SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
suspenion will be front and rear strut bars, front and rear sway bars, traction bars, agx/gc setup with 300whp, my friend in his 20th gti challenged me on www.gingermanrace.com , whta do you guys htink, I told him hes got no chance. I forgot to meniton but ad22vf's brakes too.

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
Great course, power isn't a huge advantage there. It's hard on brakes. I passed a couple of 911s and an M roadster there, my friend in his race tired 911 got passed by a Saturn, so I'd say it depends on the driver.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Taking drivers out of the equation, you car will decimate his just based on the power to weight ratio. Do you have any idea what a GTi weighs? Those bishes are HEAVY! Not only are they heavy, but the suspensions are soft, soft, soft. I'm a long time VW fan, and my wife drives a 2003 VR6 GTi, so I know a little bit about it. As a daily driver it's sweet, but it'd take allot of modding to make it track worthy.

C

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
make sure your cooling system and brakes are up to snuff; I hope you have a upgraded radiator! Call Matt at Carbotech and get some brake pads. I've also heard gingerman is very hard on brakes from my days at Ford so the last thing you'll want is for your brakes to fade on you. Hey, if you need a driver, I'll go :) Oh yeah, make sure you alignment is correct.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
B14 Se-Rious said:
suspenion will be front and rear strut bars, front and rear sway bars, traction bars, agx/gc setup with 300whp, my friend in his 20th gti challenged me on www.gingermanrace.com , whta do you guys htink, I told him hes got no chance. I forgot to meniton but ad22vf's brakes too.
your tranny will blow up and you will loose. :(

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
choaderboy2 said:
your tranny will blow up and you will loose. :(
Hmm.... i just looked at the track map, mostly 3rd gear with two going into 4th from the looks of it, and maybe 2nd gear once or twice. Um, be easy on the shifts and pray it holds!

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
spdracerUT said:
make sure your cooling system and brakes are up to snuff; I hope you have a upgraded radiator! Call Matt at Carbotech and get some brake pads. I've also heard gingerman is very hard on brakes from my days at Ford so the last thing you'll want is for your brakes to fade on you. Hey, if you need a driver, I'll go :) Oh yeah, make sure you alignment is correct.
I say you let him drive!! ^^^

I think even if you go easy on your tranny and all, you will walk all over him.

Did you say his gti was stock? You should put money on it and say if anything breaks the bet is off. You will walk him in the straits, and outhandle him in the corners. Take a few practice laps to figure out your lines and the apexs. Good luck man!

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
Will said:
Take a few practice laps to figure out your lines and the apexs.
At Gingerman, think late. I beleive the place was designed to be a kart track. When we ran there our driver complained that most of the corners are slower than they look.

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
B14 Se-Rious said:
It will be both of our first times going to atrack like gingerman
Then you will both suck. Don't time anything, just go out and have fun. Get instructors. You'll both wreck your cars if you try and "race."

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
LMAO PLEASE go learn the course!!! It is a lapping day and if you are going to compare do it with lap times, not on the track! You will drive slower trying to hold him off or pass him than if you are just paying attention to the line.

As others have said, it is up to the driver. In my S2000 I was able to pass many people including some Porsche's, STI's, and modded EVO's. This was in a Stock S2000 with stret tires, nothing more than Motul and track pads. We were all in the beginner group as it was my first time there, however I had previous experience at other venue's. They all wondered why my car was faster than theirs. The key was that the car wasn't the driver was...

Seat time and a good instructor are KEY!

Some course notes, 5 and 6 is probably the most complex section with several different lines through it, take your instructor's advice as most people with a lot of seat time take it the same way. Turn 2 is also difficult to get right, you will jack this corner up ALL DAY, but when you get it right once you will wonder how you went so fast through it.... Khiem is right, mostly 3rd gear with 2nd being used into 1 and 3.

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
I've been there 4 times and -never- gotten 2 right.

Edit: gotten? what was I thinking? :rolleyes:

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
Driven97 said:
I've been there 4 times and -never- gotten 2 right.

Edit: gotten? what was I thinking? :rolleyes:
I totally agree with you. I have hit it what I think is right maybe 2-3 times TOPS. I was running 1:40 flats on laps where I hit no traffic, which is a pretty good time in a S2000 on street tires, but I STILL pooched 2 most of the time!

I rode with my friend Clayton in his built civic and I was SHOCKED at how much speed he carried through 2.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
on turn 2, are you guys double apexing it or just late apexing? from the map, looks like an increasing radius turn of sorts. More like the first half is the small radius, and second half a bigger but constant radius.

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
spdracerUT said:
on turn 2, are you guys double apexing it or just late apexing? from the map, looks like an increasing radius turn of sorts. More like the first half is the small radius, and second half a bigger but constant radius.
The map is really nothing like the real course. It looks similar but I have tried to disect it from the map and it is still tricky. I have a tendency to turn in a bit early, if I late apex I have a habit of carrying in too much speed and pushing out. I caryy a ton of speed through turn 1, perhaps I would be better off giving up a bit out of one to have a better/more focused entrance into two.

5/6 is the double apex. I basically turn into 5 and rive straight out like I am going to go off track and then turn in late on 6. You can carry soooo much speed going through that section it is sick when you do it right.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
um...you could probabily change your pads back in teh pits before your friend even finishes his lap. seriously a stock gti or vw anything isn't gonna hold a candle to you on a track. ever autox?? every freakin vw, no matter what mods, is up on three wheels and they're slow as hell. shift_slow_don't break anythign and youl'l win

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
MIXMASTAP2 said:
um...you could probabily change your pads back in teh pits before your friend even finishes his lap. seriously a stock gti or vw anything isn't gonna hold a candle to you on a track. ever autox?? every freakin vw, no matter what mods, is up on three wheels and they're slow as hell. shift_slow_don't break anythign and youl'l win
Never seen a properly build Scirocco or Rabbit huh?

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
wes said:
5/6 is the double apex. I basically turn into 5 and rive straight out like I am going to go off track and then turn in late on 6. You can carry soooo much speed going through that section it is sick when you do it right.
I learned the course riding in a nicely prepared 911. The driver insisted on making it one turn. My car and my roomie's Type R loved the two turn method.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If it's both your first time at the track, I'd put my money on the guy in the GTI, he's gonna school you. WHY??

The GTI will be so much easier to drive and much less likely to get himself into trouble. It is much, much easier to drive a SLOW car Fast than a Fast car Fast.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts