SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is the difference b\w the 91-94 and 95+ engine other than high port low port? Are we talking like emissions? Has anyone dropped a 91-94 engine into a 95+ car? Did you have to try around with the check engine light on. We've been told repeatedly that a 91-94 engine is around 400 and a 95+ engine is 900. So our optionsr are
  • putting in a 91-94 engine
  • changing out the short block (not preferred)
  • picking up an engine from Houston when dad goes on a business trip.
So if someone could explain the exact differences between the 91-94 and 95+ engines I would be grateful. I am aware of the same year engine or newer law, but not fully understanding. If someone has some more info about that, I would be grateful
TIA

------------------
1995 200SX SE-R

Hydrolocked SR20DE that had PR CAI | ACT Disc & PP | ES MM | Pro-Kits |
17* timing | Courtesy Front STB | Courtesy B-pipe in garage | AGX's in garage

·
Registered
466 Posts
You can put a '91-'93 motor in your car with no problems. Reuse your old sensors, and all will be fine. The lower redline is all in the ECU programming. The '95-'99 motors can rev up to 7800 with 0 issues. The '94 motor is identical to the '95+ motor except for the OBD2 stuff. If you got a '94 motor, it would be the same as the one you have now. IMO the '91-'93 motors have more low end torque, but lose it up high.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

G

·
0 Posts
The outside of the tranny is different, so make sure you keep the tranny's connected to the proper engine. The ignition is different as far as a coil. In fact, the ignitions changed mid '96, so there's also a pre-'96 1/2 and a post '96 1/2. When I say ignition, I mean cap and rotor.

Of course there's the different intake manifolds, emissions equipment. The '91-'93 1/2 have tighter tolerances in emissions. There's the whole OBD thing. Everyone knows the intake cam changed between the engines. The AIV tube in lower primary is gone on the recent ones.

As mentioned before, it will swap with ease. Just make sure everyting is there. Also, if you have an aftermarket header for your '91-'93 1/2, that you get a plug for the AIV fitting in the lower portion.

Good luck.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if i were to order a 94 engine I'd have to use the 94 tranny? I think I was informed it came with the ignition.
Could different lower and upper ends be due to gearing? did it change any?
If I drop a pre-95 engine will i have to drive around with the MIL (check engine light) on?
Newest update I have, makes it look like I will be driving 3rd in July.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Toddles82:
So if i were to order a 94 engine I'd have to use the 94 tranny? </font>
No. You can use any 91-01 Engine with any tranny from 91-01. Example: '00 SR20 w/91 tranny in B13 and B14 will work. Not B15. Now, keep in mind that the tranny might not work in your car... Example: A G20 tranny won't fit a B13, B14, or B15 without the use of custom axles; a '98-99 tranny will work in any B13 and B14 if you use the '98-99 axles too; a '91-97 VLSD tranny will work in a '98-99 B14 if you use the '91-97 axles; and as far as I know, a B15 tranny will only work in the B15. Whew!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Could different lower and upper ends be due to gearing? did it change any?</font>
No.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If I drop a pre-95 engine will i have to drive around with the MIL (check engine light) on?</font>
Not if the swap is done right.

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

[This message has been edited by nsracer (edited 06-26-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
There are slight differences in between the '91-'93 1/2 trannys and the newer ones. When I said differences, I didn't mean gearing, though it may be possible, but doubt it. The trannys have dissimilar "bolt patterns" if you will. The swap SHOULD work, it's just that they have the dissimilar patterns. They should bolt together with ease. For some reason, they have extra "holes" or lack there of. If you have the extra couple bucks, just buy it as a whole. I know over here, it only costs an extra $300 for the tranny, and wouldn't cost any extra for installation. But if you're going to drop in an aftermarket clutch or flywheel, it would be a tough call. It all comes back to the saying, "it's up to you, it's your car."

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Right, but the difference would only be in the shape of the case (and even that's very similar). The bolt patterns are the same (give or take a few holes) because the casting of the block remained the same from '91-99 and maybe even into the '00-01 SR20; this is why one can use any '91-99 head on any '91-99 block. The swap WILL work. I know of two cars that ran '00 SR20s; 1 (B13) with a '92 tranny and 1 (B14) with a '96 tranny. And my roomate is running a '93 SR20 (that was previously in a '96 200SX) with the '96 tranny and axles in his '94. Damn, so many damn numbers

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

G

·
0 Posts
Never had a free post before!
------------------
Wheel gap is the enemy. "Silver" 2001 SE w/perf.pkg, PR CAI, Intrax.

[This message has been edited by audio1der (edited 06-27-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts