SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of super white bulbs for my car like 2 months ago. I made sure they were the right wattage so i wouldn't fry the harness. However I'm driving back from vacation and it starts to rain and the suns going down so i turn my headlights on. I'm going down 95 in the pouring rain and realize my headlights aren't on. The only thing that lit the road were my fog lights and they barely made enough light to see the lines. Luckily i found a rest stop all the fuses were fine so i narrow it down to the low beams being out (my highs worked). I drove home for 2 hrs with my high beams on. And when I finally got home only one light was on. The passenger side high beam. So in conclusion NEVER NEVER Never under any circumstance buy different color bulbs!

G

·
0 Posts
Same thing happend to me. My question is, why? Why if we bought the right wattage bulbs, but they happen to be blue or superwhite or whatever, do they have this effect on our cars?

------------------
1999 SE Limited: JWT POP, NGK Wires, OBX Muffler 2.25" exhaust, Hotshot header, Eibach Sportlines, KYB AGX, 17 deg. timing
http://post.uwstout.edu/l/lilienthala/car.html

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had the same thing also, I got some plasma blue bulbs, and within 2-3 weeks, they burned out.

------------------
95 200SX SE-R Automatic (BIGFOOT), B15 engine, PR CAI, Topspeed muffler.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is there a possibility that you guys contaminated the bulb glass? If that happens then heat builds up on that one spot and the life of the bulb is shortened. I bought Sylvania Cool Blues a few months back and they are still good today. Before I installed them, they were wiped down with some alcohol. Nice white light also. Not bad for $10 each.

G

·
0 Posts
I HAD 80W/100W plazma whites on my car with no problems and no real benefits to tell you the truth. I imagine quality control comes into play with the bulbs. I have been told by a lot of shops that bulbs made in Taiwan are poor quality and often melts harnesses. Go with bulbs made in Japan or Korea. My Heliolites from Korea worked quite fine.

I'm using OEM 9007 bulbs now that I converted to crystal headlights. So much more useable light!!!

·
Registered
723 Posts
ya probably touched the bulb with your oily hands and that could've killed it.

norurb: how are the sylvanias? what do they look like? got pics?

·
95NismoB14grl
1,492 Posts
I've got 80/100watt purple HID's in my 91 classic with a $45 harness with two relays and i've never had a problem yet. I was frying the harness but with the new one its sweet..spend the 50 bux and get the harness..its worth it!!!!!

Tom
91 SE-R w/purple HID's

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
the sylvania cool blue's are nice. i had a set in my 200SX SE-R and they gave off a nice, brilliant white light.

------------------
Is that a honda? What is that silver thing?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I made absolutly sure that i didn't touch the glass. I have fallen victim before from the blubs literally bursting the the head light assembly on my last car.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another update, I bought foglight bulbs, to match, and one of them just went out on me.

·
Registered
846 Posts
What brand/model did you buy? I bought a pair of GE Super Blues when one of my stock ones finally died a few months ago... like the other's here, I haven't had any problems.

The GE's are "ok" but not great... I don't think they cast as much light as the stock bulbs... actually, most after market bulbs have been shown to cast less light the stockers. Sad but true... this includes bulbs from companies like Piaa.

------------------
- Yosho
'96 200SX SE-R
'00 Civic Si EBP

S

·
0 Posts
I ran into the same problem until i got tired of replacing burnt bulbs, I went to Autozone(local parts store) and bought "heavy duty 9004 plugs".(that's what they are called:confused
(help section). I gave them a try and never had the problem again. For some reason the stock plugs would burn the low beams and at one time even melted the plug. The one's I bought were blue and white.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts