SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...Its starting to get warm around these parts, and my AC seems to have stopped working! :(

L'il green "ON" light works, but the compressor does not kick in - just the fan blows. Last I had it on (in the Winter to defog) it all worked fine.

I checked the fuse in the dash, and it was OK.

Do you think my compressor is shot, or is there a fuse or something I am overlooking that might be the cause of this?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
check your air blower resistor

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
i would check both things just to make sure gl

·
Is an SE-R/VE a VE-R?
2,262 Posts
Oliver has it. There are safety switches in there to keep the compressor from pumping air and ruining itself. Sounds like you have a leak big enough to bring the system to regular atmosphere. Chances are your compressor is still okay, but you're going to have to recharge with r12 ($$$$) unless you want to convert to r134a ($$).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually have a can of r-12 and can get more if needed. After searching a little more here, I don't think its the resistor as the fan works on all four speeds, just no AC.

Sounds like a recharge is in order! I didn't know that about the compressor safety, but it makes sense. I've never had it charged!

THANKS!!!

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
check your air blower resistor
Blower resistor won't affect that. If that's bad, the blower will not work on certain (or all) positions.

My guess is a slow leak somewhere, and you're too low on freon and that's why the compressor isn't turning on.

A quick way to check is just to see how much pressure is in the line, I think you need at least 15psi for it to turn on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quick update....

Turns out that there was pretty much nothing in the system, and so I added 2 cans of R-12.

Sure enough, the compressor kicked back on, and the air is nice and cold! This is the first time in 15 years I've charged the AC!

Anyway, thanks so much for the help! You guys saved me a trip to the shop! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts