SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys - this may have been discussed previously in some other forum or group. In case it has, please indulge me and contribute to this topic here on this cool board.

Goal: Build an 8 second SR powered car for national import competition.

Now, with that out of the way, I'd like to know your guys' thoughts. What would you consider more important? FWD configuration to go toe-to-toe with the H-Camp? And/Or would RWD configuration negate the prestige or not be as prestigious - assuming 8 second ET's were attained with this car in either form?

Could we discuss this without any scoff - I'm serious about this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Well... 8 second ETs are much more impressive in a FWD car than a RWD. But seeing any SR20 run down the 1/4 mile that fast would be cool.

There are a few low 10 sec Sentra's in national series I believe. 9 sec seems right around the corner, in fact a car in Florida ran 9s before being shipped out of the country.

Go for it.

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
Registered
782 Posts
Get a 1991-93 240SX Coupe, tube framed, built RWD SR20DET (psitons & rods), T66 or T76 turbo, Stand alone system, 96 lb/hr injectors, 3" down pipe, water-air intercooler, NOS Direct Port, worked SR20DET Tranny (300ZXTT internals in SR20DET housing), ported & polished head (valves, springs, retainers, cams), and a ton of other misc. items!

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1497569&a=11327630

Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
349.6 hp & 301.4 ft/lb @ 19 psi, 13.6 @ 111 mph(Street Tires),12.0 @ 118.77 mph(Slicks), Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (7-9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Sumitomo 205/40/ZR17 Tires (Street), 13x7.5 White Lenso VPD's w/ Mickey Thompson 24.5x8x13 Slicks(Drag)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, I would guess, that if you wanted a good shot at this, you would have no choice but to go with some crazy tube chassis. As far as RWD vs FWD, it would be easier with RWD, and it has been done before by JUN. So I would personally like to see it done FWD style. Hope you got mad B0n3z yo!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yup I'd like to see an SE-R knock Kubo out of her place. It would be awesome to have an SE-R up in the quickest 3 though. I'm pretty sure it can be done but no one really seems to have the cash flow or interest in going all out and doing it. You guys wanna start pitching in money?

Mel

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
Well I know How to do it but I do not have the cash flow If we could get Enough people with SE-Rs to pitch in I would be willing to start a project of this nature. I Know I could build a low 9 or high 8 sec car just need backing with the funds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dre -

It was nice talking to you on the phone - you're one INTENSE mofo, you definitely know your stuff.

Per your recommendation, I found a place that can build the chassis. Just got off the phone with MagnumForce.com.

They said they can build me a SFI 25.1C spec'd sub-7 second certified, complete 4130 chassis - basically ready for dropping in the motor and tranny. This will cost me 40-50K. I'll provide them a motor/tranny for them to build the chassis around.

I will be visiting them so that I can get the ball rolling.

[This message has been edited by SRturbo510nB14 (edited 06-21-2001).]

·
Registered
194 Posts
About how much money do you think it would be Andreas? Not that I'm made of cash but who knows? I might win the lotto sometime before today and sometime before hell freezes over.

Mel

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
SRTurbo510B14, you aren't by any chance the guy who bought Hassingers car are you? I was talking with Craig Damaschi the other day and he mentioned a possible plan you had for the motor if you are the one who bought his car. Good luck with building this fwd monster. We are all behind you.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

·
En mi barrio..
1,588 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bwilsor:
I'm pretty sure steph has hit 8's not is not consistent and Lisa Kubo is consistent in the low to mid 9's</font>
Steph ran a [email protected] in his tube frame Civic and Lisa ran a [email protected] in her unibody Civic. Chris Radeo ran a 8.9 in his semi tube frame Integra.

Are u planning on running a tube frame or unibody car? What kind of body are u trying to get? When u start running in the 9.8's and lower it leterally becomes all about suspention and traction.

Here's an even better idea, how about someone building an 10 second all-motor sr20 car. It can be done, but who will do it?

------------------

Aint nobody dope as me, i'm just so fresh and clean
paradiseracing.homestead.com/home.html

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ryan - yes. So Craig told you eh?
Not so sure if we'll be going that exact route (JUN).

B12 - the latest direction we're thinking is to go balls out with a full tube chassis RWD pro-built as mentioned above. I'm not opposed to FWD - but at the end of the day its lowest ET, second its gotta be Nissan powered. (notice I didn't mention SR?)

I think innovation is the key here - the best Nissan minds are at work on this one. (I'm not one of em... hehe)

Thanks to everyone today who gave their welcomed opinion - let's see how this goes. Here's to the journey...

·
Ironman
1,820 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SRturbo510nB14:
Okay guys - this may have been discussed previously in some other forum or group. In case it has, please indulge me and contribute to this topic here on this cool board.

Goal: Build an 8 second SR powered car for national import competition.
</font>
As I posted to the SoCal list....

If the goal is simply to build an 8 second SR pwoered car, then a well built RWD SR20DET installed in a Lotus 7 replica should get you there. *Super* light.

George Roffe

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
SRturbo510nB14:

I see you're thinking about the same things I think about. I've been drag racing a '93 SE-R for the last year or so, and have also been planning/scheming about going semi-big time with it. As you said, funding is the big part.

I *may* be able to get my car past the funding issue. I *may* be able to help you with it, as well.

My plans include the following: A SR20-powered attack on NHRA Street Tire/NIRA Power 4. Running low-11s, mid-10s gets us in the ballpark. All this on nitrous, no turbo. It can be done, according to the folks who know -- and there are a few who know.

I also have one other plan. Privately email me, and we can discuss this that way. I'd love to hear your thoughts. I think you'll like mine, as well.

Answer to your question: I think a RWD SR20-powered car can cut 8s-9s. FWD is such a difficult beast to launch consistently, it isn't even funny. Watch Kubo literally spin her way to third gear, before everything hooks up. It is a testament to her driving abilities that she can consistently run in the mid-low 9s.
Tube frame is mandatory. So are some other things. Turbo/nitrous, it's up to you.

Again, email me at: [email protected], and we'll take this up via e-mail.

------------------
Greg P., '93 SE-R w/
148,000 miles, JWT
pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS
50--shot (direct port
installed, yet to run), Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4
mile, [email protected] 1/8
mile, 2.05 60-ft.
My SE-R page, with videos

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here's my 2 cents. I agree with building a tube frame chassis for lightness, conversion to RWD would help much.

As for the motor, have JUN build it as was mentioned up top. Have them make a duplicate of the SR22 as used in the Hyper lemon Sylvia.

If you really want to hit the 8's, maybe 7's, then you'd have to consider something like Quaife's sequential transmission with user selected gear and final drive ratios. Or, this may be a crazy idea, how about a automatic 2 speed Powerglide?

For suspension duties, why not use a LEDA suspension system (leda.com). I think it's remotely adjustable from the driver's seat. Makes for quick track adjustments.

And of course, keep it all under a Sentra body.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've got a 92 just sitting in my garage that runs just need a front end for it.whats up i've been thinking about a DET for the car but I still play with my 91 to much..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well... 8 second ETs are much more impressive in a FWD car than a RWD.

So would your vote be cast for the FWD?

But seeing any SR20 run down the 1/4 mile that fast would be cool.

No doubt.

There are a few low 10 sec Sentra's in national series I believe. 9 sec seems right around the corner, in fact a car in Florida ran 9s before being shipped out of the country.

You're referring to the silver 200 that Andreas Miko built right? I would like to hear his thoughts on this. I'm sure a full tube framed car could knock of a second with that same powerplant.

Go for it.

I will - thanks for your support.

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
hmm...

for a 8 second front wheel drive, tube chassis is a MUST. a normal chassis has yet to be close to 8's. lisa ran a 9.2, but even she admitted she didn't expect it. the timing was right for that run, that's all.

getting back to my idea, i'd go tube chassied rear wheel drive. better yet, just import a pulsar in and pimp the hell out of it.

------------------

representing the plains with a slammed in door, but loud and fast, 1991 nissan sentra se-r, and now a sweet looking silver 1988 toyota celica gt-s with more show than go.

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
just a wet dream of a idea, but why not have a tube chassied sentra se-r? heck, it wouldn't be extremely hard, right? anyways, convert that thing to rear wheel drive (8 seconds is 8 seconds) and go from there?

------------------

representing the plains with a slammed in door, but loud and fast, 1991 nissan sentra se-r, and now a sweet looking silver 1988 toyota celica gt-s with more show than go.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I think physics comes into play when you go deep into the 9's and 8's. I can't remember any FWD cars in those numbers. They are RWD, like Craig's Supra, Adam's NSX, RJ's Focus (converted to RWD). If I am not thinking of a FWD that runs those times please chime in.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts