SR20 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure we have all dealt with this one: your prized NX has all this ugly corrosion at the bottom of the A-Pillar. I brought mine to a body shop and they fixed while repainting the whole front end. It's been almost a year and no sign og any more rust, but I always worry I will look and there will be those nightmare-inducing corossion bubbles. It seem that water gets trapped in the bottom of the A-Pillar and has no choice but to rust the bottom out. Would it make sense to drill (ouch) a small hole in the bottom of the pillar, perhaps removing the door to get at a location that is not at all visible???

·
_______
2,170 Posts
If you've replaced them, and rustproof the car yearly, the replacements don't seem to rust through again.

I wouldn't drill a hole.

I had one replaced under warranty in 1997, it's still fine.

The other one was replaced last summer when the entire car was refinished. Naturally, it's still fine.

It's about $700 CDN per side to have them replaced.

If the cosmetic ugliness doesn't bother you, leave them until you see bubbling under the glass of the front windshield - then you know that's when you *have* to change them, because it's really spread.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Does the A-pillar come off as a unit and can be swapped out or does a new one have to be fabricated at a body shop?

Does anyone know where the actual entry point of the water is?

Steve

·
_______
2,170 Posts
It comes as a unit from Nissan, and you need to cut the pillar off partway up and weld the new piece in and smooth it out.

Some have speculated that the water comes in throught the t-tops, but that doesn't hold water (no pun intended) because my car has a solid roof.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I believe its coming in from somewhere along the A-pillar and about halfway down the length of the windshield. I took off my weatherstripping and trim during the Fall to repair some of this rust damage and found the screws along the side of the t-top had no rust. The screws along the A-pillar had some rust. I'm stumped but will look into it further when the weather warms up in a couple of months.

Steve
NJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts