SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I Keep It Unique
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah and you all thought I was crazy or somebody was pulling my leg HE HE HE! Yes you heard right they do make a FWD Blue Bird Tranny it comes off a U12 Blue Bird. I think thats the Japanese Stanza? Want some proof look here.

http://www.sssautomotive.com.au/Nissan.htm :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hey sorry I the type of person to point out things.... but... You didnt spell Camero right. lol you may wanna fix that soon.

·
_______
2,170 Posts
nismo200 said:
Hey sorry I the type of person to point out things.... but... You didnt spell Camero right. lol you may wanna fix that soon.
LOL! If you're correcting him, you should spell it right too.

Camaro.

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
sinistersntra91 said:
Yeah and you all thought I was crazy or somebody was pulling my leg HE HE HE! Yes you heard right they do make a FWD Blue Bird Tranny it comes off a U12 Blue Bird. I think thats the Japanese Stanza? Want some proof look here.

http://www.sssautomotive.com.au/Nissan.htm :D :D :D :D :D
Not to be an ass, but, don't believe everything you read!!

The U12 was first powered by the CA18DET and then in later production it was available with the SR20DET in AWD form via the Attessa AWD system.

There are NO (as in none at all) Front Engine Front wheel drive SR20DET powered production cars. There are All Wheel Drive and Rear Wheel Drive DET's only.
Motor companys do on the other hand offer the AWB 'Bluebird" DET as a FWD motor so that people see it, get interested, and buy the motors to install in their FWD car.
Both AWD Det's (BlueBird and GTiR) can be installed in FWD configuration, but you probably already knew that ;)
later

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
As nice as our cars are they don't hold a candle to the Camaro in looks, handling or performance. The only negative to a Camaro is their winter handling.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
keithert said:
As nice as our cars are they don't hold a candle to the Camaro in looks, handling or performance. The only negative to a Camaro is their winter handling.
and some reliability problems, but for the most part, they are trouble free

·
I Keep It Unique
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys how many camaros do you know that live around you that can do a 12.6 quarter mile not very many even if they could im willing to bet they couldnt do it without putting way more money under the hood then someone with the Blue Bird. Besides I dont remember the title of this thread being:
My Signature: Do you agree? Nope it was: A stock FWD BlueBird Engine!!!!!
Just trying to inform my fellow SR20DEforum Members (who really appreciate info like this and dont make fun of their signatures ) that you dont have to buy the tranny seperate from the engine because its cheaper to buy them together rather then seperate. Besides im talking about the ones on my side of town that are just stock run down old Camaros that aint ****.
.:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
Hey bud!
I don't really have to worry about trying not to make an ass out of you, do I?

You are going to do it all on your own ;)

DO your HOMEWORK....!!!

NO SR20DET's were ever produced in a FWD platform.

later

david

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
ha! looks? uhhmm....what kind of candle are you using? the 93-97 camaros look like whales and the new ones look like somebody designed the front without knowing what the rear looked like, and i dont EVEN want to begin on the firebird, ugh, tackier than most rice-mobiles.

handling? uhh, how do you figure? those damned things still use a live rear axle! not to mention the slightly hefty curb weight (understatement, 3500 friggin lbs!) the only F bodies that handle decently are the SS and WS6 models, and those punish the driver needlessly to do that, any more handing you may get out of those things WILL require a 2nd vehicle to keep from bouncing your kidneys outta your body. the V6 and base V8 models have 235/55R16 goodyear RSA (really suck ass) tires, and squishy suspensions.

1/4? yeah, well you got me there, stock vs stock, the F-bodies (V8 at least) hand us our collective lunches, but remember, those things cost anywhere from 2-12 grand more than our cars, new. and for 2 grand, you can get a turbo setup just like Ben's and run high 13s (just like newer F-bodies) and for 12 grand you could get at least 400 whp, if not closer to 500. or settle for a *measly* 300 whp for 5K, spend 2k on susp (motivationals 350F/300R, sway bars, STBs, bushings, N-Tech control arm brace) some 17s (700-2000 depending on your taste in wheels) and a stillen front lip (if you have a B14) some cool stereo stuff to blow that "Monsoon" sound system out of the water! all these things, when applied to a 2500lb car will create vette smoking performance for less money.

