SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm concidering putting a deT in my 91 SE-R and i wanted to count the cost of it. I was curious if anyone had any idea what this would cost me with self installation and shop install? Also what kind of performance i could reasonably expect? Like HP rating and Torque. And would i need to do anything to the stock tranny other than an HP clutch?

[This message has been edited by MaxMerkel (edited 04-23-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Search around the forum as this is a real popular subject every where. As far as what I have seen, DETs run about $1,800 to $2,200. Install can run about $250 (cheap shop) to $600+. I questioned the $250 shop. Price was too low. Some thing was up. There are some shops that can make the the direct fire ignition work and others that need to find a Skyline Distributor to make the engine work. Then there is the ECU. It's a hell of a lot cheaper to get it done by a shop that has done quite a few. They know what goes where and how to get the engine. Be careful who you buy a clutch from. ACT has one of the best reps out there and I know from trying out a whole butch of crap clutches. If you find the money for a trany rebuild, get it cryoed. One Cryo (www.onecryo.com) in Orlando FL. is a great place to get it done. Don't do the Baulk rings though. Most of these DET blokes I meet run in the real low 14s and high 13s with the stock DET and street tires. South Florida has quite a few DET shops. Best of luck.

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
If you get a Bluebird DET then it wont have the direct fir ignition, it uses the same set up as a DET. The install itself is actually pretty simple and stright forward. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
Ive got a better solution for you, Why dont you just build a custom turbo kit for your 91 DETs are nice and all but its nothing like boosting the stock De with 9.5:1 comp, U can put together a way kick ass turbo kit for a decent price about 3 grand. As far as Clutches I recomend Hyper Clutch from Clutch specialties, I have used two of their clutches a stock upgrade with a 3000lb pressure plate and a 6 puck which I use now for my turbo App and it really kicks ass. As far as Trannys go they are the SE-Rs weak link, They break pretty easily I just broke my third gear so Im kinda sucking, It may be cryo treated, but thats not full proof and the quafie Gear set is not guaranteed either so Hey its all up to you. U can check out my 91 turbo build up at WWW.Geocities.com/yellow4g63/sr20det.htm If you need any help just email me or ask on here and Ill be sure to help you out. I dont know where you are located but
if you live in california you may want to hit up Sleeper Motorsports I highly recomend brian and his work he is great an sr20 genius if u ask me. You can locate them at Sleepermotorsport.com Hit him up if you dont want him to do the swap he can get you a killer deal on a det if thats what you want. Ok ive babbled on enough take it easy later.

------------------
Mike.
Turbo Classic, T3/T04e Tial 35mm ".65Bar" Blitz BOV, Custom piping griffen intercooler Core with HK$ EndTanks, custom manifold, 370cc injectors, paxton fpr, Super AFC Apexi, Greddy EGT, AutoMeter Boost Gauge, HK$ Turbo Timer, Blitz SBC, Eibach Sportlines , Haltec coming soon, full facelift coming soon. Full 180 Deg turn about to take place. Cars almost paid off you see :)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
When i did my install it cost around $4000 with everything, the gti-r, mounts, jwt ecu exhaust from the turbo back, and s-afc and some other stuff like the clutch...its definitely worth it...hey mike, for your front mount intercooler...did u have to cut away the reinforcement and who did ur piping also do u think its the Griffin is more efficient than mounting the gti-r intercooler in the front?

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SucKit:
When i did my install it cost around $4000 with everything, the gti-r, mounts, jwt ecu exhaust from the turbo back, and s-afc and some other stuff like the clutch...its definitely worth it...hey mike, for your front mount intercooler...did u have to cut away the reinforcement and who did ur piping also do u think its the Griffin is more efficient than mounting the gti-r intercooler in the front?</font>
Yes I cut the reinforcement of my bumper to fit that IC in, I did all the piping and intercooler myself, as far as a front mount being more efficient, that depends on the what size turbo you are using.Dont use a big Intercooler with a small turbo it wont work properly.My IC is 20x10 by 2.75 thats a lot of space to fill so match the IC to the turbo for better efficiency, thats just IMHO.

------------------
Mike.
Turbo Classic, T3/T04e Tial 35mm ".65Bar" Blitz BOV, Custom piping griffen intercooler Core with HK$ EndTanks, custom manifold, 370cc injectors, paxton fpr, Super AFC Apexi, Greddy EGT, AutoMeter Boost Gauge, HK$ Turbo Timer, Blitz SBC, Eibach Sportlines , Haltec coming soon, full facelift coming soon. Full 180 Deg turn about to take place. Cars almost paid off you see :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PSSSHHHGOESMYSR20,

Your web site is hilarious. I especially like: ...he later went on to say such words as...

GHB

·
En mi barrio..
1,588 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SucKit:
When i did my install it cost around $4000 with everything, the gti-r, mounts, jwt ecu exhaust from the turbo back, and s-afc and some other stuff like the clutch...</font>
SucKit, i've never seen your car in NYC. What color is your se-r? Do you roll with a crew?

------------------

paradiseracing.homestead.com/home.html

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Greg Bell:
PSSSHHHGOESMYSR20,

Your web site is hilarious. I especially like: ...he later went on to say such words as...

GHB
</font>
Thanks Greg, You see when I drilled the hole in the block the motor was till in the car so instead of getting a 90 deg Bit adapter I just removed the radiator and AC condensor, The radiator support bar is still there so I every time the drill caught my hand was forced into that bar ****IN hurt like a suma bitch. I later put a glove on and used some towels which I should have done in the first place. Doing that set up was no easy task but it was fun and I learned a lot.

------------------
Mike.
Turbo Classic, T3/T04e Tial 35mm ".65Bar" Blitz BOV, Custom piping griffen intercooler Core with HK$ EndTanks,custom manifold, 370cc injectors, paxton fpr, Eibach Sportlines, everything else was stolen,:( Pectel coming up bigger Injectors and custom fuel rail. DAMN VILLIANS.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
My car is around everywhere...i just met Henry the other day and we raced against each other...newayz my car is white and nah i dont roll with a crew but i chill with Full Throttle at times cause them and my bro did the install together...i was supposed to meet ur father Timothy one time but never got a chance.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I wish i could go but i have to work...newayz i could meet u netime in brooklyn...i live right by where ur father works...like 15mins from it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts