SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Im driving slow and apply the brakes, I feel the ABS kick in for no reason. It normally happens when I first get in the car and start going (e.g. going through a parking lot), but it has happened at other various times. One time today it happened and it scared the **** out of me because my pedal got real hard, but the car wasnt stopping, then I felt the ABS, then finally stopped. Thankfully I have never had it happen while Im on the highway, but if I let this go, do you think that could eventually happen? Anybody have ANY clue as to what might be causing this???

-jason

·
Registered
146 Posts
never owned an abs car(including the '93 ser classic posted for sale)...anyway this is normal when you first start the car (first 10 seconds maybe) the abs system checks itself and depending on the abs unit design you may feel the brakes apply if your foot is on the brakes. could be normal but this will only happen when vehicle started.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sr20:
anyway this is normal when you first start the car (first 10 seconds maybe) the abs system checks itself...</font>
No, I know exactly what your talking about, and its not that. When my ABS checks itself, I hear a hum for about 2 seconds the second I get rolling. This is happening when I start, AS WELL AS other various times Im driving. I never have any indication when its going to happen.
-jason

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
Possible one of your wheel sensors is going bad or maybe one of the rotors(abs wheels) is bad. Have you had the wheels off or changed any kind of part axle or something?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by skyliner:
Possible one of your wheel sensors is going bad or maybe one of the rotors(abs wheels) is bad. Have you had the wheels off or changed any kind of part axle or something?</font>
No I havent. But I noticed this morning the ABS isnt checking itself when I start going. Im going to take the wheels off tomorrow to see if there is a loose or corroded wire or something.

-jason

G

·
0 Posts
When you start your car and happen to back up, you'll feel the click in the brake pedal from your ABS activating, this is supposed to happen. A lot of times you'll just hear it activate, but if you feel after starting, this is totally normal. As far as activating while driving, hmmmmm....I don't know. Quite possibly a faulty sensor or something. Did you check to see how much tread you have on your tires?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by niska:
Did you check to see how much tread you have on your tires?</font>
Check my tire tread?? what the...when I said it was happening when I was going slow (e.g. parking lot)...I meant while I was braking and going slow. Catch my drift? :p

Mmmm, anyways, I checked out the ABS control unit and got the diagnostic code. Its telling me a code of 5 which means something is wrong with my left front wheel sensor circuit. Does anybody know if this is something like a wire harness that I can just replace or am I gonna have to let a dealer service it?

-jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts