SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '97 SE-R really needs another starter. However, when I try to call around, most places don't carry it AND they want to know if my car is early or late production.

Would anyone have any advice? That damn starter is starting to drive me crazy...

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
your production date should not matter. I think nissan changed vendors, so that is why they are asking. I think they went from Mitsubishi to Hitachi iirc.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe that's it. There is a price difference but only by about 10 bucks. Appreciate the advice.

------------------
'97 200SX SE-R
Anyone else in Houston?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can hear the solenoid not getting out of the way at startup...**Loud Ass WHRRRRR**

------------------
'97 200SX SE-R
Anyone else in Houston?

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
LOL yea thats a common thing. Mine has been squeeling for the entire time Ive had the car, 2 years. George's has been doing it for 7 years now. If you dont like the sound you can change it. You have to change the manufacture, forget which is which. There is a mitsu and a hitachi which is which I forget. But you dont have to change it unless you are just tired of hearing the squeel.

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
I had to replace the starter on my 95/G20. The problem you will run into is the difference between the two remanufactured starters. If you buy a remanufactured one, and in most cases people get them remanned. Get the Mitsubishi. Most foreign parts stores will have on hand either the Hitachi or the Mitsubishi with no difference in price. And the sales clerk probably will not know why the starter is sold in two different
designs by two separate manufactures. Nissan sells the Mitsubishi remanned for around $250.00. I bought mine locally but try www.nissanparts.cc if you have the part#. The Hitachi was a recall from what the dealer says.

Nigel
95G20t/AUTO
Stillen/header/intake JWT/ecu/S3cams/ Greddy/MX exhaust

[This message has been edited by paradyme (edited 02-12-2001).]

·
Registered
883 Posts
Man, 250, what a rip. I got mine for 140, after the core was returned, from AutoZone. Thats with the limited lifetime warranty and all.

------------------
Kris94G20™

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got mine for $50, but that was with the nice extended warranty that I got when I bought the car. The dealer price for my new starter install was over $500! including labor.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm only changing it because I think it sounds like ********, and mostly in part that all the other wannabe racers in my apartment complex.....

"Oh, that Nissan sounds like ****...."

------------------
'97 200SX SE-R
Anyone else in Houston?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just did mine...here's the details.
The Hitachi unit is the one that is prone to noise. Reportedly there is an opening or something in the housing that lets the grease dry out and dirt in. The Mitsubishi one is the totally sealed unit and never makes a peep. I found a Mitsu. and just installed in on my '96. PITA, unless you plan on doing a clutch at the same time. i went ahead, bit the bullet, and put in a clutch, alum. flywheel, and the starter at the same sitting.
I now have a slightly noisy Hitachi starter if anyone is interested in buying it and remanufacturing it. It's not terribly noisy, just enough to not want to take anyone on a date.

Hope this helped,
Ryan
'96 SE-R w/ Hotshot Gen. 4 headers, GC coilovers, HKS catback, PR mounts, flywheel, clutch, blah, blah, blah...

[This message has been edited by SERvo (edited 02-14-2001).]

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yea I helped put one in on an Altima. Not a terrible job if you have two people. You do have to take out the intake box(if its not already gone) and the pipe to the TB then its pretty easy to see. But you have to have someone underneigh to hold it up and unhook it and stuff like that. Took the two of us like an hour to do his maybe.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SERvo:
It's not terribly noisy, just enough to not want to take anyone on a date.

Hope this helped,
Ryan
</font>
Exactly my problem. I think that it is sort of embarrassing, like having loose fan belts.

------------------
'97 200SX SE-R
Anyone else in Houston?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
or a $2000 body kit w/ stock exhaust

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Changed the starter this morning. It was a Mitsubishi reman. from Hi/Lo for $130. Presto! No more crappy startup noise.

Thanks for the help.....

------------------
'97 200SX SE-R
Racing Floormats
Oversized Muffler Belts
Ground Down Mirror Frames
RedLine Blinker Fluid
Sliding Rear Glass

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Johnny GreenBack:
You can hear the solenoid not getting out of the way at startup...**Loud Ass WHRRRRR**

</font>
I hear ya. My SE was 4 months old when it went through it's first Hitachi starter (under warranty) It squealed a lot, and once in a while the starter clutch would not let go.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, man....I couldn't happier now. I forgot how quiet the car starts up. Well, except for the exhaust...and intake....

------------------
'97 200SX SE-R

1 - 20 of 20 Posts