SR20 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My abs on my car has not been working since i bought it, and i dont no why its not, but while i was doing a search on abs problems i came across some people who do not like it, so i was thinking is it worth getting fixed as i have never drivin a car with abs so is it any good?.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Yep, I like my ABS. Have had it on two different cars now (Nissan N15 Pulsar SSS and now my NX-R) and it has definately helped out on occassion to avoid accidents - I would have been cleaned up a couple of times but the ABS allowing steering under hard brakes has saved the day.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Right. I have no ABS on my SE-R and I have smoked the tires while braking on several occasions. By far the worst part is the B14's tendency to understeer a lot - having no ABS triggers understeer very easily at the limit.

Your average Joe, who would simply slam on the brake pedal in an emergency braking situation, will stop as quickly and with as much control as a professional driver in a non-ABS car.

Those who don't like ABS are those who compete, mostly. it can hamper maneuverability and it's harder to make the tires slip by braking. Just like throttle by wire, it's good but has it's drawbacks. ABS is essentially "braking by wire." Unless you work on threshold braking though, non-ABS could just as easily hurt more than help at the limit.

personally I prefer no ABS because I want to compete in the future and I want as little as possible between me and the driving experience. but I must admit my previous car's ABS saved my ass on several occasions, there is definitely some peace of mind knowing that in a bad situation ABS can give you that extra few seconds... or extra few inches... when you need it lol. Good luck

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
I'd like ABS on the street for panic situations but I'd prefer not to have it on the track. Its another then to get between the driver and feel of the road.

·
GT30R'd Up
1,813 Posts
I don't have ABS on my B14. Locked Tires at 70mph can be a lil tricky but Catching the rear end is always fun! LOL I presonally like no ABS a lil better, it feels a lil more solid when you brake, no fade feeling at all. It can get a lil dangerous sometimes without it tho!

Allan

·
Jesus shaved
443 Posts
I have ABS on my 92 classic and actually, I kind of like it. I thought it would suck ass for when I went road racing, but it was great. It prevented me on numerous occasions from flat spotting a tire. I never locked the tires up and the car actually had a tendency to oversteer. David, who set up the track day and races in a cup series i believe, drove my car and he said it was actually leaning much more towards oversteer than understeer.

It might have been a different story on an autocross track when theres a lot more braking involved, but for the streets and for road racing, I don't think its a bad thing to have at all. On the snow and ice here in Colorado it's saved my butt once or twice too. No more ABS bashing from me! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
MaddMatt said:
Maybe you guys in England and Australia got a better system, but the ABS on the early SE-Rs in the US sucks ass.
I read that the B13s had an early form of ABS, but it was built into the car so that the front left/ rear right wheels were linked together, as well as the front right/rear left. It worked fine during normal driving but as soon as traction was disrupted on individual tires of the car, the system would start doing some wierd things at the opposite corner and then kinda quit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts