SR20 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
a specific idle problem - more info

I have a S13 180SX SR20DET imported from Japan to Australia. My car started to idle at 1500 rpm a while back for no apparent reason. Crimping the hose to the auxiliary air valve (AAV) reduced the idle, indicating a problem with the valve. I replaced it and it has made no difference. At the moment I have inserted a restrictor orifice in the hose which keeps the idle at about 1000 when warm but this removes all the other valve functions - notably cold engine fast idle. What could be the cause of this? What signal drives the AAV - is it the throttle position sensor?

Other things I should say-

1. engine still has heaps of power - feels normal at WOT

2. there's a major flat spot just off idle - easing it off idle, the revs immediately go down before going up

3. timing is where it should be

4. I recently installed a Blitz intercooler and pod filter but the engine had been running fine, then this idle problem

I guess there must be a relay in the AAV circuit - does anyone know if there is, and where it may be?

·
Registered
647 Posts
did you just change the valve itself? maybe it's the hose thats clogged...not the valeve? i dunno just throwin the idea out there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts