it reads something in the neighboorhood of 97-98mph. If that is correct then I will keep it there, I dont want to hit the rev limiter though. Thanks

Mark Merliss
97 SR20 SE-R

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
[I want to keep the car in third the whole way down the track and I know the speedo in the car is off by a little bit. I think it reads something in the neighboorhood of 97-98mph.

That sounds about right, but I believe you are better off shifting into 4th gear, If i remember correctly, this gives you the best times... Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

G

·
0 Posts
I researched this on the se-r archives. According to many folks who know more than I, N/A you want to stay in third, forced induction you want to shift to 4th. Last two times I've been to the track, even though my car wasn't running right I stayed in 3rd and got my best trap speeds. I shifted into 4th and lost 2mph on the traps and like 2/10 on the et.

Art
mods: yes

-Art

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I know I can do 92 in 3rd gear stock.
Its cutting it VERY close though.
I have hit the revvy before while doing this, but I regrouped and proceeded to kick Neon butt.

------------------

http://94_redse-r.tripod.com/FASTSER/

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When my black car was stock, I kept it in third and hit the rev limiter every time. I did that twice and then I went into 4th every time after that. I lost the MPH but I didnt lose the E.T. . I am not sure why that is but this time around I dont want to hit the rev limiter. Thanks for the replies.

Mark Merliss
97 SR20 SE-R(papa smurf blue)

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SmoothDaddyFig:
I know I can do 92 in 3rd gear stock.
Its cutting it VERY close though.
I have hit the revvy before while doing this, but I regrouped and proceeded to kick Neon butt.
</font>
Wait, are you talking 92mph with the JWT ECU? I know the stock 7500rpms limit should put you at about 90mph in third.

·
Registered
415 Posts
3rd Gear Max Speeds:
JWT ECU = 93.6 MPH @ 7800 RPM
Stock ECU = 90 MPH @ 7500 RPM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
Wait, are you talking 92mph with the JWT ECU? I know the stock 7500rpms limit should put you at about 90mph in third. </font>

------------------
1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R (5-Speed Manual)
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake
STILLEN Performance Exhaust
Hotshot Racing Header
Kosei K1 Silver Racing Wheels
Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Tires

[This message has been edited by Chris93SER (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slow97ser:
Last two times I've been to the track, even though my car wasn't running right I stayed in 3rd and got my best trap speeds. I shifted into 4th and lost 2mph on the traps and like 2/10 on the et.</font>
hahaaa, that's allll going to change next time you go to the track Art. Expect 93-95mph traps.

Mark all you had to do was email me. <slap>

I've been down this road forever. In a B14 with a JWT ECU and not many mods you can hold it in third but it will smack the rev limter *right* at the traps and possibly a touch before. If you got mods your going into 4th like it or not, just powershift 4th and move your feet and hands like lightning. (And you KNOW I never recomend power shifting, but this is the one time I did do it)

FYI with the stock ECU I was in 4th for the [email protected] run.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Your speeds sound *about* right. I know that, before nitrous, I'd go through the lights in third gear, then bounce off the rev limiter about 5 feet past the last light.

Once nitrous was installed, it was fourth gear the last 150-200 feet of the track.

I would think that going to fourth might help e.t. but not mph, as mentioned above. But what do I know.

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, JWT pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS direct-port 75hp, Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

1 - 9 of 9 Posts