insurance is another thing that i dont even want to get started on. neither is gas mileage.

and good luck on reliability/maintenance. these are the most annoying cars in the world to work on. spark plugs are a 2 hour job, they use both standard AND metric bolts (read: stripped bolts) they have random electrical gremlins, poor build quality and more squeaks and rattles than a loaded garbage truck. plus, that massive plastic dash is enough to turn off the most die hard of bow-tie fans.

not to mention the fact that you drive a car made by the same company that brought us such fine motoring examples as the Caprice, Sunfire, 2000s, the new monte carlo (that ass has its own gravity well, its so huge) and lasty, the AZTEC!

now, i may have offended some General fans in here, but hey, prove me wrong, and i will gladly concede. :p

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
My Camaro was a 90. I think it was one of the best looking cars ever. Every time I see one I'm sorry I sold mine. For on-ramps and curvy roads it handled great. I used to say that you should be able to do twice the posted limit on most curves. My car was a TBI 305, so the NX is somewhat more powerful for the weight. However there is nothing like the low end grunt of a V-8. The realiability was the best of any car I have ever owned. In 128K all it needed was 2 starters and a couple of exhausts and brakes. At 128K the heater core puked, which was part of the reason we sold it. The insurance and gas mileage I have to agree with you on. When it was new though it did get 22 mpg around town. As it got older that went down to 17. My NX gets 25-27 mpg.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
My Camaro was a 90. I think it was one of the best looking cars ever
i'm not gonna touch that one with a 10' pole. i hear Pearl Vision is having a sale.

I used to say that you should be able to do twice the posted limit on most curves.
thats great. i could do that with my rental toyota crapolla with 175-70R14 ASS tires. with my Motivational susp, i like to triple the posted numbers.

In 128K all it needed was 2 starters and a couple of exhausts and brakes. At 128K the heater core puked, which was part of the reason we sold it
at 73,000 abused miles on my 98, i havent replaced anything.

some guys on here are breaking off camaros with 250+ thousand miles. hehe

but hey, im not gonna argue opinions, to every man his own right? :p

·
I Keep It Unique
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All i got to say is how easy is it to loosen any bolt on a camaro or any domestic? I bet its a real bitch but guess what i can loosen any bolt you pick on my car with no problem what so ever. How well did the body on that car hold up? My car hasnt rusted at all yet and my sunroof leaks everytime it rains imagine all the moisture constantly in my car. They are so much better than domestics yeah domestics can have alot of power ill give you that but at the same time they have ALOT of problems. Lets just put it this way my dad was a hardcore domestic fan until he stumbled upon imports especially my uncles 480hp 300zx TT. My dad built V8's and such but he said he has never ridden in anything as fast as that 300zx. He himself told me and hes not just saying this either that a sentra with the bb engine will take a camaro or mustang or whatever. Its all about the weight man think about take a light ass sentra with a light ass 4 cylinder bb engine and put it up against a lead sled like a camaro with a heavy ass v8 well you do the math its common sense man, think about this how can a 2 cylinder motorcycle beat any v8 you put it up against? Its all in the weight. We as americans invent **** the Japanese take that **** and sit around and perfect it as much as possible i mean why do you think they have all this advaned technology? they are probably years ahead of us, this is why when you have to take your car in the shop to be fixed its a small problem maybe one thing goes wrong and its a small price to pay to fix it butwhen something goes wrong with a domestic, hold on to your ass! this one problem leads to a whole string of other problems. Im not saying all are that way either just most and i also have to say as long as you take care of any car it will last you a long time. But tell me just how many domestics do you know that run with 200,000 miles or better and not loose much power bet you my little nissan will. So id rather take a import thats dependable and cost less money to maintain rather than a domestic which just creates bills. Besides i guarantee that to make a camaro do 12.6 in a 1/4 your gonna have to do some major engine work and there is no spec engine you can swap it with to get that kind of power and just think that is the power of a bb in a sentra with the bb being stock. i also know this yeah in the end i can only do so much with the 4 cylinder and the v8 can go farther in upgrades as far as power but i will guarantee you will spend almost double if not triple what i will just to beat it. Not to mention its more fun to scare the **** out of someone with a v8 by beating them with a little 4 cylinder!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
dont diss on the caprice, i always wanted a gold one, and i figured i could put a 5 speed in from a camero, and lower it, dual exhaust... but, ya know, i like the sound of blow off valves, and over head cams are cool to

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Sinistersntra91;

Don't talk about what you don't know about. I spent my youth drag racing small-block Camaros, and now I have an SE-R. Why? Not because of any inherent advantage the SE-R has, to be honest with you. It's because I bought the car new, and it's what I have to play with. It's paid for. And, it's a helluva' lot of fun.

Yes, a SE-R with a BB engine in it will probably run pretty close with a stock F-Body. The key word is 'stock'. Make the same mods to the F-body as you did to the SE-R (small turbo, bigger injectors, re-mapped ECU) and see what happens.

It would take "thousands of dollars to make a Camaro run 12.6"? Put the crack pipe down, please. Any year LS1 Camaro (take your pick) can *easily* click off that number with minimal -that's right, I said m-i-n-i-m-a-l -- modifications. Or, the aforementioned '90 Camaro could have a very mild small block dropped in it for about $1,000 and run in the 11s without breaking much of a sweat at all.

Want a 10.90-second 1/4 mile car? I can build you a domestic one for about $2,500 on top of the price of the car. It's so easy to do, it's scary. Building a 10.90-second SE-R is do-able (and has been done), but it'll be somewhat more expensive to do in the long run. If that's all you're concerned about (1/4 mile), then go get a domestic. You'll spend way less money going fast in a straight line as a result.

Don't believe me? Go price a high-lift cam for a small-block Chevy and a set of cams for the SR20 and get back to me. Want an aftermarket cylinder head with specific cc volumes in the combustion chamber? I can have two of them by mail order for any small-block Chevy, for less than the price to have a shop custom-make one for my SR20. How about a set of 12:1 compression pistons, dished or domed? Dirt cheap for domestics, expensive-as-hell for SR20s or even Honduhs.

No, imports *do not* have the advantage when it comes down to the 1/4 mile, either performance-per-dollar spent, or otherwise. Especially FWD ones. They do have the advantage in build quality, strength of stock components (mostly), handling, and in other areas. Yes, you can make a SR20 run just as fast as most domestics. Depends on how much you've got to spend. Imports are fun to do because it's still an evolving form of hot-rodding. It's a young movement, still in the growing stage.

And yes, it's much fun to run a domestic close (or maybe even beat one) at the dragstrip. The reactions are interesting. That's a viable plus. Nobody expects it. So, I'll agree with you on that one. It's fun to figure out what works, and what doesn't, on a SR20. It can be expensive, too.

Not wanting to start a flame war here, but I just get tired of fellow import owners who think that their car is more than what it is, right out of the box.

·
I Keep It Unique
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hey just one question for you why do you think they stopped making the Camaros? Answer: Nobody wants them!!!:D

SERprise In WV said:
Not wanting to start a flame war here, but I just get tired of fellow import owners who think that their car is more than what it is, right out of the box.

Thats not it at all man:rolleyes:

·
Registered
521 Posts
they haven't quit making them yet, the stop prdution date isn't till the end of 2002 ther is still another year, why did Nissan stop prodution of the 300zx?? Why did Toyota stop making the supra, and Mazda the RX-7. these are all cars that I would of bought and plenty of other people to. They sell plenty of Camaros. there are more of them out there than any sports car right now.

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
"why did Nissan stop prodution of the 300zx?? Why did Toyota stop making the supra, and Mazda the RX-7."

Why are they coming back with the Rx-8, why is the 350Z coming??? I dont know, I think that the sales of these cars are coming back around from what they were with the cars on top of this page. I am going to say my opinion on the camaro's and WS6's. They feel like a moving bathtub, and for some reason a WS6 feels like a little bit lower moving bathtub. And for 1/4 mile standards, would you like to make 10 runs on a se-r w/a BB motor and feel good about the car or would you like to make those same 10 runs on a camaro making the same times. The reliability standards come into play a lot with this situation.

Personally, I wouldnt think twice about towing my car to the track. With a comaro, What would be the first thing on my mind is "How am I going to get home if this thing breaks". Dont get me wrong, They are cheaper to build and they can gain a lot of horsepower with little things. But I wouldnt want to drive one everyday.

That Pearl vision **** cracked me up!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts