SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me their impressions between the two cams? Pros and cons? I am going with the '91-'93 intake cam for now and will possibly go with the JWT cams in the future. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will be receiving my S3 cams today. I should have them installed by the end of the week. I'll give my impressions when I finish the job.

Mike

·
Old
744 Posts
I was thinking of getting the JWT cams but since Marc already had the 91 SER cam(s) in there, I was wondering if it would be that much of a difference. If anyone is doing (or has done) anything like this I want to hear about it.

------------------
96 200SX SE-R
94 Sentra XE- for sale
pix

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Chrissy's on the SE-R board
! Sup girl... I just sent my money away to order 91s for my car... I was gonna do JWTs but I spent $85 on the 91s. If I gain 9hp like SCC says then that is the biggest bang for buck mod to date. Hey u can't buy JWTs anyway b/c you don't have any money... remember

------------------
Greg Taylor
Black 96 200SX SE-R
More info on my car

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by borguesian:
Chrissy's on the SE-R board
! Sup girl... I just sent my money away to order 91s for my car... I was gonna do JWTs but I spent $85 on the 91s. If I gain 9hp like SCC says then that is the biggest bang for buck mod to date. Hey u can't buy JWTs anyway b/c you don't have any money... remember

</font>
That 9hp gain shown on SCC Project Sentra SE-R's dyno chart is a bit on the optimistic side, though I believe both Eric and Ben have gained that much with the high-port intake cam. You also have to remember that they didn't gain 9hp by going to the high-port cam; they *lost* 9hp by going to the low-port cam. (Aren't I starting to sound like Naji? Hehe!) You see, they put a low-port cam into a high-port cylinder head for a best-guess approximation. Hell, I didn't gain much by going to the high-port intake cam on my low-port engine (unfortunately, I never got a baseline figure of my car to compare gains.)

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
so what your telling me is I could loose HP? or I wasted my $85???

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
wait wait... I am thinking here... I have a late model SR20DE. According to your letter(which I just read), I should gain some HP because in late model SR20DEs Nissan modified the head to keep with the 140hp rating even though they messed with the cams. So by adding earlier model cams(91-93) I should definetly gain HP, now whether I gain 9hp is a different story... BUT, I will gain HP. Am I thinking correctly now? Besides that, I really like your letter to SCC, it is well thought out and makes perfect sense. Thanks...

------------------
Greg Taylor
Black 96 200SX SE-R
More info on my car

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
so what your telling me is I could loose HP? or I wasted my $85???</font>
No... You'll gain HP, and it'll be $85 well spent. Okay... Let me spell it out for you.

High-port cylinder head: '91-'93 SE-R/NX/G20

Low-port cylinder head: '94-'99 SR20DE's

When I say they lost 9hp, I'm saying they lost 9hp by putting in the '98 intake cam in a '91 engine. That does not translate to a 9hp gain on a low-port engine with a high-port cam (with special exception to Eric and Ben.)

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000 (high-port)
1998 200SX SE-R (low-port)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
wait wait... I am thinking here... I have a late model SR20DE. According to your letter(which I just read), I should gain some HP because in late model SR20DEs Nissan modified the head to keep with the 140hp rating even though they messed with the cams. So by adding earlier model cams(91-93) I should definetly gain HP, now whether I gain 9hp is a different story... BUT, I will gain HP. Am I thinking correctly now? Besides that, I really like your letter to SCC, it is well thought out and makes perfect sense. Thanks...

</font>
You *WILL* gain horsepower, yes. But don't expect 9hp. That is on the high-side of expected gains. The number I kept seeing the most when looking through SE-R.net and the SE-R list archives was 6hp... So, it could be safe to say 6-9hp? Who knows... Bottom line: You will be happy with the high-port intake cam.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Thanks Andrew, you have been a BIG help. $85 for 6-9hp thats pretty F-in good! Im happy again
. Maybe this will cure my "Slow-ass 96 syndrome" problem...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Thanks Andrew, you have been a BIG help. $85 for 6-9hp thats pretty F-in good! Im happy again
. Maybe this will cure my "Slow-ass 96 syndrome" problem...
</font>
I've read that the high-port intake cam will cure the SA96 syndrome, and you could also speculate that the SA96 SR20's will see more gains than the other low-port SR20's due to the low power as a result of the SA96 syndrome. Eric's car is a '96 SE-R, and he gained 9hp from the high-port intake cam... Hmm... Did I just help increase that big grin?

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
But my fiancee's car is a '97.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, so BOTTOM LINE is that I will gain something, however much that may be, by putting a 91 intake cam into my otherwise stock 97 engine than leaving the 97 intake cam in there, right? Just trying to keep things simple. Thanks

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Yes you will gain something, about 6 hp. The S3 cams will give you about 12-14 hp. Which ones would you get?

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
Registered
727 Posts
This is my $.02.

I paid $90 for mine, its not in yet, but if I can get at least 5 HP from it and at the same time give me a reason to take the valve cover off to polish it, then that is $90 that I would gladly hand over as opposed to $500 for the over-rated name brand cams. All in all, something has to be better than whats in my 95 200SE-R! Who knows. I am enjoying the debate over the power gains however, so dont mind me!

------------------
95 200SX SE-R--> PR CAI, Cat Back, ST Shifter & Hotshot Headers, Viteks and Iridium, 17" Konig Tantrums wrapped in Nitto's, a bunch of stiffening and look good crap, & JWT CPU COMING SOON!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I want to thank all of you on your opinions. I'll go with the '91 cam for now. If and when finances permit I'll get the JWT cams. I'm sure when I do get them someone will want or need the '91 cams. What are the physical characteristics of the '91 cams compared to the post '91 to '93 cams? How can I tell the difference between them so I know what I'm getting?

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
The '91-'93 cam lobes are stubbier(sp?). If you compare it to yours, you will see what I mean. Other than that, you will have to measure it with a micrometer.

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I've read that the high-port intake cam will cure the SA96 syndrome, and you could also speculate that the SA96 SR20's will see more gains than the other low-port SR20's due to the low power as a result of the SA96 syndrome. Eric's car is a '96 SE-R, and he gained 9hp from the high-port intake cam... Hmm... Did I just help increase that big grin?</font>
HELL YEAH!!!
--->

------------------
Greg Taylor
Black 96 200SX SE-R
More info on my car

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi guys,

I would like to add that some JDM cams are even more aggressive than 91-93 cams. The lift is higher in some JDM engines, and that's generally good for extra 1-3 HPs.

As a side note, I have experienced 91-93, JDM, Tomei's, and S3. By far I like S3 the most. I didn't try out 94+ cams though. Here are my impressions:

91-93 cams, umm...stock feeling.
JDM cams, definitely pulling much much harder. But this is my feeling from my JDM engine, so it's probably healthier in general.

Tomei cams, it will be best bang for the buck if you can find them used. I got 141.9 WHP out of them (Dave Coleman's article also states the same number ~ 141WHP with basic bolt-ons.) The bottom end and mid-range is very strong. They pulled hard from the traffic light. However, the top end is not comparable to the S3's.

S3 cams, got this set from Dr. Naji. (thanks!) They will be tested on the next dynoday in LA. But I can feel that the car loses power abit in the range below 4200 RPM (compared to the Tomeis) But the car pulls really strong above 5000RPM and just keeps pulling.

Booniewillow

PS: Last but not least, the Tomeis are forsale. They are the very set Dave Coleman used in the SCC Shootout. After the shootout, they have been used for about 4 months. I will consider any serious offers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts