SR20 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike G,

You need BOTH axles from the previous car or just the driver's side?

Did you get an earlier tranny? If so, did you have to adapt the electronic speedo for the mechanical one?

Need lotsa details please

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I think you have to use a 95-97 200SX SE-R tranny and *both* axles. No need to adjust speedo stuff.

I'd like a list of all parts Mike needed, including seals or whatnot. I have the posts saved somewhere in my inbox, but as there is over a month of unread messages... so I'm probably not going to be able to find it.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also Mike-

Can't remember if you swapped the tranny before or during your DET swap. In any case, what are your impressions? If you did it along with the DET I know it would be harder to tell, but try to explain

·
_______
3,640 Posts
You need both axles,trans(I have a 96 trans w/26k on it),both axle seals, and a new Through out bearing.

I did the swap before the DET.
You know what this feels like:
Before:
It sucked to drive in the rain(one tire would spin like crazy and I would usually start to drift pretty bad)

Pulling out of turns was a PITA under WOT the inside tire would just spinn like crazy.

After:
Driving in the rain is much improved. The car grips better and I get less spin. Its also easyer to keep the car straight while its spinning because both tires are going at the same speed.

Pulling out of turns is the **** now! Instead of spinning like mad on the inside tire the car just hooks up and jets. You definatly get better traction powering out of corners.

Straight line dry conditions are good also like I said earlyer its easyer to keep the car straight because you have both tires spinning instead of one.

YYYOOOO!
Mike

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Oh ya I forgot you want a 95+ trans(5th gear pop out
) and the earlyer 94- trans don't have the sensor on the front of the casing(I don't know what its for).

All the sensor plugs fit rite in the 95+ trans. I used all my 98 sensors,spedo,reverse,and what ever the hell else is on it in the 95 trans.

Mike

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
question on the through-out bearing (I have never done transmission work (yet)).

I have an ACT clutch in the basement which has a new pilot bearing and release bearing. Is one of these the throw-out bearing or is that a different part?

Are there ANY differences from the 98 FSM procedure for re-installs? I have a lot of posts saved that I will use for the tranny swap/clutch job eventually, but I was wondering if anything in my 99 FSM wont apply.

I think the sensor on the front is the crankshaft position sensor which is used to detect misfires.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
I'm pretty sure the release bearing is the TOB.

And the procedure is the same as in the 98 FSM. All is the same.

Spell check rocks!

G

·
yes they are one in the same.

------------------
MarC

96 w/ very little stuff
AIM SER96MarC

[This message has been edited by ser_200sx (edited 12-10-2000).]

·
Registered
3,793 Posts