SR20 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently live in missouri where the speed limit on most highways is 65 to 70 so im driving 70-80 most of the time and the tach is at 3500 at 75 and almost 4000 when im at 80 is this bad for the engine for a long period of time to travel? The reason I ask is because Im thinking of getting a 240 to hopefully bring the rpms down and have rwd but dont get me wrong I love the nx but I think it revs to high and everywhere I drive is almost an hour away because Im in a seculed area. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
180 Posts
it's fine ;) thats the cruising rpm's for a lot of cars and stock redline is way past that so you're cool. If people here can turbo charge an sr at over 150,000 miles and still have it go strong after taking daily beatings, highway cruising is a piece of cake.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Its completely healthy to stay between 4k-5k all day and night. Our cars are built for it. Nothing like maintaining 85-95 for hundreds of miles with a big pack of cars on the highway. ;)

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
NissanPower305 said:
I currently live in missouri where the speed limit on most highways is 65 to 70 so im driving 70-80 most of the time and the tach is at 3500 at 75 and almost 4000 when im at 80 is this bad for the engine for a long period of time to travel? The reason I ask is because Im thinking of getting a 240 to hopefully bring the rpms down and have rwd but dont get me wrong I love the nx but I think it revs to high and everywhere I drive is almost an hour away because Im in a seculed area. What do you guys think?
It would only be bad if:
1. you don't have enough oil in the engine
2. you having detonation in due to cheap, piss poor gas or advanced timing.

Otherwise, it should be no problem at all. In fact, I've driven from SA, TX to Naples, FL to Atlanta, GA to Pensacola, FL back to SA, TX and had no engine issues whatsoever. :D (That in addition to the countless road trips I've taken to and from Houston(3hrs) and Dallas(4hrs).

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aight Thanx guys I appreciate all your replys. The reason I was wondering about is because Im trying to get a newer nx but I was also thinking of getting a 240 instead to build that up because I thought the rpms would be lower. I honestly want both Its too hard for me to choose one over the other so Im thinking get a newer nx and do finish that up and then move on to a 240 bad ass sr20det swap.

·
Registered
180 Posts
NissanPower305 said:
Aight Thanx guys I appreciate all your replys. The reason I was wondering about is because Im trying to get a newer nx but I was also thinking of getting a 240 instead to build that up because I thought the rpms would be lower. I honestly want both Its too hard for me to choose one over the other so Im thinking get a newer nx and do finish that up and then move on to a 240 bad ass sr20det swap.
if you want a sr20 with lower cruising rpm's get a g20 because the gearing is longer

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how much of a diff? and u get a g20t tranny right?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ray RPMs dont really matter its piston speed- at highway speeds of 80-90 and in top gear you are way down in the green zone on any car except maybe some older small ones where that would be near (or past) redline. An old ford falcon for example might not want to go 80 at all, much less for 2000 miles.

The 240 mill has a longer stroke than the sr20 so it revs slower, but this does not mean it lasts longer cause the piston speed would come closer to the sr20's at same highway speed thant the mere revs would suggest

1 - 9 of 9 Posts